Breeds? - Page 19 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Pet Passions

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-11-2010, 08:41 PM
Re: Breeds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple donut View Post
My 5-year old granddaughter got bit by her uncles pit bull at my ex-husband's house. Everyone has insisted for the last 3 years that this dog is "so friendly" - but I never believed them. The dog went after me the first time I tried to pick up my other granddaughter (2 years old, one if it's "owners"). The dog has bit another child previous to this, and attacked several other neighbor dogs unprovoked. She attached my 5 year old granddaughter when she was trying to help my 2 year old granddaughter put her shoes on. My granddaughter required 10 stitches, fortunately most under her hairline, but some right near her right eye. A fraction of an inch and she probably would have lost her eye!!! And what is being done, several relatives are fighting having the dog put down, and the owner (my son) is being torn apart. He knows he should have the dog put down, but his sisters (including the mother of the bitten child) don't want him to, as well as the grandfather (my ex-husband). I told my son I'd PAY for the dog to be put down. What does it take, another child to be bitten or WORSE!!!! I am living in fear every day every time the phone rings!
My very first thoughts on this (other than to say how sorry I am this happened) is to ask was the dog snorfleed? and was it properly socialized and trained.

My Sara is a pitbull/shepherd mix and the sweetest dog on the planet. Still, there is no way I would ever leave her unattended, much less unattended with kids. I live in an apartment building and I always teach the kids here that if they encounter a strange dog, to pretend they're a tree. Freeze and don't make eye contact.

If your son's dog bites another person, the authorities will no doubt impound and probably destroy the dog.

It is rarely the dog's fault, but the owner. People need to realize that dogs, like kids, need training, discipline, socialization -- all the things that keep us out of jail and dogs out of the pound.

I've had large dogs for the past 25 or so years, Huskies, Akitas and Sara is my first pit mix. None of my dogs have had aggression issues because I don't believe in that. Dogs are territorial and so attack training them is like having a gun without a safety around the house.

There is a wonderful website I'd like to share that has so much good information about pitbulls and a lot of mythbusting. It's www.wallacethepitbull.com

Where I live, we have BadRap, an organizatin that rehabs pitbulls and works to educate the public. Those of us who are working against BSL say "Punish the deed, not the breed."

Bobbe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-11-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Where I live, we have BadRap, an organizatin that rehabs pitbulls and works to educate the public. Those of us who are working against BSL say "Punish the deed, not the breed."
I am from the Bay area and I have heard of this organization, I think it is such an incredibly good thing! I too believe "Punish the deed, not the breed" XOXO
Unread 05-11-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee34 View Post
I am from the Bay area and I have heard of this organization, I think it is such an incredibly good thing! I too believe "Punish the deed, not the breed" XOXO
BadRap totally rocks! They hold their training sessions down the block from Berkeley Animal Care Services. I've seen them before. I would totally adopt a pitbull from them. Their standards are really high.

Back around 2006 or so, a police officer was returning a 17-year-old who was out after curfew -- when they entered the yard, the officer was attacked by a pack of 5 chihuahuas and ended up in the ER with ankle bites. I know this sounds like an urban legend, but I remember watching it on the news. Too funny. And people are worried about pitbulls?

Bobbe
Unread 05-11-2010, 09:14 PM

I am partial to Collies and so far all the ones I have had been male. The first one was a Collie Aussie mix named Scooter that passed away at 8 yrs old. He was a totally awesome dog and absolutely loved to swim.

My present dog is a 10 yr old Rough Collie that looks so much like Lassie. I have had so many people say to me hey look it's Lassie....he is not a typical collie dog; he is what I would consider a virtual collie. My family has horses and when the horses are running around; he stays in the back yard and barks--the retriever is the one that is running with the horses. He is a true couch potato in all sense of the words by lounging on either the couch or bed all day. He is truly the love of my life; sorry DH.
Unread 05-11-2010, 09:16 PM

Haha @ Chihuahuas! I totally believe it, it seems small dogs have what they call "little dog syndrome" They really don't know their size. I have a Pekingese that is the craziest little dog ever. She literally tries to beat my pitbull up. Hopefully one day the news will show attacks by all dogs and not single out just pitbulls *sigh* Hope you have a lovely week =]
Unread 05-11-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Haha @ Chihuahuas! I totally believe it, it seems small dogs have what they call "little dog syndrome" They really don't know their size. I have a Pekingese that is the craziest little dog ever. She literally tries to beat my pitbull up. Hopefully one day the news will show attacks by all dogs and not single out just pitbulls *sigh* Hope you have a lovely week =]
Rescue Ink is being shown on Dr. Phil right now. It's a show about dog fighting and animal abuse.
Unread 05-11-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbeleh View Post
Rescue Ink is being shown on Dr. Phil right now. It's a show about dog fighting and animal abuse.
I watch that show =]
Unread 05-11-2010, 09:28 PM

I have a male pomeranian mixed with who knows what that I adopted 5 years ago. He is the center of my world.
I always wanted a smaller dog, but at the shelter he stole my heart.
Unread 05-11-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
I watch that show =]
I hope they have a second season. I loved Season #1. I also watch Pit Boss, It's Me or the Dog, and Dog Whisperer.

I can't really imagine life without dogs.

Unread 05-11-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
I have 1 Pekingese ( Mz Zoey LaRue ) who thinks she is the queen of my house ( but is so not LOL ) and 1 Staffordshire pit bull ( Delilah ) who is the sweetest dog ever..she never met another animal or a person she didn't love. I bought her from a family. She was the last of the liter and nobody wanted her because she was the runt and had an under bite, but that made me want her even more =]
Sara (www.dogster.com/dogs/68720) is now 11-1/2 years old and has gone from Princess to Queen to Empress to Goddess and of course, that makes me temple attendant, right? LOL.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register