Hmmmm | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 06-30-2004, 10:02 PM
Hmmmm

I'm not sure how to put this, but I'll try....

I was looking on the pre-op and post-op boards, and I noticed someone say something about BM. Well I'm not a 'regular' go every day type of person. I've always been that way, as long as I can remember, even as a kid. Now when I had my gallbladder out the doctor told me to take senekot, and I will never ever take that again, I never had so many cramps as I did when I took that!
My question is this....what happens when your not a regular go every day type of person after surgery? I know after my c-sections I just had to wait and drink lots of warm water to get the gas moving, also the walking helped....but like I said I'm not a go every day person, so is this going to be a big problem when I'm at the hospital, because I'm reading that they want to make sure everything is moving before you leave the hospital....also has everyone had to take Milk of Magnesia? Does it taste bad? I'm just getting very overwhelmed with having to wait for this surgery and also with my upcoming move into our own home....so if anyone can help I would be very grateful !!!! Thank you in advance!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-30-2004, 10:26 PM
Hmmmm

I'm not an every day kind of person either. In fact, sometimes I'm lucky to be twice a week. When I do go, there's no straining - so I don't consider myself to be constipated just sluggish.

They don't make you stay in the Castle until a BM - they just want to be sure that you're moving things around in there so passing gas and having bowel sounds is good enough - don't panic.

You do want to keep gas moving - I took Gas-X pretty regularly throughout my 6 weeks. I think I've taken it twice since then, I'm 10 weeks now.

I took Metamucil on alternating days with Milk of Magnesia chewables (they're chocolate!) - some gals used the liquid in a vanilla flavor. The chewables are "gentle", so they didn't cause the cramping that I've had in my past with the full liquid stuff.

Mostly, keep an eye on your dietary intake - get some fruit every day, or fresh veggies - to be sure you get enough roughage/fiber. Drink water like it's going out of style and walk a little more each day to keep things moving. Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez!

The biggest concern is that you don't want to strain at BM during your recovery - the abdominal pressure can be rough on your healing insides. Also, if you're having any kind of rectocele repair you REALLY don't want to strain that first few weeks, from what I understand.

Hope this puts your mind at ease a little.
Unread 07-01-2004, 02:22 AM
Hmmmm

I would talk to your doctor about the policy of the hospital where you will be staying. I know that the one that I will be staying at a BM is a must before they will let you go home so I really think that it depends on the doctor and hospital that you are going to be staying at. dont worry they will give you something to help you go and MOM does not taste that bad and really it is better than suffering from not going. I used to be a twice a week BM mover and now I go every day but I take a colon cleanse about every 6 months now and that seems to help me out alot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-01-2004, 03:06 AM
Hmmmm

I'm not the most regular person in the world either, but the time before last when I had surgery & nothing was moving, the nurses asked the Dr to give me something to get things moving. (this was after 3 days) I can't remember what it was I was given, but it was not an exploding type of laxative but a gentle mover. lol I had a couple of cramps, but nothing too bad.
If you do have a problem (as the painkillers can bung things up) just asked for something to get it all moving, I'm sure they will give you a helping hand with this problem.
Unread 07-01-2004, 05:43 AM
Hmmmm

What is a rectocele repair? I'm not really sure what I'm having done completely, and he said he really wouldn't know if the bladder is attached to the uterus until he got in there. But said it was most likely it will be. With have had 3 c-sections, I know I have scar tissue, but it's the fibroids in the uterus that I'm worried about, because they didn't show up on the ultrasound, but they did show up on the catscan.
I'm not an every day or even once a week type of person and the one doc after my gallbladder surgery, said I have to 'retrain' my body, and when I asked my mom how I was when I was a baby and all, she said I was never a every day type of baby/kid. So how does one retrain themselves to go every day? I know my husband does everyday, but he's also a smoker and coffee drinker and needs those to go every day....lol
I don't know, maybe I'm just a wierdo....lol
Thank you all for the wonderful advice and support....it does make me feel a lil less stress about it all!
Unread 07-01-2004, 06:57 AM
Hmmmm

I was a 2x a week girl myself most of my life. I would strain a lot which contributed to part of my surgery. My rectum had prolapsed (it made a little pocket before the exit) and the doctor had to fix that as well.

After 36 years of straining & pushing I didn'y know how to get myself to go more regularly so the doctor said to take 2 stool softeners a day (I take one with breakfast & one with dinner). It's not a laxative, it just helps to move things along. I also take a Magnesium pill which helps bring water into the colon.

After surgery it took 6 days to have a BM - mainly because I wasn't eating that much and the drugs clog you. After I got off the pain killers (4 days) my body said to 'go'. The doctor said to to a 2 min rule - sit there for 2 mins & don't push/strain and if nothing happens, go back later. I've trained myself to do this (it took time) and things are better - I go almost every day. I do notice that if I have a lot of bready/strachy things one day I won't 'go' the next.

For me it's a wonderful thing to go almost every day without pushing/straining. Though I do have to take the stool softeners for the rest of my life (they aren't addictive)
Unread 07-01-2004, 08:04 AM
my experience this week

Hi sneax! A rectocele is where the bowel kind of relaxes and pushed into the vagina. It is from having children vaginally and also getting older, according to my docs. To repair it they push it back where it belongs and stitch up the area between the vagina and the bowel to support it.

Please call the hospital nursing staff where you are going to go. My docs and hosp gave me phone numbers of the nurse that would be in charge of my surgery on the floor and she answered everything for me. It made it all so much easier as I knew exactly what their procedures were.

ONE THING I WISH I WOULD HAVE DONE:Take stool softeners for a few days before surgery. They are over the counter meds that the nurse said I would get after surgery. I wish I would have taken them before so that first BM after was soft.
I didn't have to have a BM to leave the hospital, they listened for the gurgling sounds that the bowel was active.

I too freaked out about everything. It will all work out, and I felt like I wasted a lot of time worrying. But it did force me to call the docs office, and the hospital nurses as it was suggested by them if I had any questions. I even called the anestheiologists office and a dr of anestheologist called me back. He was sooo wonderful and nice and put me quite at ease. He said, "We are looking forward to taking good care of you' A calm positive patient going in makes a great patient coming out of surgery. So I tried to focus on that.

Feel free to pm me if you have any more questions. I am recovering and getting bored to death!
Unread 07-01-2004, 11:05 AM
Hmmmm

I got the cherry-flavored MOM and it's not all that bad. It sure did the trick for me!

Mimi
Unread 07-01-2004, 12:27 PM
Hmmmm

Constipation has been my unwelcome companion my entire life. I well remember my mother giving me enemas when I was a very young child. Hoping I'm not being too graphic here.... it has not been uncommon for me to have a BM that seems like I'm giving birth! So I was VERY concerned about this after surgery. I knew I didn't need to strain the way I normally do. I wondered how the heck I was going to manage this.

As it turned out, I had nothing to worry about. I believe the first thing that helped me was that my Dr. ordered TWO days of clear liquid diet before surgery, plus the Fleet Phospho-soda colon cleanse. By doing this, I was totally empty when I had the surgery. After surgery, I was on liquid diet for another 2 days. Then I started eating but didn't have much appetite. These things combined to keep me from having a lot of stool in there that might have impacted due to the pain pills.

I was able to pass gas in the hospital, and that's all they required. I went home on the 3rd day after surgery. On the 4th day, when I had not had a BM yet, I sent Hubby out after a bottle of Milk of Magnesia. I took 3 tbls of it that night. I have a slow system, so it didn't work on me till the next morning. I then had a very easy, comfortable BM. I wanted to yell from the rooftop, I was so happy! LOL! For several days after that, my BM's were loose. I don't know if the MOM stayed in my system for several days or what, but I'm not complaining, for sure!

Tomorrow I will be 4 weeks post op. During this time, I have taken MOM about once a week. If I find that I'm having trouble having a BM, I don't wait around and hope for action the next day. I go ahead and take a dose of MOM to get things moving. It works like a charm!

I will say that in the past, MOM didn't do much for me. However, the few times I took it, I had waited several days without a BM, so things were really "backed up" in there. Now, I don't wait. I go ahead and take it at the first sign of a problem. I also drink a large glass of water with it, which I think helps bring water to the colon to loosen things up.

Bottom line is, I was just as worried about having this problem as you are, but it turned out just fine for me. Just keep on top of the problem and don't let yourself get "backed up". You'll be fine!

Jan
Unread 07-01-2004, 02:47 PM
Hmmmm

Thanks Jan! I appreciate you being so honest with me! I still don't know what a Fleet Phospho-soda colon cleanse is.....
Do they give that to you before surgery or before you even go to the hospital? Ugh....I hate the unknown...lol
Thanks again!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register