Lymph Nodes Involved | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Lymph Nodes Involved Lymph Nodes Involved

Unread 07-01-2004, 02:11 PM
Lymph Nodes Involved

I had a hysterectomy in May and had my 1st chemo for ovarian cancer 2 weeks ago (my hair is falling out fast and furious). My main concern, aside from my bladder fistula, is that the Pet scan done after surgery showed some lymph node involvement. My surgeon (gynocologist) did not test the nodes. I also hold him responsible for the fistula. I now know that I should have had an onc/surgeon but everything happened so fast, I didn't have any idea at that point. My Onc says that the chemo should take care of the lymph nodes but I'm afraid that my chances of recurrence or spread is higher. I was never given proper staging but the Drs don't seem to be too concerned with that. It's only statistics. I don't know what to expect. I feel pretty good and am pretty sure that I'll survive this, but there are lots of doubts & fears. Anyone had lymph node involvement?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-01-2004, 02:22 PM
Lymph Nodes Involved

Huge s

I wish I could give you some of the answers that you are wanting, but alas my cancer was different and I "assume" I have no lymph node involvement. When I went in for my hyst I thought I had ovca but the onc/doc did frozens path on the ovaries and they came back clean, so she didn't do the lymph nodes. But I get out of surgery and go home to find out that when the "final" path came out I had endocervical cancer, I had cat scans, and a pet scan all came back clear. But I too would have felt better if they would have checked the nodes by actually looking at them closely (under a microscope). But they didn't and I have learned to live with it, figuring that they were fried by the radiation, and/or killed by the chemo and permanantly fused to where ever they are.

I wish you the best of luck with your future chemos and soon may this too be just a distant memory.

God Bless
Unread 07-01-2004, 02:37 PM
Lymph Nodes Involved

Wow, you have been through a lot. Nobody knows where this trail will lead. Was the surgery for your fistula successful the first time? I've read some scary stories about that. Was it vaginal or abdominal surgery? I have to see a surgeon Tuesday and just want it done right the first time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-01-2004, 02:43 PM
Nodes

I too didn't have a gyn/onc. At least my ob/gyn surgeon took out a lot of nodes and four were positive. When I recurred both times, it was in other lymph nodes and the chemo knocked that out (but not the 2.6 cm spot on the peritoneum this time, alas). Can you get your case reviewed by a gyn/onc? He or she may have more advice for you.
Unread 07-01-2004, 04:37 PM
Lymph Nodes Involved

s Judy

First let me say that it is never too late to consult with a gynecologic oncologist. They are the experts for doing followup pelvic exams and visually looking for and palpating your pelvis for any recurrences. My own gyn/oncologist told me early on that she would be my gyn always. An ob/gyn truly is not qualified to perform this care.
I too had lymph node involvement. Once lymph nodes are involved you automatically drop to a Stage IIIc.
I had my surgery in May of 2001, completed six rounds of chemo in October 2001, and still appear to be cancer free.
If you would like, email me and I will send you some excellent web sites for learning more about this cancer.
Best wishes to you. I hope you continue to post on CC.

karenann
Unread 07-02-2004, 10:57 AM
frustrating, I know

Judy,
My heart goes out to you. This is scary stuff and to feel that someone dropped the ball along the way makes it all the worse.

I have a different type of cancer than you but with spread to lymph nodes. They still class me as stage 1B1 because I had an unusual spread (it didn't take over any other areas before going to the lymph nodes).

Long story short is that when they told me they had found two positive lymph nodes, my instinct was that they should open me back up and take out more. But both my gyn/onc and my rad/onc said that it would be surgically impossible to do that -- there are just too many lymph nodes and we do need some of them.

Soooo, I went through radiation and chemo simultaneously. I (and they) expect that if there were still other positive lymph nodes, they would not have been likely to survive the agressive treatments.

I agree with Karenann that you should be in the care of a gyn/onc for all of your follow-up.

I always enjoy Karenann's postings because she is one very knowledgeable gal (and caring too!). I know she will be a good person for you to keep in touch with.

Karenann, do you know of web-sites regarding my type and stage of cancer with spread to lymph nodes? I really haven't found any information out there.
Unread 07-02-2004, 11:05 AM
Lymph Nodes Involved

Judy --

I would like to second (or third!) Karenann's advice to go to a gyn onc. With ovarian cancer, one thing that is helpful to good outcomes is "optimal debulking" or getting rid of as much cancer as is visible at the time of the initial surgery.

Some gyn oncs used to do a second look operation, usually through a laproscope once chemo is over. This was another opportunity to remove any remaining disease. While not usually done for patients who have been "optimally debulked" by a gyn onc at the time of their original surgery, I do known it is still used occasionally. Now would be a great time to consult a gynecological oncologist and plan how you will manage this disease here out.

Dorrie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register