Recovery frustrations | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery frustrations Recovery frustrations

Unread 11-28-2000, 01:05 PM
Recovery frustrations

To all the princesses:
Listen to the advice to rest rest rest!

I just needed to vent a little. This recovery stuff is slow going. I had LAVH on Nov 1st and by now everyone expects me to feel 100%, and I feel yucky. I have never had such a hard time recovering from anything-I have had severe back pain, my asthma acted up making me cough like heck and pulling stitches; now my family is fighting the flu and I still feel like a weak kitten. I have been trying to get out some and at least go to grocery or just walk around but it makes me so sore and tired, and after taking son to Dr today, I am exhausted and in a lot of pain and the bleeding is back. I guess I overdid it. But who needs this? I am dreading going back to work in 2 weeks as I don't feel like I have actually had time to get back to normal. I have been going baby steps forward and more steps back. The nightsweats and insomnia are awful, too. It is so frustrating! My boss has called to see if I will ask my Gyn to release me sooner as it is taking 3 people to do my job and they are busy. I told her I had a set back and would be lucky to be back in 2 weeks, just to shut her up.
I guess this is all normal at almost 4 weeks post-op but I am generally not a whiner and this has been harder than I expected.
Thanks for listening.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-28-2000, 01:18 PM
Recovery frustrations

Cyn - Sounds like you're doing too much too soon and your body is telling you it's not ready. I still had internal stitches at 4 weeks post...and even after stitches dissolve the areas that were stitched together are fragile. Get back in bed for a few days...if possible. Call dr. if discharge is "bright red"...but above all REST - FEET UP.

It DOES get better...I know it's hard to believe now but it really does. You're at the point in recovery that you want to feel better...but you're just not physically there yet. Pace yourself...it will happen.

I didn't got back to work until 7 weeks post and then just for 1/2 days. I was totally exhausted each day and crawled back into bed each evening. Take everything SLOW and EASY...I know the road is hard but we're here with you.
Unread 11-28-2000, 01:25 PM
Recovery frustrations

Oh my, this does sound like not much fun. Sounds like on top of everything else, you may have the flu. I think that any infection will take longer to recover from and you will feel worse from the beginnning just because you are already compromised from the hysterectomy.

I am only two weeks post op today, but I am just having one of those stay in the nightgown and whine type of days.

Hope you feel better soon...and hope you get lots of tea and sympathy.

Do you think it should be a prerequisite of being a boss to have gone through at least a childbirth, a major operation, a family emergency, a death of someone close, or the pipes bursting at the same time as someone's check that they wrote you bounced? Oh heck, perhaps they just need a month with three acting out teenagers and a couple of two year olds. I think family leave policies would be soooooooo much different if bosses came with these prerequisites, don't you?

Hope you at least got a chuckle....

hang in there...

terfemme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-28-2000, 03:36 PM
From another Nov 1 Sister

Cyn,
I know just how you feel. The discharge papers they gave me said I would feel abdominal discomfort for "7 to 10 days". Heck, before the surgery they gave me a phamplet on LAVH that told of one woman who was "back power walking" at 5 days post op. (I ended up with a vaginal instead of LAVH)..
Here I am one day short of four weeks and still feel weak after just doing lunch with a friend. If I were working there is no way I'd be going back now.
I called the Dr. today about my (moderate) pain, gas and painful BM's. They seem to think this is somewhat normal, or at least they were not concerned. I'd like to know someone who really went back to "power walking" five days after a hysterectomy, what ever kind they had. Wouldn't you?
Unread 11-28-2000, 08:10 PM
Recovery frustrations

I've been called twice by a lady from church - who I'm sure didn't MEAN anything bad but when I was two weeks post op... NO I didn't want to go to the bowling party. This weekend is the curling party... not interested in that either !! She thought I would have it done vaginally and it would be "no big deal" Hysterectomy is ALWAYS a big deal !

I complained about all the stabbing pain to my dr and he said oh yeah you'll feel much better by 4 months maybe 6... that is different than feeling great in 6 weeks...

I don't feel great but it IS a huge relief not to be continually bleeding ! Even just that is SOMETHING !

Unread 11-28-2000, 08:12 PM
not ready for the rodeo......

ok ,so its official..we are not lazy.. not sympathy junkies..not malingering...not getting even with everybody for doing their laundry all these years.(well I confess to liking that angle) We all had honest to God big ole operations!!!and at 4 wks we are NOT healed.We are Not ready to go back to work, rake the yard,pick up anything over ten pounds.or even vacuum....I am saying this because I spent what would be a normal day doing housework just to see what my tolerance is and i feel like I got hit by a school bus.....Im going to bed.love lass
Unread 11-28-2000, 09:04 PM
Still Yucky after all these Days!

My big day was 10/18 (appx. 5 weeks) & I still feel yucky sometimes. Family sometimes forgets I'm supposed to stay home AND REST! I guess I look back to normal, but I sure tire easy & feel pains in the abdominal area whenever I walk more than a couple blocks. I too have never had to recover from anything sooo major. The sweats & insomnia have me watching TV till 5am. Don't know what I'll do when I get back to work. Feel so lonely sometimes, glad to know I'm not alone.....I'll try to stay positive!....
  Quote:
Originally posted by C
To all the princesses:
Listen to the advice to rest rest rest!

I just needed to vent a little. This recovery stuff is slow going. I had LAVH on Nov 1st and by now everyone expects me to feel 100%, and I feel yucky. I have never had such a hard time recovering from anything-I have had severe back pain, my asthma acted up making me cough like heck and pulling stitches; now my family is fighting the flu and I still feel like a weak kitten. I have been trying to get out some and at least go to grocery or just walk around but it makes me so sore and tired, and after taking son to Dr today, I am exhausted and in a lot of pain and the bleeding is back. I guess I overdid it. But who needs this? I am dreading going back to work in 2 weeks as I don't feel like I have actually had time to get back to normal. I have been going baby steps forward and more steps back. The nightsweats and insomnia are awful, too. It is so frustrating! My boss has called to see if I will ask my Gyn to release me sooner as it is taking 3 people to do my job and they are busy. I told her I had a set back and would be lucky to be back in 2 weeks, just to shut her up.
I guess this is all normal at almost 4 weeks post-op but I am generally not a whiner and this has been harder than I expected.
Thanks for listening.

Unread 11-28-2000, 11:46 PM
Recovery frustrations

I am glad to hear everyone else is still struggling at some point (glad for me not for you--just some validation I am not crazy) Everyone I talk to assumes I should be up and running as usual--so I have been. (Even my Dr. told me yesterday no restrictions and I could resume work whenever!!!--one restriction of nothing in the vagina) I have resumed usual schedule and seem to be doing ok physically, but I have turned into such a mean mother I just want to cry. My DH works such long days, I am really feeling the pressure, and my kids are taking the brunt of all of it!!! I also just started antibiotics for bronchitis and ear infections----I can't even lay around with a "regular" sickness!! THANKS for letting me vent, I will be OK in a few minutes....
Unread 11-29-2000, 10:00 AM
Not okay

You won't be okay in a few minutes if you have bronchitis, an ear infection, and are recovering from a hysterectomy while working and taking care of kids. Actually, it might just take more than a few moments. Just a thought.

All through the letters here, and in my own posts, I often see a lot of feeling badly that we can not do what we used to do right now, feeling badly that we have emotional moments that disturb family and friends [not to mention tire us out and freak us out] and feeling badly that we are simply not well.

Heck, I look well. I walk straight up now. I am dressed and sitting at my computer. Soups on [made from scratch], the dog food has been made, I counseled a friend, a friend is coming for lunch, I fixed the flowers, ironed the dresser scarfs, showered, called my doctor to get an appointment this afternoon for a urine culture to check that pain on urination and bleeding thing, opened the blinds, and picked up the house. It's 11 AM and I am 15 days post op with a hemoglobin of 7 at surgery...oh hey, it could be a 9 by now, don't you think? Clearly my expectation of myself and my picture to the world is that I am just fine.

I know, as does my spouse, that at least by 5 PM tonight, I will be crying, exhausted, and in pain. Possibly I will be on even more meds. My hormones will still be in blender mode, and I will be pretending that everything is just fine, and like the woman who wrote....she will be fine in a moment even though she has bronchitis, an ear infection, and is recovering from a hysterectomy while managing her life.

Ah, but we are the lucky ones you know. We have each other to whisper rest, rest,rest. We occasionaly come here and get perspective. All over the world there are women doing this alone without one single person whispering rest, rest, rest.

Hang in there everyone...and let's do try to remember that it takes what it takes to get through this. It just is.

Terfemme
Unread 11-29-2000, 11:21 AM
Recovery frustrations

Oh My! You guys are wonderful as always. I was about to start a new string but realize I can join the ranks right here. Thanks for the poetic words of wisdom from you all.

My story: I'm exactly 3 weeks post-op, and have had a very nasty cold/flu virus for the past week. Despite the bug, since surgery I've been on a PRETTY big high. Good humor, less pain than I expected, taking little walks, two little "outings", laughing at life, thrilled at my good fortune.

Last night I crashed. Sobbing in the middle of the night. Insomnia REAL bad. Suddenly overwhelmed that 3 weeks have gone by and I don't nearly have my act together enough to even think about returning to my stressful job (but have been emailing and on the phone a bit). I very carefully typed up a permission slip to the hospital yesterday to get a copy of my surgery report. Found out this morning that I not only gave them the wrong fax #, but didn't even get my home phone # right. Instead of laughing, I'm crying. And to top it all off, I'm addicted to stupid CNN and getting frustrated daily that I can't figure out what's going on in Florida! lol Way too complex.

So maybe I'll try taking a few steps back and pretend I just got home from the hospital. No expectations, a few candles (on these grey winter days!), a library book instead of work stuff, lots of tea, and of course the hystersisters (after I wash the tears off my face).

thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you
Jo

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register