Enema? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 07-01-2004, 06:33 PM
Enema?

Hi Ladys

Is it true, do you have to have an Enema before surgery? Bowel Prep? Great 2 more things to stress about

Angela
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-01-2004, 06:56 PM
Enema?

Some people do and some don't. I guess it depends on what type of surgery you are having and your dr.'s orders. If you have to do a bowel prep your'll do it 1-2 days before surgery. I had to drink this awful tasting stuff! I was allowed to drink anything I would like and eat yogurt (no fruit), soups,jello. I drank a lot of water and juice to keep hydrated.

Good Luck!

Debbie
Unread 07-01-2004, 07:41 PM
Enema?

You only have to do it if your doctor or the hospital told you to. I didn't have to do anything like that and when I asked about it at the hospital during my pre-op appointment they said "why?".

Ask your doctor, but don't do anything that he hasn't told you. Hopefully, you won't have to do it either!

Good luck to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-01-2004, 08:45 PM
Enema?

Hi there,
I just got done with my 2 enemas and vaginal douche - per orders from my Dr. Tomorrow morning I am having TAH including ovaries - found out today they can't do it through Vagina, as too much of my cervix was cut out with previous procedures. Not mentally prepared for this operation.

Today is my 43rd birthday and I had every relative, friend, collegeau call me to wish me a happy day and best of luck tomorrow. I feel very loved.

So yes, the enemas are horrid. Last week I had an IVB and a Barium enema - my poor bottom.

Best of luck to you.
Unread 07-02-2004, 12:44 AM
Enema?

I did not have to do bowel prep. SAH/BSO. Doctor didn't order it.

Do not do one unless he tells you to do it. You can become dehydrated from it if not done properly. That could delay your surgery

Good Luck!! See you on the other side

Unread 07-02-2004, 04:43 AM
Enema?

I had to do an enema and it wasn't that bad. Worked quickly and then it was all over with. No lingering effects.

Mimi
Unread 07-02-2004, 06:21 AM
Enema?

52Mimi, I'm so happy to hear that! I have to do an enema the night before (2 hours after my last meal). I was assuming that it was "fast and furious" (as the nurse said it would be) but I like to hear "first hand" opinions. I was assuming that it would be fast acting since she said I could do it an hour before bed time.

How long were you in the bathroom after using it?
Unread 07-02-2004, 06:52 AM
Enema?

The enema is indeed fast and furious. One time and it is over with. That is the good part.

About to do the final douche - wish I had one of you all's doctors who don't seem to request all these extra procedures - and then I'm off to the castle. Packing my bag with all the goodies suggested by this great site. Good luck to all of you and I'll see you on the other side.

Carola
Unread 07-02-2004, 07:06 AM
Enema?

matrose! You will be in my thoughts today (and the next few days)! I hope everything is a breeze for you today!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register