sent to ER Wed night by GP | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

sent to ER Wed night by GP sent to ER Wed night by GP

Unread 07-02-2004, 09:44 AM
sent to ER Wed night by GP

well on the way home Wed night my chest just kept getting heavier and heavier and my calf was hurting more and more so i figured I would pop in to my GP and see what he thought.....as my BP was up despite the BP med and my left leg was 3 inches bigger then my right and I was having chest pain he told me I needed to get to the ER pronto and to hop in a cab and he would call ahead...........

well somehow whomever he spoke with never got the message in the ER till much later I was left to wait in "fast track" with no one even taking as much as my BP until 9:00pm.....then the doc comes in I tell him what's going on and he says "you need to be in a bed hooked up to a monitor and for god's sake lie down I need to pass you off to the doc that handles the serious stuff"....

to make a very very long story short.....I had some chest pain that made me think I was in big big trouble......two IV's....alot of blood taken, an EEG (I think that's what it was called) twice, a chest xray......an ultrasound on my left and a double dose of Heparin (blood thinner).

a bloodclot is suspected but not found.....the heparin could've blown it out apparently .....and my chest pain could've been from that or my BP med which I have discontinued for now as my BP is really good right now........I"m seeing my GP this afternoon but besides being really tired and quite stupid from the lack of HRT I feel ok, chest pain is gone.....leg isn't swollen.........lets hope that's that........

I really got to see the good and bad side of our health system that's for sure.....I'm currently wearing about 1/8 of a birth control patch right now in hopes I A) won't react to it and B)it will give me enough hrt to make me a little smarter and help me sleep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-02-2004, 11:53 AM

Gidge,

I am so glad that you (eventually) got the care you needed at the ER. Sounds like a real messup on the part of whomever was in charge of triage, on top of the phone mess-up. I'm glad it turned out OK in the end and that your leg is back to normal.

Hey, I want you to know that you have lots of people that care about you on this site and we really want what's best for you. I am glad that you are posting regularly to let us know how you are.

Did you try posting on the NO HORMONE part of the hormone jungle board? I'll bet you would get great support over there from gals who have been without hormones and really know what you are going through. That's where I'd go if I were facing your lack of HRT, just for understanding and maybe a few helpful tips as a bonus!

Lots of s for you while you wait for a suitable HRT solution!
Unread 07-02-2004, 11:56 AM

thanks! Like I say I"m trying out the little piece of the bcp patch and see how I do with that......if not I"m heading to the desert

it's always good to know that someone is out there listening
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-02-2004, 12:23 PM
OMG!!!!

((((((((((Gidge))))))))))

Thank God your GP knew to send you to the ER - although I am so sorry you were left like that :burning: That makes me so angry!!! It must have been such a scary experience for you sweetie...I'm sorry for everything you are going through.

Like ((Michelle)) said...We are here for you 100% - I may not post as much as I used too, but I check in here everyday to see how my buds on the road are doing...

Please feel free to e-mail me anytime. I've been off of HRT for a couple of years at a time. I am currently taking 0.35 MG of Micronor (no estrogen BCP) only because my new Gyn feels it is very important (due to age etc). I had an extremely hard time when I first went off of estrogen, but I found great support in the desert. As ((((Michelle)))) said, the sisters are great over there.

If I can be of any help to you, please feel free to e-mail. Even though I am only taking the mini-pill (progestin only) I don't seem to be getting as many hot flashes. Strange though, I actually felt/feel better completely off of estrogen. It took a while for me to get there, but I felt somehow calmer. I know we are all wired differently, and I pray you can find something that works for you my friend. It also may be worth your while to find out if there are any compounding pharmacists in your area. I don't know how bio-identical(s) would work for you with all of your allergies etc., But it may be worth a try...

Sending you many S &

Jude
Unread 07-02-2004, 12:27 PM

You sure have had a tough time of it . Hopefully, soon all this will be behind you !
Unread 07-02-2004, 12:29 PM

thanks Jude and good to hear from ya

I get this weird "tight head" thing without estrogen it feels like my brain is scrunched up in a ball and won't relax....to sleep, think or anything else, it's really unbearable.....and I"m incredibly stupid.....I got lost in my mall yesterday afternoon, I'm there every 2nd day for goodness sake! Hopefully this patch will get me through until the Nuvaring is available here......wish I was in the U.S. they get it no problem!!

Yes the ER was scary especially with them leaving me for so long before seeing me.....and then they got all concerned hooked me up to everything and did all these tests and then just left me there for hours......I"d even gotten up to pee at one point and had to be unhooked from all the monitors and was just never hooked up again......yesterday when I went in for the 2nd part they never even took my BP it was bizarre......sometimes I feel lucky to just get what I get.....it shouldn't have to be that way! And then being there all alone wasn't nice but they only let me up to pee twice and I didn't want push my luck to call someone and it was after 10:00 by then anyways!

thanks for being there for me Jude....and everyone else, what would I do without you all I don't know!
Unread 07-02-2004, 01:19 PM

s and to you (((Gidge)))! I'm so sorry you have so much to deal with all of the time. Please take care as best you can and keep us posted on how you are doing with that tiny, tiny piece of bc patch!
Unread 07-02-2004, 01:23 PM

thanks

I'm thinking I'll have to add to this bit of patch I'm really feeling crappy but abit at a time.....usually I have to sneak stuff up on myself cause of my allergies.....crazy eh?
Unread 07-02-2004, 01:34 PM

so all morning I'm feeling so awful I think I'm getting the flu and then I remember.....when I first came home from the castle after the hyst and thinking ....jeesh I feel crappy like I'm getting the flu.....it's the lack of hormones......it makes me feel "fluey"......aha! (sorry just had to share that with y'all) I'm sure the blood thinner isn't helping any too!
Unread 07-02-2004, 02:21 PM

(((Gidge)))
While I'm glad your doc sent you for help, I am sorry that you didn't receive it promptly. Here in the states, an ER visit can be a roll of the dice. Sometimes I've received really good care, other times I've languished in pain for hours. Once they sent me home and I went to my doc's office that afternoon and he admitted me to the hospital! Geesh, I was just there that morning.

I hope the doc can get things sorted out and you will feel better soon. Something just has to work for you my friend.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register