Questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 07-02-2004, 11:15 AM
Questions

Can squamous cell carcinoma in situ of my ex-cervix really return in my vagina, and if so what are the chances? What will happen if it does? How do you know if it is hpv caused? That was never mentioned in my pathology. My DR said I "dodged the bullet" and all the edges were clear, but I was very high risk and would have to return for yearly paps.
I appreciate any replies. I would also love to hear from others who are (or have been) dealing this.

Bless you all! I can't say enuf about this site

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-02-2004, 11:38 AM
Questions

Nurse Misty,

The short answer to your first question is yes. Very rarely, dysplasia or cancer can recur in the vagina. Although this is very rare, it can happen. That is why you must follow up with continued Pap smears.

About HPV-an extremely high proportion of dysplasia and cancer is caused by a few strains of HPV. Some researchers are now saying that 99% is HPV-related. However, you can only be sure if your tissue was tested for HPV after biopsy. It can also be measured in the blood through a simple test of the serum, but this test is not as informative regarding current HPV status.

Best of luck to you.

Beth
Unread 07-02-2004, 11:38 AM
Questions

I did have a recurrence in the vagina, I believe it mainly due to the fact that when I was diagnosised with my endocervical cancer it was after my parts had went off to pathology, after my surgery. I am sure that if they would have known that I had endocervical adenocarcinoma before my surgery I more than likely wouldn't have had the recurrence, mainly because they take more of the vagina when they do a hyst for cervical cancer.

When they did my hyst it was for another type of cancer and when that showed that I didn't have that cancer they just went thru with the hyst as though it was for any benign reason.

I can only say that more than likely you wont have a recurrence, but I am not a fortune teller or a doctor . But being that you had a hyst for the cervical cancer they take out a little more of the vagina and surrounding tissue to make sure that they have clean margins in the pathology.

Basicly what I am trying to say is that yes if you have a recurrence it would be in the vagina, but that is very, very very rare.

I am a year out from my recurrence and I consider myself "Cancer Free"

Best of luck to you. Go for those yearly paps and try not to worry (easier said than done - I know)

God Bless
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-02-2004, 11:53 AM
Questions

If you had cervical cancer you need to see a gyn/onc for a second opinion. If I were you, I would be seeing a gyn/onc for check ups. They are the experts at recognizing cancer and cancer recurrences.

I am surprised that your doctor is only recommending pap smears once a year. Gyn/oncs normally recommend paps much more frequently for the first few years after a cancer diagnosis.

A recurrence is rare, but not unheard of. A gyn/onc is the best person to advice you.

Best,
Janie
Unread 07-02-2004, 01:23 PM
Questions

Thank you for your posts!

I found out that I had CIS, 2 wks after my TAH. My DR said that he is confident he removed it all (clear margins). I am just concerned with the idea that it can come back.
I had been so scared by my initial "bad" pap, done on may 7th (CIN III, results on the 17th). May 10th I had uterine biopsy and cervical scrape (to test elegibility for endometrial ablation, which is why I even found out). May 28th, I had culposcopy with a punch biopsy of my cervix and more scrapes, which came back moderate to severe dysplasia (results on June 8th). I was terrified and wanted it out.....TAH june 11. It is all a BLUR. My head is still swimming.

What will they do if it does come back? Can they tell from a pap. I am not too confident with just a pap. Is there something else, maybe another kind of test?

I am on hormones, but I cry so much. I think it is just begining to sink in, and I am terrified.

Sorry to be such a whiner. I have no where else to vent or anyone to talk to. I do work in OB, but am not comfortable talking to people at work. My best friend was murdered a year ago, she was my solace. I miss her terribly, even more now. My DH tries, but well.... its not the same.

I appreciate your replies so much! From the bottom of my heart I thank you.
Unread 07-02-2004, 03:40 PM
Questions

Hi ,
I was diagnosed as stage 1a cervical cancer. They decided to do a radical hysterectomy thus taking part of the vagina. Pathology found out that I also had a second tumor on the part of the vagina that they took out during the radical. I actually had one squamous cell and one of them was adenocarcinoma.

Even though this is very rare it and recurrences do happen. The best thing to do is have an oncologist and have regular visits. I am a year and a half post op and go every 4 months.

I think cancerhead hits everyone. I too worry that one day it might occur again since I had 2 spots. My mom died of uterine cancer 4years ago, my brother in law (Age 53) died 8 weeks ago from colon cancer. But on the other hand my best friend from high school died at 32 in a car wreck.

I believe that they will do chemo if there is a reoccurence but I take one day at a time and keep a positive attitude that this will never happen.

Life after cancer does get better with each day. The furthur you get away from your surgery date the better it gets. I do things with friends and family and spend less time working overtime this past year. I thank God everyday that he has allowed me another day to live!

Wishing you many years of being cancer free!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register