Endometrial Cancer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Endometrial Cancer Endometrial Cancer

Unread 07-03-2004, 09:12 PM
Endometrial Cancer

While I was in the hospital with food poisening and anemia on June 10 I found out that I have Endometrial Cancer and that I needed surgery within the week. On June 16 I had a TAH/BSO with staging. I honestly had no time with being sick from the other illness to find out about this cancer. I am now at home and doing well as can be expected (I guess).

I went last Tuesday to my surgeons office to get my drainage tube and staples removed and then down to see the radiation oncologist dr. Found out that I need 25 radiation treatments. The thing is...they said they didn't find any cancer in my lymph nodes, but didn't say exactly why I need radiation. Never thought to ask until I read some posts on this site. They did tell me that my cancer was Grade 3 Stage 2B (whatever that really means).

Anyway...this post (thread) is hoping that I can find someone else in the same boat (or close to) that I am in so we can compare notes. This radiation treatment is the first thing that has really got me scared and realizing that I really DO have cancer.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Thank you all!
pam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-03-2004, 09:56 PM
Endometrial Cancer

Dear Pam,

Although I didn't have radiation for my endo cancer, there are many others who did, and no doubt you'll be hearing from them. There's lots of good experience to draw from here....and so much support.

You can also do a search within this site (use the search feature in the top menu) to find previous posts that deal with radiation for endo cancer.

All the best to you....keep us posted!

Blessings.
Marlene
Unread 07-03-2004, 10:19 PM
Endometrial Cancer

Pam,
Though it's good that you don't have 'Lymph Node involvement', because of other factors, including stage and grade, I think it is better to do something to prevent spreading/return of any cancer.
Though my cancer type is different, I also didn't have lymph node involvement, (stage 1-c, grade3 clear cell ovarian), but they started me on Chemotherepy immediately. I didn't know why, either, until later, but am glad they are being proactive.
Blessings.
-Sue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-04-2004, 06:09 AM
Endometrial Cancer

Pam: Wow, food poisoning to a diagnosis of endometrial cancer. What a shock that must have been!

As for the staging, it's great that it's not in the lymph nodes. The Stage 2 means it had invaded more than 50% through the uterine muscle wall. That calls for additional treatment, according to my Onc.

Luckily, my tumor was at an earlier stage at less than 50% of the way through the muscle. It called for no additional treatment, just exams every 3 months.

There are other women here who have had the radiation and can give you some idea on what lies ahead.

Linda
Unread 07-04-2004, 08:06 AM
Endometrial Cancer

Hi, Pam--

I had a radical hysterectomy and internal and external radiation for endometrial cancer in 1999. My tumor had not invaded any of the 30 lymph nodes removed. However, I had a number of risk factors for recurrence which warranted both types of radiation after surgery.

I had 25 external radiation treatments (5 days a week for 5 weeks). The treatments are quite doable, and I continued to work throughout treatment. I had a standing appointment early every morning and then went to work afterwards. The actual treatments last only about 5 minutes each. I spent more time getting undressed and dressed than in the treatment itself. At my consultation, I had a few very small tatoos (like a mark made with the tip of a pen) put on the area to be radiated, so that they knew they were treating the exact same area each day. I would lay on a table with a mold made especially to fit my body so that I was in the same position for each treatment.

About the third week I started experiencing some diarrhea, which was treated with Imodium, and some bladder discomfort. I also became pretty tired toward the end of radiation, so I went to bed early and took things easy. These symptoms cleared up within a month after completing treatment.

Just to clarify something; when an endometrial tumor is staged at 2B it means that the tumor has invaded the cervical stroma, and does not necessarily mean that the tumor invaded more than 50% of the thickness of the myometrium (underlying muscle wall of the uterus). It is possible that the tumor could be both deeply invasive and also have invaded the cervix, but both are not required for a tumor to be staged at 2B. If a tumor is deeply invasive (more than 50% into the myometrium) but hasn't invaded the cervix, it would be stage 1C. The only way that you will know the particular characteristics of your tumor is by reviewing your pathology report or asking your surgeon or radiation oncologist. He or she can also explain the benefits of radiation given the particular pathological findings of your case.

Good luck with finishing your treatment, and if you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.

Best regards,

MoeKay
Unread 07-04-2004, 01:26 PM
Endometrial Cancer

Dear Pam -

I don't get to this site very often, and although I have hardly begun to read the posts which have come up since my last visit I did see yours and wanted to reply right away.

I also was suprised by a diagnosis of endo. ca. last year at age 40. I had TAH followed by radiation treatment. I was real depressed that all the other ladies with same cancer on the site had had stage I. Mine was stage III grade III. No lymph node involvement, but it had spread to the ovaries, thus the high stage. This was a very scary time for me of course, but the important thing is HERE I AM DOING GREAT 17 MONTHS LATER.

Please contact me if you have any other stuff you wish to discuss. It is best to e-mail me, cause I don't get over here that often any more.

Best wishes.

esther
Unread 07-04-2004, 02:01 PM
Endometrial Cancer

Hi Pam

Sorry to hear about your endometrial cancer. Thank God that you had food poisoning to find it.

I had a TAH on 7-17-03 for endometrial cancer --stage 1B
I did not need any radiation.

I did search the web for some additional information----
Mayoclinic.com
oncologychannel.com
cancer.org
can all give you more info on staging and involvement.

I will keep you in my prayers as you continue your treatment.

Ro ro the sub
Unread 07-04-2004, 02:58 PM
Endometrial Cancer

For a detailed description of how endometrial cancer is staged, the American Cancer Society has a very good site. Here's a link to the page on staging, but I found reading all about endometrial ca on this site was very helpful: http://www.cancer.org/docroot/CRI/co...d.asp?rnav=cri

Radiation is very do-able. It took only a few minutes a day after the first day when they did the mapping.
Unread 07-07-2004, 10:43 AM
Endometrial Cancer

Pam - I finished 28 (3 internal) radiation treatments on May 28. The side effects you get depend on where the radiation takes place. So for endometrial cancer (Stage II, Grade IIb - no lymp node involvement) I had bowel and bladder side effects: diarrhea; frequent and somewhat uncomfortable urination, fatigue and some radiation burns in groin and rectal area. It sounds like a lot, but they will give you ointments for the burns (like a sunburn) and Imodium will become your new best friend. But, it is entirely doable. My best advice is to make friends with the radiation equipment. It looks so intimidating, especially when everyone else leaves the room. But they can hear and see you at all times, so don't be scared. My first few times I was afraid of the machine and felt it was like some sort of alien space ship peeking around at me from different angles. But about the third day I started thinking of it as a friend, (silently) saying good morning to it, thanking it for helping me, asking it to find any lurking cells but to be kind to the good cells. It was very important to me to be positive in all aspects of my cancer treatment, and has helped me so much. My surgery was 4 months ago and I feel wonderful. I seem to have recovered somewhat faster than some; everyone is on their own timetable due to individual circumstances. But when I went to rad/onc yesterday for 6-week check-up, I told him that I had my "spark" back and really felt like myself. So, please keep a positive attitude and things will go much easier and remember that about 2 or 3 weeks after radiation, most of the side effects will be just a faint memory! My thoughts and prayers are with you! Carol
Unread 07-07-2004, 07:56 PM
Endometrial Cancer

Hi
On May 21st I had surgery for Uterian Cancer the doctor origially said that he got it all and I would not need any treatment but now says I may need radiation. He said it is not in the lymph glands but could still be in the blood( cancer can spread either through the lymph glands or direcly to the blood stream) and that I was on the border so he could not till if it is in the blood. So to be safe he is reccommending radiation. I have to go back to him on the 13th and in the mean time he is going to talk to the radiologist and them talk to me more about this on the day of my appointment.
Linda-Rae

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register