Swelly Belly Two Years Post-Op!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Swelly Belly Two Years Post-Op!!! Swelly Belly Two Years Post-Op!!!

Unread 07-04-2004, 10:41 AM
Swelly Belly Two Years Post-Op!!!

As difficult as this may to believe, I have a bad case of swelly belly right now at two years post-op!!!

I just bought a used (6 months old) washer/dryer from a neighbor in another building of our apartment complex and helped carry the durn things up three flights of stairs! (Why, oh why didn't I get a ground floor apartment!) THat was 30 minutes ago, and my tummy is swollen up like a beach ball, and I'm aching inside!

Has anyone else ever gotten swelly belly this long after your surgery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-04-2004, 11:36 AM

((((((Shashi))))))

I am sorry to hear about your pain and swelly belly. If I were you, I would call my doc ASAP. You see...For me I get swelly belly all of the time (ever since the hyst). It can happen following a lot of activity, or like you - heavy lifting (which I've been since told not to do anymore due to a minor prolapse). It can also happen for no one reason at all. I can be wearing a pair of shorts / pants / skirt - something with a non-stretchy waist band, and the item will fit just fine, even a little roomy...Then for some reason an hour or more later, the piece of clothing is soooo tight that I must change.

Because this is new to you, and since you are aching inside I think it warrants a call to the doc. If it gets worse, or does not go away before you are able to see the dr. you may want to think about going to the ER.

I'm sure other sisters will be around shortly to share their experiences with you my dear...But please do let us know how you are feeling and what you decide...

S
Unread 07-04-2004, 12:42 PM

Lisa,
I, like Judy, have had continuing swelly belly problems. Mine is due to nerve damage and some GI problems. It does get worse after periods of activity, which includes eating. ( Not funny, but sometimes you just have to laugh)

If this is new to you, you should give the a call and let him/her decide whether it warrants further action. Until you can get ahold of your doctor, do rest. I have found a heating pad, warm bath and a dip in the pool to help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-05-2004, 01:09 AM

Thanks Ladies!

I'm feeling a bit better, though the is still poofy and my insides still ache. I can't believe I was so stupid, but honestly, I really had no choice. I had to get that washer and dryer home.

If I'm still in the same shape tomorrow, I'll give my doctor a call. I'm just worried now because I promised my mom a trip to Red Lobster and grocery shopping tomorrow (well, since it's 3:08 a.m. that would be today), and a trip out with my mom involves my having to support her 200+ pounds of weight as she gets in and out of the car and walks into the buildings. I just don't think I can do it. (With her dementia, it's impossible to reason with her and tell her that I can't do it. She just doesn't understand! I know she'll pitch a big fit if I try to postpone. I don't know what to do! *sigh*)

Thanks again and s,

Lisa
Unread 07-05-2004, 06:20 AM

I just finished reading a post by MelBar who blamed her tummy swelling on "swelly belly". It turns out it's a hernia.

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...hreadid=151713

The initial swelling after a hyst may be swelly belly, but swelling that doesn't go away or swelling long after surgery should be cause to call the doctor. It may be nothing, but as you can see from MelBar's post, it could be serious.

Hope it's nothing serious.
Unread 07-09-2004, 08:32 AM

Thank God for this site. Doctors never seem to tell you what to expect. It's been 11 months since I had my lvah, and well my belly swell/bloat never went down. I thought it was from the weight gain from menopause or something. So I started working out 5 months after surg, and well the rest of my body looks great.
But my tummy looks 5 month preg & I too have pain, and feel like my stomach is going to explode. The feeling totally *****. So now I know that I do have to see the doc. I just haven't beccause I didn't want to seem like a hypocondriac, I felt that they would just say sorry, thats a part of menopause, you just have to deal.

Thank you guys for sharing your stories, it helps us know we're not crazy and most important we're not alone.
Unread 07-12-2004, 02:11 PM

I'm 4 years post op and there are days that I am more swelly belly than others. I work out and eat better than I did pre surgery. My poor DH is making shorts for me and thank god they have elastic waists because he has to adjust them every now and then!! I have been checked out and I am fine, no pain. But, every now and then, I get poochy!! Some days thinner than others!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register