Whats the first thing.......... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Whats the first thing.......... Whats the first thing..........

Unread 07-04-2004, 01:41 PM
Whats the first thing..........

OK following the Australian thread .......................

Whats the first thing you think of when Britain comes to mind.......not women from Derbyshire talking about dogs and moaning about the weather I hope hehehe!!!..............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-04-2004, 01:53 PM

Because I'm a bit of a nut and love British comedy - the first things that come to my mind are Monty Python's Flying Circus and Benny Hill. Then I think of the series Doctor Who and Are You Being Served?

the movies Full Monty and Calendar Girls (which I absolutely LOVED!)

After that I think of an anecdote that happened here in Santa Fe just a few months ago. We (my Canadian DH and I) were standing in line at McDonald's. The very proper soft spoken lady ahead of us was having a terrible time placing her order with the Hispanic girl behind the counter. She was trying to order water with her meal. However, she said it in that soft, British way that I can only spell as "Wah-tah". Well, the girl just had no idea. My DH leaned forward and said to the woman "You want bottled water"

The girl knew immediately what she wanted and turned to fulfill her order. The lady thanked us profusely, and practiced saying her new phrase.

We giggled and told her we've often found that we are from two countries seperated by a common language many times.
Unread 07-04-2004, 03:31 PM

Hi,
My Dad came from England, and all my grandparents, so again, I love the British accent. I have been fortunate enough to visit England a few times to see my grandparents, and aunties, uncles and cousins.
I love the beautiful English countryside, and the hedgerows. The cars there seem so small compared to the ones here in North America, and the country roads so narrow. I loved the double decker buses; so much fun to ride on. Also, the English pubs and the real fish and chips! And of course, all the historic old castles, Tower of London, Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle and Stonehenge. Can't forget Mr. Bean, and Monty Python as well.

Aurora
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-04-2004, 03:36 PM

Oh gosh, Aurora - thanks for reminding me!

How could I forget my first car??? An Austin America - the color was "Pale Primrose". I used to sit and giggle over the owner's manual and all the "different" words for the car parts like "bonnet" instead of "hood".

I completely believe that my Dad's entire reason for choosing that car for me at the ripe age of 16 was because it had practically no back seat! Problem was, it was also a very small/light car and could be picked up by 4 football players and put in places that it could not be driven.. like on the wrong side of chain link fence and up in stadium bleechers..

Thanks for jogging my memories!
Unread 07-04-2004, 03:43 PM

I love the mini, it just feels so small here compared to the SUV's, mini vans, and even Hummers I've seen families driving around town (why do people need a Hummer in suburbia?). Think I would feel pretty vulnerable driving one on the highway!
Unread 07-04-2004, 03:45 PM

mrs brains faggots***,,,lol...bucketshops, bangors and beans,,ick...boots,,my fave place. and the old thomas cook, and alas ruebens hotel,,,next to victoria station.

i love the u.k.,,,,i feel like its my second home. kinda has great and sad reminders for me,,,but it is a wonderful place for me. my comfort zone is there.

o yes that fleet from portsmouth where my former friends met their hubbys...lol

and lest not forget the 60s,,,twiggy, slicker,benson and hedges, and schwepps.....

am i showing my age?lol

***Admin. Note: Mr Brains are probably the longest established Faggot maker in the UK. Pork Faggots are a meatball, which is made up basically from Pork liver and onion. Mr Brain’s faggots add a few more things such as rusks, wheat flour etc, and soak them in a rich west country sauce, before freezing them for your convenience.***
Unread 07-04-2004, 04:55 PM

I think of London, Big Ben, the Buckingham Palace guards.

I haven't been lucky enough to visit yet but hope to some day.

Unread 07-04-2004, 07:25 PM

Ah, England! hedgerows, hills dotted with sheep, real brewed tea with milk, cottage gardens, the Victoria & Albert, Marks & Spencer, Boots, flapjack, McVitie's biscuits, the BBC, Absolutely Fabulous....

Anyone familiar with Bill Bryson's book _Notes for a Small Island_? It's a very funny, affectionate portrait of England, "the unparalleled floating nation that has produced zebra crossings, Shakespeare, Twiggie Winkie's Farm, and places with names like Farleigh Wallop and Titsey."
Unread 07-05-2004, 12:47 AM

These days -- Harry Potter!

Other than that? BBC (radio, not telly), great breakfasts, cream on my dessert!
Unread 07-05-2004, 08:04 AM

Having just watched a bunch of Food Network this weekend,...

Nigella Bites and Oliver's Twist!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register