Cervical Cancer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cervical Cancer Cervical Cancer

Unread 07-06-2004, 03:15 AM
Cervical Cancer

I'm not sure I'm asking in the right place here but if anyone can help or point me in the right direction I would be so grateful.

I had a cone biopsy to treat cell changes some years ago and was just lucky that it was caught in time. I had so many problems after with two-weekly periods and feeling so ill and also a prolapse of the cervix that I decided to go ahead and have a full hysterectomy 18 months ago. Everything was taken ovaries and cervix.
It was the best thing I have ever done and now feel so well.

Just recently I have met someone ver special and about to enter into a physical relationship for the first time since my op. However it is playing on my mind that abnormal cervical smears are always caused by the HPV virus. I was never told that I had this, although I have had warts on the hands in the past and still have a few now, but never noticed any anywhere else! I have only ever had two sexual partners in my life.

I don't know whether I should tell this guy it is a possibility that I have HPV or say nothing? Also if I have had the cervix removed could I transmit it now anyway, if I did have it?

Can anyone help me out here?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-06-2004, 07:50 AM
Cervical Cancer

(((Bobby)))

I'm so happy that you feel you made the right decision and that you are feeling so healthy now! What a wonderful thing! I hope you are remembering to keep up with your visits to the gyn for routine PAP's to watch for any recurrence (which is very rare, but it's a good idea to watch for it).

Now, in answer to your question. If you were to assume the responsible sex partner role, then yes, you would want to tell your new partner that you likely had a past infection with HPV.

You will want to follow this up with appropriate information. Keep in mind that there are many varieties of HPV. There are more than 50 variations of this virus and they respond differently in the body. The warts on your hands and feet are caused by one variety. Genital warts (condyloma) are caused by HPV-11. Cervical dysplasia is linked with several varieties, the most high-risk of which are HPV-16 and HPV-18 (these do not cause warts, however, only cellular changes).

Now, the interesting thing about HPV-16 and HPV-18 and a couple of other versions, is that it doesn't really appear to impact males. They don't get dysplasia from it. They don't get any skin changes from it. But they do harbor the virus and can pass it along to the next female that they come in contact with. So, it really isn't a health threat to your partner, but it could be a health threat to any future partners of his, should your relationship not become permanent.

At the same time, this is also an opportunity to ask about his sexual past. Remember, he could be carrying a different version of this virus that your body has not been exposed to (and he may not know that he has it). If it's a high-risk strain that your body doesn't have an immune response for, then you would risk developing a recurrence on your vaginal wall. Or he could have other viruses he is carrying without realizing (some people's immune systems can just keep everything under control).

Condoms may help to a very limited extent. Unfortunately, they do not cover all of the possible areas that the virus could be hiding.

So sorry to sound doom and gloom for you--it certainly wasn't my intention. But in this day and age, we need to make sure that we go into situations with our eyes wide open to the possibilities that exist. I wish you happiness and success in this new relationship. He must be a very special person.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register