Climara Patch??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Climara Patch??? Climara Patch???

Unread 07-06-2004, 03:17 PM
Climara Patch???

I had my pre op today, and was told that my doctor had ordered the Climara patch to be placed imidiately after surgery in the OR. (if both ovaries are removed) When I talked to the doctor last, she had told me that she was possibly going to take both ovaries, depending on what they looked like when she got in. I have not had the chance to do my homework on HRT and am wondering if any of you have tried this and how it worked for you. Also from what I have read today about it, it is an Estrogen base. Is it neccesary to have an opposing progesterone? (does it help to have them both, or does just the one work?) I am 27 and very concerned about being thrown into menopause. I would greatly appreciate any information that anyone can give me! Thank you!

Hope
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-06-2004, 04:10 PM
Climara Patch???

Dear Hope,

My dr had told me pre-op that if he had to take out both of my ovaries (which he did) that I would be in instant menopause, but didn't go over any hrt with me at the time. After my surgery (I can't remember if it was the same day or the next) I knew right away I was in trouble. I felt like climbing the walls. Everything was irritating me and I was really depressed. It felt like major PMS. I told the nurses I needed something and they came and gave me a shot, (so the doctor must have anticipated it and pre-approved it). That helped me get by for about a month and then when I went for my one month check up my dr. prescribed the Climara patch. It worked pretty well for me. I have only just recently (one year later) switched to the Vivelle Dot because of some problems with the Climara sticking for the full 7 days (wasn't having problems before that). Good luck with your upcoming surgery and your decision whether to try the patch or not.

Karen B.
Unread 07-06-2004, 05:28 PM
Climara Patch???

Hope,
I knew before my surgery that my remaining half of an ovary was going, but I never thought to ask about hrt. I did get lucky in that the doctor placed a Climara patch on me immediately after surgery. What I mean by lucky, is that knowing what I know now and how sensitive my system has become, I don't think I would've fared very well on the synthetic hormones. Although I eventually changed my hrt, I think the Climara was a good place to start, especially during those early days of recovery. I didn't have to worry about taking a pill and it was easy to remember to change my patch every Sunday.

I did have problems after awhile with the patch sticking, but that was me. You could ask your doctor to provide you with some samples in case you do have problems.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-06-2004, 06:03 PM
Climara Patch???

I came out of surgery with a Climara patch on. So far I have no complaints about it. No hormonal symptoms. Whew! - I am thankful for that.
I haven't really had a problem with it sticking. Before applying the patch I clean the area with alcohol to remove any body oils and then let it air dry. So far, so good.
Best of luck to you! Trina
Unread 07-06-2004, 06:05 PM
Climara Patch???

I am on Climara patch 0.375. I was on the .1 mg out of surgery, but wanted to try natural products, so went off of it a few months after surgery. I felt pretty good off of it, but am now back on because I was worried about bone loss, etc. The patch has stuck really well for me. I have not had a problem in that regard. I am just trying to figure out why I have more acne now because of the estrogen or what? I really don't know, but if it were not for that, I would stay on this. Best of luck to you.
Unread 07-06-2004, 06:47 PM
Climara Patch???

I was put on Climara .1 the day after surgery. I'm doing very well on it. I have no menopausal symptoms, though my ovaries were removed. I put my patch on after I dry off from my shower and I've had no problems with them peeling off.
Unread 07-08-2004, 06:20 AM
Climara Patch???

I came out of surgery with a Climara patch on too. I have been wearing the patch for 4 weeks. My skin has itched where the patch was and had a light burning feeling and when the week was up to put a new patch on my skin would be very pink and itch. I was still getting hot flashes & night sweats, and headaches.

I went to the doctor yesterday and she thought I was allergic to the glue. I did break out from the dressing they put on me in the hospital too. I guess glue is not my thing! So now they put me on the Estrasorb Cream and Estrace Cream.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register