Am I nuts? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 07-06-2004, 08:54 PM
Am I nuts?

Three days prior to surgery DH, DD (#5) and I are scheduled to visit 2 colleges (1 is the day before). One is in MN and the other is in Des Moines. Am I insane to do this so close to surgery? We need to do this before school begins in mid Aug., because I don't want to pull her out. My point is, I feel I should be resting so close to the date, but am also trying to plan this while my Down's daughter is away at camp (this way I don't have to worry about care for her). I feel the theory is to enter surgery with a well rested body/mind, and I think after all this traveling/visiting/thinking my body is going to be exhausted, but the task has to be done. I keep telling myself I can rest in the hospital and after. Is this a good mind set or am I fooling myself? I'm tossing and turning over what and how I'm going to be feeling as I enter the "castle".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-06-2004, 09:24 PM
Am I nuts?

I think the college visits would help me to keep my mind off the upcoming surgery. I was extremely anxious about my surgery and did not rest at all. Now that I am 3 weeks post op I think the most difficult part for me was to get the surgery over with. I would have welcomed the fact that I had something to keep me busy prior to the surgery.

I think if you are feeling up to the college visits I say go. Get everything packed and ready for the castle and then enjoy the time with DH and DD. I still can't drive and am about to go stir crazy. You will have plenty of time for R&R after surgery. Go have some fun!!
Valerie
Unread 07-06-2004, 09:47 PM
Am I nuts?

I haven't had surgery yet, but I say that you should go. It needs to be done this summer, and who knows what you'll be battling after surgery. You will have plenty of time to rest, and this will be a distraction - also a great memory.

DH told me tonight that my life has been centered around my hyst since I scheduled it, so I really have to work on changing that. Don't have your family feel the same.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-07-2004, 11:50 AM
Am I nuts?

I will not be getting any rest before surgery either. My dd has cheer camp on the saturday before my thursday surgery. Then Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday night I will be teaching VBS. I will leave my house at 6:45 for work and get home about 9:00 that night. I will be going like crazy. And trying to clean house in between all the running around. I have wondered if I was crazy for trying to "do it all". I made a commitment to my church that I will fulfill and to my dd to get her to cheer camp and practice that week. It will be stressful and tiring but I plan on getting lots of rest after my surgery.

Keep all of us running and getting those last minute "items" done in your prayers.

We try to be wonder woman. I am looking forward to the rest and being waited on for a while.
Unread 07-07-2004, 12:01 PM
Am I nuts?

Girls

I for one was not able to go anywhere or do anything other than the toilet for two days before my castle date due to the bowel prep the doc ordered for me. My advice is to check with your individual doc's to see what if any prep they will order and if they feel you should be traveling so close to your scheduled date with the King.

s

Donna
Unread 07-07-2004, 02:56 PM
Am I nuts?

If your pre-op instructions allow you to make the trip, then I would do so. I found I was grateful for something to think about other than surgery in the days prior to my TAH. For me, it was better to stay busy, preparing my home, family and friends for the post-op experience. And, you won't be able to get out and about for a little while after surgery, so you might appreciate a change of scenery. Good luck!
Unread 07-07-2004, 04:29 PM
Am I nuts?

I have decided that keeping busy is the best solution. Granted I'll be tired going into this procedure, but what the heck they'll administer something to make me relax and then to put me to sleep. This will probably be the best unconscious rest I'll have in a long time!

No bowel prep for me, yippee! Doc doesn't ask his patients unless they are extremely irregular. Cervix is going because of the complications that could follow (cancer, etc.) so I'm saying what the heck, again. He knows better than I. Is familiar with my insides and records and I trust him. Which is all any woman can ask for.

So as exhausted as I'll be at least I'm going in this with a positive outlook.

Thanks ladies for your input.
Unread 07-07-2004, 06:52 PM
Am I nuts?

I agree with the fact that it might keep your mind off of the surgery. But during the trip I would rest as mucha s possible. Let the DH do all the real work during the trip and you just be there for moral support.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register