Got Info. and Story to 3 Papers--Waiting to Hear | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Got Info. and Story to 3 Papers--Waiting to Hear Got Info. and Story to 3 Papers--Waiting to Hear

Unread 07-07-2004, 11:50 AM
Got Info. and Story to 3 Papers--Waiting to Hear

Yesterday I took packets of information to our two daily and largest weekly newspapers, I put a cover letter in and a two-page summary of my story--not that I want attention, but I've heard they want a story to go with facts. I got the NIH or NCI booklets on Uterine Cancer and Cervical Cancer, more information from the National Cervical Cancer Coalition, American Camcer Society details on ovarian, vaginal, and vulvar cancer, and Intellihealth (Harvard I think) information on Fallopian tube cancer. Sent along the 2003 State of the State of Cancer from the gynecologic oncs. This is such a politically correct city that I'm hoping something happens this year for September. Thought I'd start now in case there was a reporter willing to do some work on this. Now, maybe some of you who aren't in the middle of having cancer cells kicked out of you can try similar in your areas. September seems to go by so quietly for us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-07-2004, 01:10 PM

Ellen:

Thanks for working so hard on our behalf. I wish that I could join you in the push, but I'm kicking cancer's butt right now! I'm more than willing to try by email, though!

Together we can make a difference!!
Unread 07-07-2004, 03:02 PM

Go Ellen.
And you know I am hard at work also!
And still hoping to meet you in September.
oxox karenann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-08-2004, 05:37 AM

Hi Ellen...I have sent my story to the local TV news shows and the paper 2 months ago. I have gotten no response from any of them. I will keep plodding along because I know someone will listen. Be well.

Bertha
Unread 07-08-2004, 08:11 AM
Don't Give Up

Bertha, don't give up. I will hit the TV stations again soon and won't let the papers off the hook with one approach. We have to keep pushing.
Unread 07-08-2004, 01:22 PM
Wrote to Governor

During my lunch break today, I emailed the governor asking him to issue a proclamation declaring September "Gynecologic Cancer Education and Awareness Month." I gave him some background information on the incidence and mortality statistics, and stressed the lack of media attention to gyn cancers. I also reminded him that New Jersey has one of the highest cancer rates in the nation.

I know that cancer is a very high priority for this governor and his administration. Just for good measure, I sent him the link to the recent front-page newspaper article on endometrial cancer and me. I didn't think it could hurt to add a little personal touch to the request!

Take care,

MoeKay
Unread 07-08-2004, 02:09 PM

I'll never give up . I have a story to tell and will tell it til someone listens. MoeKay thats a great idea. All be well.

Bertha
Unread 07-08-2004, 11:34 PM

Ellen, you go, girl! Keep it up!

Kaiser Permanente has "Ovarian Cancer Awareness" month. I think it was in February, and they posted signs and placards all over all their facilities.

BTW, on Oprah today (which I NEVER watch) they did interviews with people who had been messed up by doctors who just did the wrong thing. One girl went through chemo AND then had to have a hysterectomy . . . only to find that she never had cancer. Some sort of test showed an elevated level of a protein in her blood, but it wasn't cancer. Just some weirdness. I unfortunately got a phone call and missed most of the show. Perhaps some other people saw it. It was interesting.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register