After-Cancer Diet | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

After-Cancer Diet After-Cancer Diet

Unread 07-07-2004, 03:19 PM
After-Cancer Diet

Hello sisters--
Well, I'm going on 4 months post-op - that means 4 months of a cancer-free me!! I've been getting interested lately in all these cancer cookbooks out there. Most of them are for working through the chemo & radiation (which thankfully I didn't have to do- just had the surgery). I'm looking for a cookbook for AFTER cancer - things to eat for prevention of recurrence, which vitamins I may need more of, etc. I'm not interested in a diet- I actually lost weight after the surgery and am at a healthy weight now. I just want to know which fruits, veggies, may be best for me in the years to come. Has anyone found a book like this? Like I said, the only ones I can find are for how to eat during cancer treatment- I want to know how to eat after being cured.

Also- if anyone knows of any books on eating after a hysterectomy - are there any more vitamins, etc I should be eating? I did keep my ovaries and am not on any HRT.
Thanks!!!
Chantale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-07-2004, 03:45 PM
After-Cancer Diet

Hi Chantale,

You have come to the right place. A girl named SirenSong will have all the information you will need. I am sure that she will be along shortly.

As for me, I take a multi vitamin, calcium when I remember, I watch what I eat but do not get crazy, and try to exercise everyday.

Yes, my lifestyle has changed somewhat, after cancer, but I am not going to stress myself out over every little thing.

Rosalie
Unread 07-07-2004, 04:06 PM
After-Cancer Diet

Chantale,
I have the exact same cancer that you ar cured of, and am having my TAH on Monday. My friend is a nutritionist earnign her PhD now, and she recommended that I get on a high-antioxidant diet and supplements. I take a multi, plus a special anti-oxidant formula from GNC called Ultra Cell protector (always check with your doctor). Dr. Andrew Weil also has written a lot on the topic, and if you google for him I think you'll get his web site pretty easily. Some good fruits are cherries and blueberries, both of which can be bought frozen when not in season. Veggies such as Japanese Shatake mushrooms (and other types), broccoli, and and leafy greens are good. Best of luck to you in your quest for a healthy lifetime. You're my inspiration now!!
Ro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-07-2004, 04:33 PM
After cancer

Some of the foods I hear most about -- dark and bright colored veggies and fruit. Omega-3 oil found in some fish. The single food -- broccoli, broccoli, broccoli.

In any case, fresh fruits and veggies are better than frozen, and frozen are better than canned. In a seminar on foods after cancer diagnosis and treatment, I heard that steaming veggies on stove top is better than microwaving. Microwaving does something to nutrients that is harmful. Has anyone else heard about that?

Mary D.
Unread 07-07-2004, 04:43 PM
After-Cancer Diet

Mary,
I have also heard that "nuking" is bad for your fruits and veggies (mainly becuase it removes most of the nutrients that you want the food for in the first place), and that steaming retains the most amount of nutrients. I think that it's in South Deach Diet (which I failed) and also Dr. Weil. You can also get more Omega 3's in your diet by buying eggs fortified with it. They taste the same, and if you don't eat much fish, the eggs can help.
Ro
Unread 07-07-2004, 05:38 PM
Eggs

Ro, thanks for the info on eggs. I didn't know that. As a child, I wouldn't eat 'em. Now -- I'd probably eat more than is good for me -- cholesterol. I did hear something recently about eggs being good for a cancer-preventative diet. Also might have heard that thinking these days is not so negative with regards to eggs and cholesterol. Hard boiled, scrambled -- love 'em.

Mary
Unread 07-07-2004, 06:03 PM
eggs

Yum! I love eggs, too. You are right, Mary, the bad reputation that eggs have received in the past is now looking a little overdone. Cholesterol levels seem to be controlled a lot by a person's genetics, though certainly moderation is the key for everything!

Beth
Unread 07-08-2004, 01:14 AM
After-Cancer Diet

Hi Ladies,

I bought the book, "What to Eat if YOu Have Cancer" by Maureen Keane and Daniella Chace after my TAH/BSO last year.

It gives you a good list of what to eat every day--which I could follow better. And, also some things to avoid--like peanuts (only one serving a week it says--they have some kind of carcinogenic mold that grows on them)

I try to eat my eggs with a soft yolk to get the benefit of the DHA in the yolk that helps to rebuild the brain. I did some research and found that you have a 1 in 20,000 chance of getting samonella by eating the yolk soft--I haven't had any problems.

ALso, walnuts are good for those omega threes, or codliver oil capsules or pumpkin seeds or ground flax seeds in addition to the cold water fish. I only eat the wild salmon now because of the pcbs and something else that is in the farmed salmon feed. They have warnings against pregnant women eating the farmed salmon. The wild is a bit more expensive--but I think it is a lot safer.

I am one year post op now and doing ok. I try to eat at least 9 servings of fruit and vegs per day!!

Take care, Alana
Unread 07-08-2004, 05:20 AM
after cancer diet

Hi,

I've been researching this topic myself. There is so much info out there, be careful that you chose something that is healthy and will do no harm to your body. I always read, take it with a grain of salt, then ask the doctor or nutritionist.

I found this really interesting website yesterday. http://www.cancerrd.com/

I haven't read everything,but it sounded pretty informative to me and I hope to follow at least some of the suggestions given. ( I also am not a great 'follower")

I've also heard that juicing fruits and vegatables is AWESOME for your overall health, and especially for cancers. I'm looking into buying a juicer, myself.

Good luck...we WILL fight...AND BEAT..the Beast.
Unread 07-08-2004, 06:34 AM
Hiya

There are two threads started by Trish titled 'diet after cancer' (i think!). Its on page 2. Sorry dont know how to do links!
I found it very informative and interesting.

sheila

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register