Mirena Coil | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 07-08-2004, 03:09 PM
Mirena Coil

It's me again,

Although now booked for TAH for fibroids and endo, was wondering if anyone else out there had previously had the mirena coil (hormone one) and your thoughts on it , I believe now it caused me more problems than it was worth, mainly with weight gain and unexplained aches and pains , headaches, and spots, gyne said it probably does not agree with me ( I had it for 6 years and it was renewed this Jan) this is how other problems were found because I had to have a scan to find the IUD.

bit nervous of op, but possibly best thing !I hope
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-08-2004, 07:36 PM
Mirena Coil

Hi Tiniegil,

How long you got for my thoughts on the mirena coil? It didn't suit me from the off! Sorry but I can feel a vent coming on!!!

The gp in question went through various things to try to find out what was causing my problems, bloods, ultra sounds etc but all results were non-conclusive. I had a certain pill (forgot it's name) which was supposed to help with the pain and slow the gluck I was losing each month. It did for a short spell but that was it. Gp told me about the mirena and I explained that I was very reluctant for it as I always react unfavourably to hormonal interventions (even the drip in labour) and my body goes into over-drive to work the way it wants. She was adamant it worked, that she'd only ever had to remove 1 in the 100+ she'd fitted. After repeatedly going back she put it to me that if I didn't try it then I'd have to put up with flo as the castle wouldn't accept I'd tried everything. Eventually 6 months later, I submitted but on the grounds that if I wasn't happy with it after 3 months trial, she'd take it out. Cutting a long story short, I spotted and leaked for the entire 3 months even though taking additional hormones on top. She refused to remove it each time I went back which was often I can tell you! I had that thing for about 18 months in total and my star of a gp recommended to me saw the desparate state I was in. He removed it without question and 6 months later I was a princess!

In the first 12 months of having the mirena, my weight soared, I got acne, bad headaches, brain-fog, increased pmt, raging mood swings, (I was known as rottweiler at work!) the aches and pains and had about 3 weeks in the whole time that I didn't leak. I was exhausted much of the time amongst all else. Repeated trips to her resulted in her giving me yet more of the additional hormones even though she AGREED with me that my body was fighting the hormones and it didn't seem to be working. After 12 months, I pleaded with her to remove it - she insisted to leave it for another 2 months with yet another promise of taking it out if I still wasn't happy. She added that things would be worse than ever if she took it out and that I had to decide which of the 2 scenario's I was more able to put up with. I saw a different dr when I went back again. He started saying he'd remove it and refer me to the castle, but suddenly changed his mind and referred me to a dietician!!!!

I left it for a while as I couldn't take any more refusals but I just got worse and worse. My memory was appaling for 3 weeks every month, work and relationships of every kind suffered attrociously. I was an utter mess by the time a nursing friend recommended my star gp. After reading my notes, I saw the look of being taken aback ........ and in his referral letter he stated that hormone treatment clearly didn't suit me. At my initial appointment at the castle, the gyn said they had no hesitation in doing the hyst and was surprised I'd not been referred before given my gyn history prior to the coil - it was all there!

I know it must work for some and don't have a real personal vendetta on it, but this is the first time I've really vented about the handling of it all by the gp. It sounds silly and I wonder myself just WHY didn't I change gp before - and then I remember --- I was in no fit state to remember my name let alone the day of the week or make decisions!! (that is true - I couldn't remember my name when fetching my car from a garage - how embarrassing is that!!)

Fair to say, the mirena didn't suit me and caused me many similar problems. I think the gp was more interested in how much treatment would cost really as she kept emphasising it!

I'm so sorry to go on so long. My hormones are much happier now - Honest!!! I still have some of the weight to lose but in myself, I just can't express how glad I am to have my hyst done. I am now just me!
Unread 07-09-2004, 11:58 AM
Mirena Coil

Hi,

Thank you so much for the reply it does make you think though, how many more of us it effects, I was normally a size 12 and although not a very healthy eater I am convinced that my now size 18 is mainly due to the 'thing'. I did diet in 2000 and lost three and half stone but lived of nothing more than ryvitas x4 and apple and a bananna plus a light tea of beans on toast, then it just went up again and even more so with the new 'thing' since January reckon at least a dress size. How are you doing now do you still take hormones ?
I have not yet worked out all the hyster abbrevaitions but will have another look at that. I am pleased you feel more your old self , I probably will to I hope!
Luv and best wishes to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-09-2004, 06:19 PM
Mirena Coil

Hi again tiniegil,

I'm not very computer literate or I'd put in a link to the abbreviations. If you click on the arrow where it says "more hyster sisters" to get the drop down menu, scroll down and you'll see a link there to them. Hope this helps - or someone comes along with more legible instructions!

I haven't seen many threads or posts here which mention the mirena coil so have wondered myself if this is something used more in the UK, though I have found articles across the internet. Has anyone else around the world had one fitted?

I know I was venting hard last night and apologise for sounding so aggressive - I'd had a really stressful episode so please accept my apologies. I've felt guilty for that!

I kept my ovaries and they seem to be happy enough at the moment. I'd be really really dubious of taking hrt and aim to improve my diet and search the hormone jungle section for any non-hormone methods aswell as discuss with my gp.

I hope everything goes well for you. It's natural to be nervous before this op. I doubt you'll find anyone here who's had it done that wasn't! Take your time to read posts and ask as many questions you wish, no matter how silly you think they maybe. This is a truly amazing site for the love and support given by all. I found it after my hyst and I don't know how I'd have got through without it and it's also as nice to give and share with other sisters here.

love and
Unread 07-09-2004, 07:05 PM
Mirena Coil

i have a friend who is facing the possibility of hysterectomy.

i checked out the hysterectomy alternatives and answers link under the support posts area of the hystersisters site.

someone responded to a questions about ablation post with some mirena coil info and links.

she seems to really like the coil. her response is in that hystersister post.

the links she included i will copy for you below. i have not looked at these so am not sure how they are.

anyway,

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/pms.htm
http://www.womens-health.co.uk/mirena.htm
http://www.2womenshealth.co.uk/25-0...=117957&title=P

hope these are helpful.

peace and wellness,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register