Weirdest thing(s) you ever ate. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Weirdest thing(s) you ever ate. Weirdest thing(s) you ever ate.

Unread 07-09-2004, 08:36 PM
Weirdest thing(s) you ever ate.

Okay here goes..... Hope you don't LOL

Chitterlings (pronounced chit- lins down here in the south) they are hog/pig guts. ewwww I know...but they are good...yum - Once a year at my Grandmas we would have a chitlin' supper. Everyone would bring some. We always wound up with over 100 pounds. We would cook them up outside (they smell) in a big iron pot. Like a witches cauldron. You cook them for hours. You can eat them boiled and fried. After they boil for several hours, you can drain some and give them a dusting of flour and fry them up in oil.

Other things I have eaten and like....deer, dove, quail, pickled quail eggs, pickled pigs feet, love oysters on the half-shell (raw)

I love deer. Which is venison. You can cook it a 1001 ways. It is a very lean meat. I know some people are against hunting. But down here in the south if they didn't hunt deer every year, they would over multiply and starve to death. And they have seasons. You can only hunt at certain times to keep from orphaning fawns.

Boiled crawfish, crayfish, mud bugs...what ever you wanna call them. We have a friend from Louisanna that lives here and every year they throw a big bash and cook about 500 pounds of the little critters. Boil 'em up with potatoes, onions, corn on the cob, and tons of spices. Mm Mm.....that's some of the best eatin' in the world!

I'm the type of person that would try most anything at least once.

I was born & raised in Alabama and lived some in the country. Most of my relatives on my Daddy's side are just good ol' country folk. So that makes me a country gal!

Many s to everyone! Trina - Bon Appetit!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-09-2004, 08:45 PM

I'm have to try everything at least once so when it's offered again and I say I don't like it, at least I'm not lying!
My dad used to hunt so I've eaten hare, rabbit (very sweet meat), pheasant, venison (very strong taste and it's best made in a stew) but I'd have to say most people would turn their noses up at Haggis. I like it. Good old Scottish dish - it's the "innards" of the sheep mixed with onions, oats, suet, spices and boiled in the sheep's stomach lining. Kinda tastes like a very bland minced beef. Oh and black pudding (blood pudding) and raw beef ham. That's breakfast for xmas morning - a great big fry up.
What exactly are crawfish? To me they look like baby lobsters - I don't like ANY seafood though tried it all but I do like shark - tastes like chicken.
Unread 07-09-2004, 08:52 PM

I was going to post about eating Haggis but I see someone already has! My brother made some for us a few years ago. It wasn't done in the traditional way, thank goodness! To me it tasted much like meatloaf. Along with it we had Rumbledethumps which is a Scottish potato/cabbage dish. Quite tasty!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-09-2004, 08:53 PM

I remember when I was a kid and mom made some rabbit. She tried to fool me and told me it was chicken. I wasn't buying it and wouldn't touch the stuff. My dad loved to eat all sorts of weird stuff; ox tails, bear, squirrel, rabbit. Ooohh....that bear meat really stunk up the house. P.U.

I'm not very adventurous when it comes to food. I do love fish and shrimp and beef and fowl. But as to crawfish, wild game and any other exotic animal...not for me.
Unread 07-09-2004, 09:04 PM

I forgot about squirrel and rabbit!
My Grandma would make a brunswick stew with rabbit. It was very good. I remember eating squirrel, but I don't know how they were cooked.

Actually crawfish are found in fresh water. A lot of people won't eat them because a lot of them are found in swamps. Sort of like a freshwater shrimp....in a way.

I would definitely try the haggis. And could you explain black pudding?

I would love to travel to different countries to try all the different foods. Cooked by local people. Not some professional chef in a 5 star hotel.
Unread 07-09-2004, 09:19 PM

Black pudding (blood pudding is more appropriate but the other name sounds better cos it is black) is....congealed pig's blood with onions, oats and suet. It's wrapped in a thick casing and cut into round patties - kinda looks like a thick round sausage and you fry it up.
:snort:
Unread 07-09-2004, 10:58 PM

My mother actually made me eat TONGUE....

real COW TONGUE.

it was so gross
Unread 07-10-2004, 12:26 AM

I was tricked into trying "tongue" and "mountain oysters" once....
Eeeewww!

I have also had escargot, here and in France.
(...hate the texture...)

When I took an entomology class, we had to try foreign dishes made with insects.
(Oh...nuff said...):eyes:

I am a confirmed "food must be identifiable" or junk food person!
Unread 07-10-2004, 05:33 AM

My dad was from the south so many "southern style dishes" were served. My dad was the cook in the family, he always said my mom could burn water. (I disagree, I think she is a very good cook).
Anyway, there was the deer meat, squirrel, rabbit, quail, pheasant, turtle stew, oyster stew, (I like the flavor but won't eat the oysters).
I would not eat ANY of the wild game meats. My dad cooked a cow tongue once and I remember "playing with it and mooing", lol.
One thing I absloutley loved was pork brains and scrambled eggs .... I ate them for years and one day I read "ingredients" on the can and it said "pork brains", I was like are these REALLY the brains of a pig?? My dad said yes, why? I thought all that time that is just what HE called them!! Needless to say, I never ate them again! lol
One of my favorite creations my dad made was hmmm, how to word this "stuff" on a shingle. It was tuna and peas in a white gravy poured over toast! Yummy! He said they ate it a lot in the Navy.
My dad passed away in February but luckily he taught me how to cook just about anything! The question is, do I want to? lol
Unread 07-10-2004, 10:22 AM

Poi when I lived in Hawaii, it was nasty and Kibee Naee which I love. My great grandmother made it the best.

I love almost all other Hawaiian food though.

Donna

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register