Shopping Alert! Things for the Castle | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Shopping Alert!  Things for the Castle Shopping Alert! Things for the Castle

Unread 07-10-2004, 05:28 PM
Shopping Alert! Things for the Castle

I was out shopping for the big day today and every department store I went to was having a sale on sleepwear. It seems to be universal. Now is the time to buy for the trip! I got a great deal on pj pants to lounge around in--the stretchy type. I avoided the woven cotton because I thought I might like the "give" of the stretchy cotton when swelly belly set in.
I also got a couple of nice nightgowns (not too long) for when I graduate out of the hospital gown. I also found a matching robe. Both are nice but not too fancy. Just enough to make me feel more human after the surgery. I'm going to return one, however. It didn't have enough slack in the tummy area. I don't want anything touching my incision.
I also discovered that large t-shirts in many colors are available in the men's department at Wal-Mart for less than the price in the women's department. I'm going to get some to go with my comfy pj pants.
My daughter and I found another neat item at the JC Penney Home Store. They had big pillows that looked like candy packages--Junior Mints, Nestle Crunch, Sugar Daddy, etc. If you are a chocoholic, these might make a cheery pillow to hug afterwards. They would also make a great gift for a friend who's having surgery.
As you can tell, I'm using this time as an excuse to treat myself. Why not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-10-2004, 05:59 PM

Hello there,

I am now 3 days post op and agree that you should be treating yourself! I bought a new night gown and some PJ's for afterward. My most comfortable choices right now are, a spagetti strap 100% cotton nightgown that hangs to about my knees, and PJ's that have draw strings, and I am very glad of that! I do not think that anything with elastic in the waist will do! I also picked up several pair of panties that are a couple of sizes bigger than I would normaly wear. I found some that look like boxer briefs, and love them. I have a good bit of and am greatful for the xtra room! The pillow is a good idea as well! One it will make the hospital feel more like home, but also makes a good brace for those breathing excercises, as well as a coughing brace! I brought chap stick from home, and glad that I took it as well. I wish you the best with your upcoming journey, and hope that all goes well with your recovery! I am sure that you will find the ladies here more than helpful, just as I have!

Hope
Unread 07-10-2004, 05:59 PM

I bought myself a beta fish this weekend at our local Fair. I figured I could put him next to my night stand and have company in my room when I come home. We have a two story house so I figured I would be chained upstairs at least for the first week. I named him Elvis! I also bought some big t-shirts for when I come home to lounge in and some lavendar lotion, the smell is so calming to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-10-2004, 10:00 PM

Hi Girls,

This site is great for us!! After reading your post I just started laughing. It's the first time I laughed all day! I told my DH, "this is why this site is so great you find out that your not alone!!"
We went shopping tonight also for the big day.
There was a good sale at Penney's on sleep wear!
And I bought a couple night gowns that looked comfy and roomy!
I also bought a pair of PJ's with a draw string to lounge around in!
I hope the panties are large enough I haven't bought panties like that since my last pregnancy (and that was 22 years ago!)
My DH wanted to know why I didn't know what size, I said, "Well at Victoria Secret the come in small med. & large!"
I also bought a couple of bed pillows to make things more comfy! I didn't see the cutesy pillows, miss out on those!

Terri, I almost brought a neat clock to look at for the same reasons but when I went to show it to my DH, it was already sold!

I Just think it is so funny how we all think so much alike in many ways!

Hugs, Mary
Unread 07-10-2004, 10:25 PM

I didn't have any "nightgowns", so did a search on eBay. Came up with a few cute cheap ones. Saw the Karen Neuberger brand listed as one of "Oprah's Favorite Things", so I went to Macy's to check it out. I thought ' how luxurious could this possibly be?' then put on the robe and was like "aaaaah'. I found a robe on clearance rack - got a $58 robe for $18! Also bought the cute slipper-socks for $15 (not on sale, but soooo soft, thought it would be worth it - those rooms are always cold), but still couldn't bring myself to spend $40 on a nightgown. So, bought a cheaper - but coordinating, of course - nightgown, and told my mother-in-law about my find. The next day when I saw her she had a pretty little package for me and told me it was my "pre-surgery gift". Low and behold, it was Karen Neuberger jammies! Am so spoiled! She did let me know that she found it at Nordstrom Rack so did not pay nearly $40 for it.

Now my surgery has been changed to a LSH, so I only have 1 night stay at the castle, so will probably wear thier gown the whole time. Bummer! LOL! I'll be making them change me to my nightgown in the recovery room!

Unread 07-11-2004, 05:04 AM
nightgowns

I'm now 4 days post surgery. Wore my cotton t-shirts and brought a long cotton dress that was very comfortable to wear walking the halls and I had a sweatshirt jacket that I wore in place of housecoat. Used my birkenstocks for slippers.
Had a very good ride home and today I feel even better. Belly is a little tender, the nurse removed the 14 staples from the vertical incision (very little discomfort) and applied eight surgical tapes across the cut.
Anxious to get the lab reports back on the rock hard tumor that was sent to them along with the frozen sections. Once they confirm I am cancer free it will be time to celebrate........
Take care.
Unread 07-11-2004, 05:59 AM

Hi crdur,

Well, Welcome home Princess!
Sounds like you are in good spirits and coming along nicely!
Which is very encouraging to me!

Take care & Get plenty rest!
Hugs
Unread 07-11-2004, 06:24 PM

crdr,
I hope your tests come out well. Sounds like you are recovering nicely so far. I hope I do, too. I seem to go back and forth from dread to excitement. While I don't look forward to the physical discomforts of surgery, I am glad to be getting rid of the physical discomforts of my condition. As long as I keep things positve and use this as an excuse to do things for myself, I am okay with it. Also, I am looking forward to sitting around and watching movies, sleeping, etc. I have had a couple of other medical conditions in the past that have stopped me in my tracks (kidney infection and severe pnuemonia). The kidney infection came when I was a newlywed and my husband and I were having to work long hours to pay the bills. The pneumonia came when I was juggling marriage, three kids and going to college full time. This comes just one year into a new career. I just tell people that this is God's way of telling me to slow down and "sit a spell". Things always have a way of coming together. Bless you, sister, and get well soon!
Unread 07-11-2004, 07:46 PM
Getting ready for the castle.

I have a co-worker who had a vag hyst 6/04.. She told me to pack light, do not bring makeup or books. She suggested a portable cd player for relaxation. I have packed some pjs,panties,pads,socks,slippers,&robe. Countdown has begun.
Unread 07-11-2004, 09:21 PM

I did not buy gowns but now wish I had them to wear at home.

I used the hopital gowns while I was there and wore a print duster that I bought for the trip. I tried to get the least old ladyish one that they had. You know, no big colorful prints.

The only thing that I brought and did not use was my mp3. Was not really in the mood for music.
Also I brought the wrong kind of slippers. These kind you have to put on with your hands so you know they were useless. I used the hospitals slipper socks along with the antiembolic stockings.

The pillows are a good idea. It would even have been nice to bring softer sheets. I skinned my knee on the rough hospital sheets. I also have tape burns all over my back from the epidural tape. I have little scratches over my legs from itching so bad from the epidural and scratching too hard while my legs were numb. So along with my abdominal scar I have a few war wounds. It sounds bad but I really feel like I had a very good hospital experience. I never had bad pain and did not get nauseated once so for me it was all good.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register