Another Migraine Thread | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Another Migraine Thread Another Migraine Thread

Unread 07-11-2004, 09:27 PM
Another Migraine Thread

It has been a long time since I visited so "hi all!"

Anyway, I am 8 months post op. I still have one ovary but am wondering if all is well with it. I have suffered from migraines for for 15 years and about 7 years ago it was determined that they were hormone related. I discussed this with my doctor before surgery and we decided that since one ovary was okay, it could stay.
Well anyway, I have had 5 migraines in the past 2 weeks. All responded to Imitrex but what is going on? I have taken Propranolol as preventative but was a walking zombie in that my blood pressure runs around 100/50.
I know that I keep running on and on but I am concerned and do not know where to start. Even though the Imitrex works, I still feel awful for a day or two after the feadache.
Any advice? I thank all y'all in advance. I know how wonderful all my responses were prior to and just post surgery,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-11-2004, 10:25 PM
Another Migraine Thread

Hi,
sorry your still having headaches, geez, it feels like a hangover if I remember what those feel like!! LOL, I too have suffered the migraines and the aftereffects, even though the medicine works I know what you mean, and i have only had a year of them, you must be so fed up. I really think it is worth checking in with the doc again, have the hormones tested, see what can be done, the pain the lost days of feeling lousy are worth a chat with your doc. i am not fimilar with the daily med you take, maybe that needs to be changed. I take verpramil (sp) daily and it really helps.

all I can say is sorry your dealing with this, please talk to your doc. I would see my neurlogist (sp) if it was me, do you have one?

also start a food diary maybe you have a new trigger and not hormone related? (avacado did it for me suddenly) Oh feel better I understand and sending you hugs,
M
Unread 07-11-2004, 10:31 PM
migraines

Hello Louisianaangel,
I had a total hysterectomy on June 14 - tomorrow it'll be a month and I have had 4 migraines in 2 weeks after hardly having any for a few months. I had both ovaries removed, uterus and cervix and I am on Premarin. I was told to call back the doctor tomorrow because I might have to have the dosage altered. I used to get the migraines when taking the pill but was assured it wasn't going to happen again. I'll let you know what the doctor says, but I know how you feel, the nagging behind the head pain even with the Imitrex. As if we don't have enough to deal with!!! Take care,
Karts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-11-2004, 11:05 PM
Another Migraine Thread

OMG! That is aweful! I get migraines too but mine are not hormone related.When my suger levels are up is just one of my triggers. Unfortunately nothing helps with my migraines. I just lay in the dark with my puke bucket and suffer through it.

I would recommend trying to change your diet as well as talk to the doctor. Try cutting down on your suger and flour products. As well as no hotdogs or bacon. My doctor also said there is a preservative in boxed food, i.e. mac & cheese, that causes migraines.

Good luck and many Hugs.
Unread 07-12-2004, 08:10 AM
migraines

Hello Nickelkitten,
Actually I don't eat a lot of sugar or sweet foods, but I know caffeine is a big trigger for me and (although my boyfriend thinks it is psychological) garlic (which I do love) but get one every time I eat it. I have suffered with migraines since I am 10 years old (long, long ago), my mother and sister had them too (they both died). So I guess it is hereditary. I am hoping the adjustment in the hormone levels will help, because as you know they are really awful - besides I go back to work on the 26th so they'll freak if I start getting migraines again after taking off 6 weeks for this recovery! They say all things must pass so I am hoping for an end! Take care and thanks for your reply, hugs to you too,
Karts
Unread 07-12-2004, 09:14 AM
Another Migraine Thread

I have suffered from migraines since puberty. It runs in my family. I have two primary causes: serotonin deficiency and hormones. I finally got them under control with medication in my thirties. When I had my TAH-LSO on June 25 I came out from anesthesia with the worst migraine I can remember. It was debilitating for Friday thru Sunday. It subsided enough to let me go home on Monday. I then had 9 migraines in the first two weeks. When I went for my post-op check up the doctor pronounced me in menopause (my right ovary is apparently not working - I was having hot flashes and night sweats too). I did not want to start HRT so my doctor recommend black cohosh and soy supplements. They have actually worked for me. Talk is over with your doctor and here is a big . Best wishes.
Unread 07-12-2004, 09:23 AM
Another Migraine Thread

I understand about migraines. I have suffered for the past 12 years. I am allergic to Imitrex. My doctor put me on Nortriptyline 25mg up to 5 capsules daily. I dont know if this will be helpful for preventive....Maybe talk to your doctor about changing to one of the other drugs. There are so many out there to prevent and supposely help with chronic pain. I am in my second week....so I am not sure it will help...but maybe.
Unread 07-12-2004, 09:23 AM
Another Migraine Thread

Thanks for your reply Tabbi,
Poor you to have to go through that after surgery! I know your pain... I think you have to have felt a migraine to understand it. When I talk to my doctor this afternoon I will ask him about the black cohosh. I told him I was taking soy before my surgery and he said I could bathe in it and it wouldn't help (he said it was a yiddish saying)! Anyway, at this stage I'll try anything! It's strange though because I don't know if you get the flashing lights but that seems to be occurring more often than the actual pain, the pain comes later.... Imitrex does help, but I thought all these symptoms would go away with the surgery and my doc said I would not get migraines with the hormones but guess what!!! I am feeling a lot better today and I am taking one day at a time - this site should be called Hysterolics Anonymous! Take care of yourself,
Karts
Unread 07-12-2004, 10:00 AM
Another Migraine Thread

I had my hyst 6 days ago, and had a mother of a migraine hit me yesterday. I used to have them very often, but usually not more than 2 or 3 every 3 months. I was bad however, because I allowed myself to run out of my meds. I was very fortunate that my PCP called in the medication after I called, explained the surgery and the migraine. He called in the medication pdq and it responded fairly well.

I just hope this is not some indication that my migraines are gonna be on the rise.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register