Does everyone go HRT ? I am SO confused. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Does everyone go HRT ? I am SO confused. Does everyone go HRT ? I am SO confused.

Unread 07-11-2004, 10:25 PM
Does everyone go HRT ? I am SO confused.

My surgery is in 2 weeks. TAH/removing ovaries also. I am almost 40. I called my DR. to check into getting Blood work prior to surgery for a bio-identical HRT that I was checking into. The nurse called me back and said that it is not necessary because the DR. does not think that I will need HRT. How would she know that and doesn't everyone at my age go on HRT immediately. I just read another article about how important it is to go on HRT at my age. 8 times more women are more likely to die if menopause is started between 40-50 and not taking HRT. What have the rest of you done that had TAH including removing ovaries in you 40's? ANY advice is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-11-2004, 10:46 PM

I am not that age but I am not going to take any HRT I am going to take a natural herb instead. My mother was that age and did not take HRT after her surgery and she is doing just fine 10 years later. You do not have to take HRT it is up to you it is your body. Not every one is able to take HRT for one reason or another but I would talk to your doctor about it.
Unread 07-11-2004, 11:23 PM
Hi Winesampler

I am 43 and just had a TAH/BSO on June 16 due to Endometrial Cancer. Anyway, I was put on an estrogen patch the morning after my surgery. It is "Estradiol" which is the generic name for "Climara". I'm not sure if everyone does this, but this is what my doctor put me on for now.

Take care and good luck,
pam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-11-2004, 11:30 PM

I am 46 and my dr put me on estradoil oral meds 1 mg in morning and 1mg at nite. I had severe hot flashes and nite sweats right after surgery. The meds seem to be helping me. I might ask for the patch The vivelle dot I have heard alot of good about that. It seems that sometimes the oral meds don't stay in system as long and my hot flashes come back. some have said patch is better for that type of control just depends on your body everybody is so different. I would definetly do some research. I am not absoultely sure how long i am staying on these meds . I need to do some research on my own also.

Bek
Unread 07-12-2004, 12:42 AM

I'm 51 and had ovaries removed. I woke up in recovery with estradol patch already in place and have been on estrogen for 3 months now. Prior to surgery I had Lupron injections that essentially shut down my ovaries and I experienced quite a few menopause symptoms. All of those symptoms were relieved as soon as I began using the patch and I'm very happy not to have to go thru them again.
Unread 07-12-2004, 01:40 AM

Hi..I'm 50 and I had everything out vaginally.I'm feeling great !! My doctor put me on 1.25 premarin in the morning and 100 mg promethium at night. I can't believe how great I feel and no more periods..haha I'm going on 3 months now
personally I would of been terrified to NOT take HRTs.Before my surgery I was so premenopause..crying and feeling so depressed.I even went to therapy and took anti-depressants..then my prolapse had to be dealt with and I found out why I'd been going down so bad the last few years..wow..sometimes ya just can't know...but now I have nothing left to get cancer inside and my uterus isn't hanging out..lol And..Best of all my moods are steady..NO PMS..and I recomend this to everyone..lol

God Bless..Hugz Becky
Unread 07-12-2004, 10:02 PM

Hi! I had TAH/BSO on June 2nd. Doc took everything. At this time I am not on any HRT. My doc said he wanted to see how my body reacted before starting anything.

Kel
Unread 07-12-2004, 10:43 PM

I am 50 and 5 weeks post op. I'm not having any menopausal symptoms, and my Dr. has not even mentioned HRT. I'm doing fine without it now, and I hope I can continue without it.
Unread 07-13-2004, 12:22 AM

I'm 48 and I went on HRT right after my surgery. I didn't want to experience the horrid hot flashes and night sweats that I was already beginning to have before surgery.

It is your body and the decision should be yours as to whether or not to go on HRT. Do some research. There is plenty of wonderful information on the Hormone Jungle message boards. Good luck to you!~Moonchime
Unread 07-13-2004, 06:27 AM

Granted I am only 25 but I will say that the hrt has made a huge difference in me. At just three weeks post op I feel better than I have since my very young teens. Since hrt I no longer take anti depressants either. It is definately a very personal choice. You may want to do some checking in the Hormone Jungle to answer some of your questions. Good luck to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register