Anyone ever have Lupron Kill Endo for good? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone ever have Lupron Kill Endo for good? Anyone ever have Lupron Kill Endo for good?

Unread 07-12-2004, 07:02 PM
Anyone ever have Lupron Kill Endo for good?

I have been taking lupron for 3 months... It has helped with the pain but not completely. GYN wants me to do 2/3 more lupron shots. Number of shots depend on how my body response. He said he feels it is worth trying since the lupron has helped he wants to see if 5/6 treatments can kill it all.

Just woundering what the statisics are for curing endo with 6 months of lupron and how many people still end up with surgery after the 6 months of lupron?

How many people who have had ovaries removed after lupron treatments have pain return? How have you dealt with the pain.

Any info one would like to share is greatly appreciated!

Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-12-2004, 08:41 PM
Well...

I'm interested in what other (((sisters))) have to say about this. I've never heard of Lupron completely killing endo (if it did I wouldn't have opted for the hyster after 2 unsuccessful laps were done).

Endo is a beast, isn't it?

I hope someone has more insight on this question.

Hugs,

Rita
Unread 07-13-2004, 03:03 PM

It did not work for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-13-2004, 04:50 PM

Thank you both for your responces... Those are my fears. Endo is so hard to get rid of from what I am learning. I have had a lap done in 6/02 for endo, my Lavh 8/03 and was suffering with endo pain again on 9/03. I just wanted to hear from others who have completed the 6 months of lupron treatment.
Unread 07-13-2004, 05:05 PM

I TOOK IT FOR 11 MONTHS-

THE FIRST THREE MONTHS AFTER TAKING IT WERE OK AS FAR AS NO PAIN- BUT THEN THE PAIN RETURNED SEVERLY- I ENDED UP GOING WITH A HYSTEREC
Unread 07-14-2004, 04:23 AM

I took Lupron for 6 months. It never took all the pain a way. And several months later the fierce pain returned. 2 years later I had a TAH/BSO, which my one year hysterversary is July 31. The only regret was taking that horrible drug and what it did to my body and the consequences from it. Unfortunately I am still having complications from the open incision problem. It just never ends.
But life goes on.
Unread 07-14-2004, 06:34 AM

I did the 6 month treatment a few years ago, after that I ended with a lap 6 months later to remove endo as the lupron only worked temporarily.

Then I did lupron for a year or so, with pain coming back everytime I was due for my next shot so I had the hyst 4 weeks ago.

There was endo to be found, adhesions found and so the lupron was not working, it did keep the endo from going crazy so there was less to deal with during surgery but it did not keep it away, but being on lupron during my surgery I guess will help keep the endo from coming back as it is suppose to help kill off any micro end they couldn't see during surgery on my bladder and stuff because I had the lupron still in my system for a month after surgery.

To me lupron is just a temporary hold to help you decide what you are going to do. It was not a cure for me, and I did not like the side effects but dealt with them to help me make sure a hyst was the right thing to do, I had to try everything out there before I was comfortable with a hyst, lupron is miserable I regret but yet I don't, if that makes any sense?

just my thoughts,
Unread 07-14-2004, 09:00 AM

I am 4 1/2 months into a 6 month course of Lupron for return of endo post TAH/LSO. It has helped with the pain and cyclic issues, but I've had unbearable swelling from it. I can't have any more shots because of this and am afraid of the pain coming back when this shot wears off. It's the lesser of 2 evils, I suppose. I am tentatively scheduled for a RSO in mid October and I know that even that gives me no guarantees that the beast will not return.
Unread 07-14-2004, 09:26 AM

I have been suffering from endo. for many years (I am only 27) and have had several laps. done, my last one being exactly one year ago in which the doctor discovered stage 4 endo. She lazered it all off and I started a 6 month round of Lupron which literally made me suicidal.
Needless to say, the pain came back with a vengance. I tried everything else recommended by my doctor to avoid surgery. We
decided that it would be in my best interest to have a complete
hysterectomy because of how quickly my symptoms returned after the lap. and Lupron. It took alot of soul searching on my part because even though I have two beautiful kids, I still want more. My husband and I decided that my quality of life, not to mention my family's because they suffer from this disease as much as I did, was more important than having anymore biological children. Adoption is definitely an option for us in the future. Both of our jobs even have amazing adoption assistance programs, as do most large companies!
I had my LAVH/BSO this past Thursday and I literally feel great! I
honestly don't even feel like I had surgery....the recovery process
has been amazing for me. When the doctor opened me up, she said that I was literally covered with endo....most definitely stage 4....she didn't think it could've been any worse. So it turned out that the surgery was my best choice because if I would've had another lap., or even more Lupron, it probably would've only given my a month or two at the most relief.
When your quality of life starts to deterioriate, that's when you need to start weighing your options. I personally wouldn't do Lupron again because of my past experiences, but everyone reacts differently. I wouldn't advise against it because some people do have much success with it. So listen to others opinions about certain drugs that they've tried, but don't let anyone scare you against trying something that you and your doctor decide might be in your best interest. EVERYONE REACTS DIFFERENTLY TO MEDICINE.
I hope you get to feeling better soon and if you need to talk about anything, feel free to email me.
Unread 07-14-2004, 11:32 AM

I have to second what (((Jamie))) said about not letting others experiences turn you against a treatment option. This course of Lupron, while I wouldn't/couldn't do it again has taught me that it is time for the ovary to come out and I will be okay (emotionally) w/o it. And despite the swelling it has helped.

Good luck to you in your decision.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register