Need advice about abnormal breast ultrasound | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Need advice about abnormal breast ultrasound Need advice about abnormal breast ultrasound

Unread 07-13-2004, 01:54 PM
Need advice about abnormal breast ultrasound

Hello everyone. I just got back from having a routine mammogram and ultrasound. After it was done the radiologist called me in his office and showed me what he called a suspicious mass and he said it was not a cyst but may be a fibroadenoma.
He did say that he wanted it biopsied right away. I saw it on the film and it was completely white and was not there several months ago. Looks about the size of a pea. He said there was a 10% chance it is cancer? I am sure he is just playing it safe which is fine with me.
My breast surgeon hasn't called me back yet but my question is .....is a needle biopsy just as 100% as a core biopsy? Should I just have it taken out?
Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-13-2004, 02:14 PM
Breast Biopsies

Beachcloud, My most recent biopsy was first indicated on the mammogram by a suspicious microcalcification cluster. After the lump was looked at by the radiologist on ultrasound, the radiologist was 99% sure it was a fibroadenoma. It still needed to be biopsied to confirm that. I had a core needle biopsy under ultrasound. The radiologist was correct -- it was a benign fibroadenoma.

At this point you could ask the radiologist how certain he/she is about the tumor. It's much more likely that it is only a fibroadenoma.

Good luck! Don't worry about the biopsy procedure. I've had four different procedures -- and I'm still here to talk about them.

Mary D.
Unread 07-13-2004, 07:12 PM
Need advice about abnormal breast ultrasound

Beachcloud,

I've had both--a needle biopsy done on one breast in the surgeon's office and a core biopsy done in the hospital operating room. These procedures were done on different breasts a year or so apart. Because the needle biopsy does not remove actual breast tissue like the core biopsy does (only fluid containing some cells), it's somewhat less accurate. I don't recall the exact percentage at this point as it's been several years now, but your surgeon should be able to advise you of the difference between the accuracy of the needle and core biopsies.

Remember that the odds are in your favor that your results will be benign!

Good luck,

MoeKay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-13-2004, 07:52 PM
Core biopsy

I've had three different core biopsy procedures -- stereotactic core biopsy, Mammatome biopsy, and core needle under ultrasound. None were done in the operating room -- nothing close to an operating room. All were done in the Radiology Dept. of the hospital. Two were done while seated and "clamped" in the mammography machine. The biopsy under ultrasound while I was lying on a table so US wand could be used to guide radiologist's insertion of core needle.

Mary D.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register