questions galore | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

questions galore questions galore

Unread 07-13-2004, 04:43 PM
questions galore

I have a few questions regarding my hysterectomy I am having on the 28th of July. Only 15 more days and although I am excited and scared I am completely clueless. Makes me wish I had asked the doctor alot more questions but he is out of state until a few days before my surgery. All I know is I am having a complete hysterectomy including ovaries. along with another surgery at the same time although unrelated to my hysterectomy.

I am wondering where they normally make incisions for hysterectomies. What is menopause like cause I am told I will hit it as soon as I am done and will need hormones. I have been reading and see things such TAH (hopefully i got that right) and have no idea what that means. How much pain is there? I hear some women say they were up and around in 2 days others say it knocked them for a loop. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Now that I am done rambling haha maybe you all could help ease my frazzled nerves. thanks again for having such a wonderful site for support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-13-2004, 05:00 PM
questions galore

Click here for the abbreviation list

You incision line will depend on the specifics of your surgery. For instance, mine is what they call "bikini line" very low on the belly, pretty much right where you think of with that phrase. Some have a vertical incision which is from around the belly button down to the pubic bone. My doc told me that he makes that incision when he is going after adhesions or significant endometriosis. I had neither of those. Some are fortunate enough to have a vaginal hysterectomy, in which case there's no cut in the belly at all. I couldn't have that one because my pelvic floor wasn't relaxed enough, my uterus was tipped back too much and the uterus/fibroids were too large to allow it. Other gals here have a laparoscopic surgery, in which the external belly incisions are kind of band-aid sized in different locations of your belly for the placement of the necessary instruments.

What is your other surgery? That could also influence your incision for the TAH.

Of course recovery is influenced by many things - the specific surgery, the extent of the problems repaired, the patient's age, and then just plain individual pain threshold and healing. Also, how downhill the person's health was prior to surgery makes a difference in their recovery, too. I was significantly anemic, barely missing the mark for a transfusion when my surgery was done - this slowed me down for a while until I had a chance to bounce back and build up the red blood cells in my body.

I can't relate any personal experience about hormone therapy issues, as I kept both of my ovaries and they seem to be functioning fine at this time.
Unread 07-13-2004, 05:09 PM
questions galore

Hello, and welcome to the site ......

the best advice I can give you at this point is to keep searching and reading here at hystersisters....The ladies here are very informative, comforting, and full of both pre-op as well as post-op advice...There are many different message boards here that cover just about anything you need help with....Check them out..

I can't really be much help to you at this point as my surgery date is only 2 days before yours...But again I have found this site to be great. Alot of times my questions are answered before I have to ask them as someone else shares the same questions and concerns....

This site is not to take the place of your DR"s reccomedations only to give an insite from ladies who have been there and share their experiences....Since your Dr will be out of town, maybe you can talk to his nurse, she should be able to help and answer some of your questions...

Glad you found us and know that all the ladies here are here to help and comfort......I will be keeping you in my thoughts as your surgery date approaches (maybe help me keep my mind off mine LOL) and include you in my prayers.

Patricia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-13-2004, 05:11 PM
questions galore

Hi,

Here are some articles for you to read concerning hormones and menopause:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/hsl...s=&forumid=174

Also if you go to the top of the page and click on Resources there is a lot of info there. You just do a word search and it will pull up what you are researching.

Best of luck

s
Unread 07-13-2004, 05:12 PM
questions galore

my other surgery is gall bladder removal. They said my gall bladder is compressing at to slow of a rate to continue to function properly.
Unread 07-13-2004, 06:38 PM
questions galore

Hi, You might try asking your doctor's nurse re the type of surgery he has planned for you including what type of incision you will have. A hysterectomy is major surgery regardless of the procedure used and you will be sore and have discomfort but pain meds are very good these days. Also please remember that if one med does not seem to be giving good relief ask for another. The normal initial recovery period is about 6 weeks and it can take up to a year to recover fully. Of course how quickly one gets back energy etc. is influenced by many factors including type of surgery, overall health, age, etc. You might also want to peruse the pre-op articles:
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/hsl...s=&forumid=170
and possible post op articles :
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/hsl...s=&forumid=171
s, peggiesue
Unread 07-13-2004, 07:53 PM
questions galore

Dear Kerstin,

I'm sailing on your boat. haha. But I think that my hyst. will be done laproscopically (sp). The docs and I had agreed to just the ooph when it all changed last Friday due to my ct scan results. I have an adnexal cyst and a uterine fibroid. I was dx with bc back in Dec. and ca is er+ so ovaries gotta go. I am too scared of tamoxifen so before the ct scan I opted to have the ooph surgery in order to be on arimidex and also lessen the estrogen threat. Anyway, long story short, my surgery is suppose to be on 8/9 when I shall also have implants in due to my bilateral mastectomy. I will also be researching the threads to this wonderful site. Good luck to you and please keep in touch.

Gricel

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register