scared to death | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

scared to death scared to death

Unread 07-14-2004, 09:12 AM
scared to death

Hi every one

I a recently new to this site, and i have really enjoyed it, it has helped ALOT. Yesterday my Dr. office called to let me know that the 3rd pap smear in 3months has come back abnormally high and they want to do a colpscopy to rule out cancer. This really has me freaked out. Can any one tell me how long it will be before i can return to work? I am having a tvh on the 28th of july.
And now I have this to worry about. It is such a long road (will it ever end?)

God bless all of you
mskins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-14-2004, 09:33 AM
scared to death

Hi I know the waiting is the worst for all of us.. But it still might be benign so keep that in mind... easier said then done . I know I am probably the worst at the waiting but at least they are doing something about it... I had a vaginal hysterectomy when I was 29 I remember being out of it for at least 2 weeks to begin with, but I think its how much you can take pain etc. I would say give yourself a month. Please try to stay calm and guess what the guessing and the worrying will eventually end regardless of the outcome because you finally know the answers. it is just a long road there..... I will be praying for you good luck
Unread 07-14-2004, 12:56 PM
scared to death

Hi, I know it is easier said than done but please try to hold off any panic now as there can be a number of reasons that the pap smears may be off. Should there be any chance of cancer after testing, please consider working with a gyn/oncologist as they are the experts in this area.
A hysterectomy, by whatever procedure, is major surgery and internal organs are moved around, many internal stitches are placed, etc. In general the initial recovery period is 6 to 8 weeks and many doctors will recommend staying home from work that entire period. Of course we all are different and some may heal faster, also such factors as overall health, age, etc. may influence the healing factor. Please give yourself sufficent time for recovery which can help avoid possible later complications.
I am wishing you an easy and complications free surgery on the 28th. s, peggiesue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-14-2004, 04:03 PM
scared to death

Sorry you are having to deal with a cancer scare. Did you have your tvh scheduled for other reasons or is it all about the paps? Are you okay about having a hyst at such a young age?

I had a tvh 8 weeks ago because of dysplasia and it wasn't bad at all. Abdominal is a different kettle of fish -- can't comment on that. I have two little kids so I've not been a pampered princess. I went back to work 7 weeks after and had no problems. Suppose if I'd have had a job where I wasn't on my feet all day (I'm a nurse) I could have gone back a couple of weeks sooner. I only work 2 shifts per week, don't know how tiring full time would be.

I had very little pain in the early hours. Had a morphine pump for the first few hours. After 12 hours I was more than fine with normal over the counter pain relief including anti-inflammatories. A couple of days later I had bad gut pains on and off for several hours. Maybe it was my guts waking up angry or maybe I had a dose of what the kids had. Either way, it only lasted a few hours. Normal movements didn't hurt in the slightest but I felt I needed to lay down for an hour or so each afternoon for the first 2-3 weeks or else I felt a heaviness and pulling sensation.

8 weeks out and its like nothing ever happened. Its a huge relief not to worry about cervical cancer and to find out the dysplasia wasn't carcinoma in situ or worse.

Must always end these "please don't worry too much" replies with a disclaimer. (Credit goes to Jeanine for the following statement.) What some women find a walk in the park (me) others find to be like a marathon on a 100 degree day. Hope you're like me.

Keep us updated on your colpo results and surgery. Thinking of you. Laura

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register