Update from surgeon on abnormal ultrasound | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Update from surgeon on abnormal ultrasound Update from surgeon on abnormal ultrasound

Unread 07-14-2004, 12:53 PM
Update from surgeon on abnormal ultrasound

Hello again. I posted yesterday about an ultrasound I had done that showed a lot of cysts but one solid mass. Today, my surgeon says she and the radiologist both want me to do an ultrasound-guided biopsy tomorrow.
She said it is not a cyst and is small, about 6mm and very deep, right above my chest wall. She can't feel it and is concerned that it suddenly appeared just over the last two months. This worries me as I have always had a lot of cysts and I know what they look like on the films and I can always feel them.
I know I shouldn't worry but of course I am.
Does anyone know how long it takes to get the results back from this kind of biopsy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-14-2004, 01:13 PM

You need to ask - at some places - you walk out with a preliminary diagnosis. At others, the slides are taken to pathology and it can take up to a week.

Preliminary pathology can have errors - and that's one reason why some places don't do them.

Dorrie
Unread 07-14-2004, 01:21 PM
Biopsy

Hello again Beachclouds,

It took about a day and a half - two days for my surgeon to get the path results. He had nothing to do with the biopsy except to order it for me. That's why the results were reported to him. I did hound him (call his office) to get the results. At one time his nurse said reporting biopsy results to patients was not too high on his priority list. (Hmmmm. I still like him though.)

Actually, ask the radiologist how long it will take for your doctor to get the results. I thought it would take about a week, but radiologist was who told me only day and a half - two days.

Ask the radiologist about what he/she sees on the ultrasound while doing the biopsy. When the radiologist first saw my tumor on US, she said she thought it was a fibroadenoma. Then a few days later when she was actually doing the biopsy, she said she felt even more certain that that's what it was because the tumor "rolled" when probed with the needle. Guess that means a fibroadenoma is loose in breast tissue as opposed to a cancer tumor is not.

Remember -- it is much, much more likely that it will be benign. Again, don't worry about the procedure -- I felt virtually nothing.

Please let us know.

Mary D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-20-2004, 03:26 PM
Results?

Beachcloud, I guess it hasn't been that long . . . did you get the results yet? The beautiful "benign" I hope.
Mary D.
Unread 07-20-2004, 06:49 PM
results

Hey there seashell,
I just found out today...it's benign! Thanks so much for asking. It is kind of you. Pathology said that it was fibrodenoma I believe. But, there was hyperplasia also.
I was so relieved and worried about it over the weekend, of course. I go to see my surgeon tomorrow for a follow-up. I am assuming that she will just ask me to follow up on it with another ultrasound I guess.
Thanks again. Take care,
Beachclouds
Unread 07-20-2004, 07:40 PM
Benign!

What a relief -- it was benign. Congratulations! Now you can go back to enjoying life. Have fun.

Mary D.
Unread 07-20-2004, 09:13 PM

Congratulation indeed!! We are always grateful for good news.

Take good care and let us know what the surgeon tells you.
Unread 07-21-2004, 01:17 AM

Oh what fantastic news beachcloud i am sooooooo happy for you!!!!!!!!

Big z

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register