Vaginal implant radiation and Stage 2a cancer? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vaginal implant radiation and Stage 2a cancer? Vaginal implant radiation and Stage 2a cancer?

Unread 07-14-2004, 01:47 PM
Vaginal implant radiation and Stage 2a cancer?

Please help with information on what vaginal implant radiation is? And what does a stage 2a cancer mean?

I had a total Hysterectomy June 23rd and am now being told that I will need additional treatment. I had a 4.5 cm uterine tumor extending into my upper cervix stage 2a cancer. Amazing to me as since last September I had 3 sets of full biopsies, 2 ultrasounds (showing fibroids), and 2 pap smears. Only the 3rd biopsy showed simple hyperplasia. The decision for surgery really ran on my gyn listening to me, as to how much pain I was in and my bleeding.
So here I am recovering from surgery, actually feeling pretty good and waiting for approval from my insurance company to see an oncologist. I am in a no mans land not knowing what is really next.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Radiation? I just hope I won't need Chemo. Thanks to all....Margaret848
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-14-2004, 02:58 PM

's and to Cancer Concerns

Uterine Cancer Stages can be found at this link for the Mayo Clinic:
http://www.mayoclinic.org/uterinecan...x/staging.html

Or you can check the resources at Hystersister at:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/link.php?s=

and go down to ---> Cancer - Endometrial/Uterine

this should help you find any information you would need to know about your cancer and stages.

As far as the vaginal implant radiation goes it is like a radioactive tampon (for lack of a better way to describe it), and depending on wether they use High dose radiation HDR (usually tampon is in for only 15 min to a half hour -- I am not sure as I did not have the High dose) or Low dose radiation LDR (the tampon is usually in around 48 hours this one I did have -- and you lay in bed for around 48hrs +/-)

Best of luck in your treatments and
God Bless
Unread 07-14-2004, 04:16 PM

Welcome,
I really believe not knowing is the most difficult part of the treatment.
Your story is so similar to mine. I am a breast cancer surivor, eleven years, and was taking tamoxifin for the suggested five years. Just after finishing that treatment I started slight spotting. Went immediately to gyn/onc had had three biopsies and was continually assured that all was OK. That is unil June of last year went surprise the dx of cancer. I had repeatedly asked for a hyster. to no avail. You are lucky your doctor listened to you and your body. I am sure that had my surgery been the three years eariler, I would not have had the radiation treatments.

Now to the implant. I had three treatment of the high density radiation after 28 external treatments. The internal treatment lasted less than six minutes each. The actual length of time depends of the age of the radium in the cylinder. It has a certain half life and if has been recently replaced the lengh of the treatment is shorter than if it is older. My first one ws less than five minutes and the final one about six. I had been told that it was ready to be replaced and if the new one had arrived my third treatment would have been the shortest.
The simulation or set up was by far the longest part of the treatment. After that each treatment from arrival to finish was less than 30 minutes. No burning or discomfort from this. Some bowel and bladder discomforts from the external, but all manageable. Still not perfect in that department, but getting there.
Good luck. You can do this!
Jean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2004, 01:57 PM
Thanks

Thanks so much for replying to my questions. I still am two weeks away from seeing an oncologist, the waiting is so hard as I just don't know what kind of full treatment will be recommended.

Ug....This is my summer "vacation"....

Love to you both,

Margaret
Unread 07-19-2004, 02:13 PM
internals

After you get your ok for the onc. just listen to the team & you`ll be fine,really.It`s just as they have described-no pain(unless you`re a little tight down there),
just the residual from the externals(diarhea,constipaton..)
Don`t get scared,this is the end of it : )!!!

Good luck to you & Godspeed!

Marie
(katie0211)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register