Lupron & Osteoporosis | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Lupron & Osteoporosis Lupron & Osteoporosis

Unread 07-15-2004, 01:16 PM
Lupron & Osteoporosis

Hey Sisters,

I was wondering if anyone has had a bone density test as a follow up from long term use of Lupron. Maybe 6-month therapy or more.
I have not, but my hips are worse now than ever.
I was on Danocrine & BCP in the 70's-80's, and one round of
6-month Lupron injections in 2001.
I finally couldn't take the pain and suffering anymore and also my fibromyalgia (chronic fatigue) increased in intensity. My wrist and hand problems have also increaed. Gee I am falling apart.
At age 43, I had a TAH/ BSO July 31, 2003 due to 28 years of suffering from Endometriosis, adhesions, adenomyosis, cysts, small fibroids.
I take vitamins including calcium/magnesium and I eat alot of vegtables high in calium.

Colleen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2004, 02:47 PM
Lupron & Osteoporosis

I was told by my doctor that any bone density lost due to Lupron use was reversible?!? Hope that offers some comfort....I'll cross my fingers that it gets better for you.
Unread 07-15-2004, 02:58 PM
Lupron & Osteoporosis

To: Teach

I read a recent thread on a similar subject. Adding more calcium to the diet was talked about. And a reply said maybe to be checked for arthritis. That is very common in the 40's, the age group I am in too.

To: Jamie

Whew....that does offer me some comfort. I was on (3) months of lupron to shrink my fiborids for surgery. My Dr. said that in (3) months time there would not be bone density loss. And worry wart me was wondering!!

I take a multivitamin and calcium, eat healthy and go to the gym. So...hope that helps too.

Good Luck ladies!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2004, 03:39 PM
Lupron & Osteoporosis

I participated in a medical study for a drug similar to lupron called synarel in the early 90's. I had a baseline bone density scan at the begining and one after 6 months of treatment. The purpose of the study was to see if add back estrogen would help to minimize bone loss and still be effective at treating the endo. I still to this day do not know if I received the add back estrogen or a placebo (I strongly suspect estrogen). I did not request the results of my scans. Hey, I was in my 20s and going to live forever, right?

That doctor said I would lose about the same amount of bone density as a breastfeeding woman even without the add back estrogen.

Bone scans are painless. If it would ease your mind, request that one be done!
Unread 07-16-2004, 08:17 PM
Lupron & Osteoporosis

Thank-you Sisters for all of your posts. A peace of mind is much needed sometimes. I think I will have some tests done just to make sure I am doing ok.
God Bless you all,
Colleen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register