Former Type A moving to Type B Personality | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Former Type A moving to Type B Personality Former Type A moving to Type B Personality

Unread 07-18-2004, 05:22 AM
Former Type A moving to Type B Personality

Hello Sisters:
I've been tossing this thought around for a few days and thought I would give it a post. I believe this surgery has done wonders for my body AND my personality type. I used to be sooooo Type A and worried so much about things that are now so trivial to me. Goodness I hope this feeling doesn't pass. I kind of like this new me. I am only 5 1/2 weeks post-op but sure hope it stays with me. Anyone else had this experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2004, 06:30 AM

I was just thinking something like that yesterday when I realized how I had slowed down doing simple things like putting away the dishes. I am a "recovering" type A and I usually am rushing through everything just to get everything done. In an effort to make sure I don't re-injure myself and out of necessity while healing I have been going at things at a much slower pace---it actually feels good not to be such a speed demon.
It is probably a good lesson to take into our post recovery time as well.
Lara
Unread 07-18-2004, 07:14 AM

Yes, I used to worry over everything (at times I would get very depressed) and now things don't bother me so bad! Something may start to worry me a little but now I can just brush it off, something I could never do before. I had my surgery 10+ months ago and I still feel this way.
It's made me feel stronger, emotionally. It's a great feeling!!

I hope you keep this feeling!

Take care!!

Always,

*Robbi*

Roberta Lykins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2004, 06:21 PM

I'm glad that this post was started. Just yesterday DH and I were discussing that I seem and feel calmer than I have in years. He always teased me about being restless and always needing to run around and do things. At first, I thought maybe it was depression, but I have motivation to get up and do things. It is just this new feeling of inner peace. I don't know if it is a hormonal thing (not on HRT) and therefore they are not reaking havoc on me or if having this surgery was a life altering event, but whatever it is, I hope it sticks around -- I'm really enjoying the feeling of peace and serenity.

Unread 07-18-2004, 06:35 PM

Ahhh, ladies, try to hold on to your new-found peacefulness and serenity. I thought I had it, but it slipped away. My 6 week recovery period was bliss. I slowed everything down and took it really easy. My younger son's high school graduation and my older son returning for college for the summer happened around my 6th week. I've been running like mad since early June. Sigh... It's particularly difficult because I'm getting DS#2 ready to go off to college and DS#1 needs stuff as he is moving from a dorm to an apartment.

I have hope that once they both leave, I can slow way down and become the Type B personality I was so briefly.
Unread 07-18-2004, 08:19 PM

Can you guys send me some hints on this type B?

I'm totally Type A all the way...and it's hasn't held me much back since my surgery date. I got out of the hospital on a Wednesday and was back running my business from home on Friday. The only thing i dont' have control over is the "vacuum: because it's too heavy to lift...but laundry- dusting...cleaning my kitchen...bathroom and house is still totally Type A...

My business is actually doing better now than when i went in the hospital...help...send me some of those vibes...please...
Unread 07-18-2004, 09:05 PM

I too have felt great since day one. I just can only explain it as calmer and clearer. I am looking at this surgery as a new start to taking better care of myself and finally realize that my life also matters and that I only need to live in the present. I am only two weeks and don't have any pain to really speak of. I also have had no discharge. I am feeling guilty that everything is going so well.
Unread 07-18-2004, 09:51 PM

I was able to stay laid-back for about four months and then my stress level started to climb and climb. I really wish I could have held onto the slowed-down lifestyle, but life happened. Workload increased, mother diagnoised with inoperable lung cancer and DH laid off, all within a few weeks of each other. So three months later, work still on overload, mom on fourth chemo and DH has finally got a job starting in another week. One stressor down and so many to go. Wait DS leaves for Marine boot camp in two weeks, so much for one down.
Unread 07-19-2004, 04:55 AM

Rh9s:
Sending some type B personality vibes your way! I hope this feeling lasts with me! I haven't been back to work yet and that is when the real test will come. I guess the surgery forces us to go slow and really listen to our bodies....perhaps it is this insight that is helping to make the transition so smooth.
Best of luck!
Unread 07-19-2004, 05:01 AM

I used to worry about everything and be the Type A, or as DH told me a glass half empty person, always looking on the dark side.

But I have never felt like this even though I have been off sick for a long time before. I feel more at peace with myself and more in tune to looking after myself. Yes things that do worry me dont turn into the end of the world and I can rationalise and see a bright side!

The phone was ringing the other day and I ambled to it. Dh said are you going to get it and I said well if they want me they can ring back or leave a message.

I hope this feeling lasts. I feel good inside, still have some pains etc but I dont remember feeling this 'content' inside for well ever really!

Fingers crossed sisters.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register