just finding out I need this... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

just finding out I need this... just finding out I need this...

Unread 07-18-2004, 08:37 PM
just finding out I need this...

I've suffered from bad periods my whole life and the doctors have NEVER wanted to listen to me. It started iwth 3 week periods when I was 18... now I'm down to 3 day periods but I go through 28 super soaker overnighter pads and have fist sized clots.

I pitched a fit last month and demanded my doc do something, she scheduled an appointment with an OBGYN. Did that, SHE said my uterus is 4 times normal size. She wanted me to have an ultra sound... normally that takes 2-3 weeks to get in. I was seen the very same day.

I'm now awaiting the results of that, but when the OBGYN felt my uterus and listening to my medical history, she's pretty certain I'll need the full hysterectomy. There is also a family history of this. Right now I have to get my iron level up since I'm anemic (duh... wonder why THAT is) before my doc will discuss surgery with me. She told me to take a multi -vit with extra iron and calcium and eat more red meat. Also told me to quit caffiene (WWWWWWAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH that means no coffee and decaf coffee is icky)

So, of course I'm scared.... mostly of that needle because I have a big fear of needles. And the thought of being unconscious and NOT KNOWING what's going on around me terrifies me. Not so much worried about the consequences of the surgery because I'm now 40 and it will be SO NICE to not mess with the cycle every month. Recovery is going to be boring, but I have my crocheting and my cross stitch to work on. And a million books to read. I just hate enforced confinement.

It's nice to know this place is here for the emotional support. I look forward to talking with everyone a lot in the future!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2004, 08:44 PM

OK. The important thing first. They told you to quit caffeine? Are they MAD???????????

One thing I would say is that if you have any doubts at all you should go get a second opinion. There really may be a way to avoid surgery. Even very large fibroids can be treated other ways (if indeed your enlarged uterus is due to fibroids). I'm just saying you may want another opinion on this.

I'm also anemic, and the dr. put me on iron supplements. In all honesty, I have read about quitting caffeine, but I can't do it. They can't take EVERYTHING away from me!

Try just ONE coffee in the morning......then switch to water like a good girl.
Unread 07-19-2004, 07:50 AM

((( geordicat )))

You found the right place for hyst related info and support. Don't forget to check out the Pre op Articles and Post op Articles . You'll find a wealth of info in them.

I agree that a second opinion is a good idea. It's best to check all your options before having such a major syrgery.

Best wishes.

s

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register