Anybody Out There Sleeping Yet... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anybody Out There Sleeping Yet... Anybody Out There Sleeping Yet...

Unread 07-18-2004, 10:00 PM
Anybody Out There Sleeping Yet...

Tomorrow marks 4 weeks since my surgery and I'm still not sleeping. I have prescription sleeping pills which helps but I really don't want to take them every night.

I go back to work in two weeks and this not sleeping has me concerned. It's okay for now but what happens when I have to get up at 6:30 in the morning? I don't usually go to sleep until around 4. I mentioned the sleeping problem to my doctor last Monday and was told it could be the change in routine as well as hormones not working yet.

How is everybody else doing with their sleep?

Thanks,
Tina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2004, 10:17 PM

Hi Tina-

I had a lot of problems with sleep also, but it has finally gotten back to normal--I guess at about week 6 or 7 for me. I also had an RX for sleep-didn't help much. I also tried a bunch of other things that didn't help. It's strange, but for me, Sleepinal worked the best (over the counter). I think it's basically the same as Tylenol PM and all the others, but for some weird reason, it did the trick for me pretty well. I did combine it sometimes with Tylenol PM. Hang in there--I know insomnia is SO frustrating!! My experience with this and past surgeries is that is does eventually get better. And if it doesn't, make sure you contact your doc!

Take Care
Unread 07-18-2004, 10:19 PM

Hi Cajungal...

I know after my hsyterectomy I didn't sleep for about 4 weeks. I thought it was just me until my friend had her hysterectomy and told me that she wasn't sleeping either. Its very frustrating I know, but once everything levels out it DOES get better. I just got out of the hospital on Thursday because when I had my hysterecomy last November I asked my DR to leave my left ovary for hormones. She ended up having to go back and take it out Wednesday. She couldn't do it laparascopically and ended up going through my hysterectomy incision (after she tried it with the laparascope). Now I'm going through insomnia again. Which I expected. If it doesn't get any better, I'd talk to your doctor again. I took over the counter sleeping pills, which I know you said you didn't want to take them every night, but I know for me, it helped get my body back on track because your brain apparently picks up on your sleeping pattern and eventually I started getting tired on my own, again!

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2004, 10:31 PM

None of the prescriptions sleep aids work for me. I use Vistaril which I think is some kind of antihistamine. My ob/gyn prescribed it to me for sleep when I was pregnant and I tried some the other night and it really worked.
Unread 07-18-2004, 10:38 PM

I am glad to hear someone else is not sleeping thought it was me. I am 2 weeks into my recovery still sore and not sleeping alot.
Unread 07-18-2004, 11:06 PM
Melatonin

I am not having any problems with sleeping, but my husband was and he was told by a pharmacist to take a vitamin "Melatonin" so he did, and he is sleeping much better now!
Unread 07-18-2004, 11:16 PM

Vitamin B Complex has worked like a charm for me!!!
Unread 07-19-2004, 12:36 AM

IT IS MAKING ME CRAZY!

My dh insists that I call the DR tomorrow!!!
Unread 07-19-2004, 02:31 AM

LOL! SLEEP? SLEEP? What is *THAT*?????????
OH! you mean when you fall asleep and actually STAY asleep for several hours at a time? what a concept!

Note the time..it's after 3 am here! I'm 5 1/2 weeks post op and showing no signs of getting a real, full night's sleep.

My problem is I hate to take drugs.....anything...but I'm going to have to do something about this waking up in the middle of the night stuff.

Good luck, fellow night owls!
Unread 07-19-2004, 03:25 AM

Shelly001,

Same thing happened to me. My sleep cycle finally returned to normal after my TAH, then I had to return to the castle to have my remaining (left) ovary removed due to a bleeding cyst. I am now (3:21 AM) NOT sleeping again. After my TAH, I did not sleep due to discomfort. This time around, I am physically comfortable, just hyper or something. I took a Halcion at about 9:00 pm, but it only worked until about 2:00 am. So, even with meds, I don't get a full night of good sleep. It is starting to effect my mood during the day. I am going to give it a few more days and see if my body adjusts, but then I'm calling the doc!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register