When did/will you return to work? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

When did/will you return to work? When did/will you return to work?

Unread 07-19-2004, 09:57 AM
When did/will you return to work?

Hello Hyster Sisters!!

I had a TAH/BSO on June 29 and am starting to feel alot better now. I sort of feel guilty for not returning to work ASAP.

When did or will you return to work? Do you plan on staying home for the total six weeks?

Could I really do myself alot of harm if I return too soon? I work at a computer but I do have a lot of stress on the job.

Hope all you you are doing well,
Lola
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2004, 10:48 AM

Hi, Lola -

I work from home, and about week 3, I started to spend an hour ortwo doing stuff. I am now almost 6 weeks, and I still can't sit for more than 2 hours at a time without getting abdominal pains. I go for my Post-Op today, so I am going to ask. It is improving, however - at 4 weeks, I could only sit for 45 mins - 1 hour at the most.

Esme
Unread 07-19-2004, 10:50 AM

Hi,

I went back to a desk job at 6 weeks. I did pretty good,but was tired at the end of day. I think it is to be expected for a while. I felt a lot better at 8 weeks. There is no way I could have done well at work any earlier than 6 weeks, that's just me though.

If you can, try not to go to bed late and get around 8 hrs. sleep. It helps a lot to have enough sleep and rest. If you have a hard time sleeping ,give dr a call, he can recommend what to do.

Take care and sending s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2004, 10:52 AM

Hi Lola,

After my TAH, I went back to work part-time at 5 1/2 weeks, then full time at 6 weeks.

Though you're feeling good now, it's because you're being a good Princess. It's important to give your body the time it needs to heal in order to avoid possible complications like adhesions or prolapses.

Even (or especially) with a desk job, you need to wait if you can. Sitting puts a lot of pressure on your internal healing tissues.

Give it a little time - work will always be there, but you only get one chance at a good recovery. Six weeks isn't such a long time, but it's a very important time as what you do now can determine you future health for years to come.

s,

Lisa
Unread 07-20-2004, 01:45 PM

Thank you, Sisters, for your replys. I will follow your advice and get lots of rest. I'll take care of myself now and worry about the job later.

You be sure to take good care of yourselves too!

Lola :-)
Unread 07-20-2004, 02:12 PM

Hi ladies!

I returned to work full time at 4 weeks. I have a desk job and sitting was very uncomfortable. I keep an ice pack here for when it is really tough.

I have found that during the first few weeks back (I am 9 weeks post op now) it was helpful to lie down for about 30 minutes when I got home from work to kind of recharge myself.

Take your time. I wish I had waited 2 more weeks just for the increaded energy level.
Unread 07-20-2004, 02:29 PM

I went back on half shift, light duty at 5 1/2 weeks. Went back to fulltime at 7 weeks, but stayed on light duty until 12 weeks post op. I still got tired easily for another couple months and was starting to feel like I must be a real wimp!

Now at 10 months post op, I'm glad I was so careful. I feel better than I ever did and have no worries about anything the job may throw my way.

s
Cat
Unread 07-20-2004, 04:55 PM
TAKE YOUR TIME

whatever your job entails, whatever pressure you're feeling (self imposed or via work)....learn to let it go. your body has been through a trauma. allow yourself to heal physically and take this time to heal emotionally. time is something we always wish we had more of. allow yourself. relax. god bless.
Unread 07-20-2004, 08:34 PM

Thank you Emm and all,

I'll try to rest and not feel guilty about missing so much work.

Our bodies are more important. I am just so used to putting everything and everybody else ahead of me. Now that I am feeling a little better I am sort of having a hard time of just taking care of me.

All of you Hyster Sisters are so wonderful !!!

The best to you all :-)
Unread 07-20-2004, 09:36 PM

I'm just at 3 weeks. I'm feeling pretty good, except for Swelly Belly and tender abdomen. I find that I have to rest after any outing or activity. But I have really tried to be a good princess.

DH and I are going away to a cottage in Maine for my last week off. Then back to work on 8/2. That will be 5 weeks off. I'm feeling a little guilty. Dr. said I could return after 4 wks. But boss has been very good and even suggested that I work part-time the first week or so if necessary.

There is a lot going on where I work so I guess it is good I took the extra week. I know I will have to deal with everything once I go back. I have to learn to put limits on my hours. I know too well that "Life is too short." We should all remember to take good care of ourselves.

This site has been the best! Every question I have seems to get asked and answered here. Even before hyster I knew what to expect, from the inflating leggings after surgery to the need to get up and walk as soon as possible.

Thanks and blessings to all.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register