radical lymph node dissection - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

radical lymph node dissection radical lymph node dissection

Unread 07-23-2004, 01:08 AM
radical lymph node dissection

A few months ago a very nice doc told me that if you don;t get lymphedema right away, you are not going to get it. that is good news.

I had 18 nodes out for stage 1a endo--plus all other equipment was removed.

My research showed that we have about 350 lymph nodes--so the rest of them pick up the slack for the missing ones.

I just posted about my recent learning experience--a year after surgery I really overexerted--so now I am going to try being gentler again on the dear body.

Good luck, Love, Alana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2004, 10:27 PM

Hi Alana,

Thanks for sharing your research info - it is something I should have done long ago but have not yet. And your number sounds like my missing 39 nodes will be OK. I am 2 yrs out so I am going to assume no lymphadema from this. Thanks so much, wishing you and all, the best. Judy
Unread 07-24-2004, 04:54 AM

Alana,

It's interesting that your research said 350 lymph nodes! Here's a link I found saying that there are more than a thousand lymph nodes scattered throughout the body:

http://www.kidsgrowth.com/resources/...il.cfm?id=1559

That's quite a bit of difference between the totals. I've seen others that said between 600 and 1,000. I did see other articles which stated that the total number of lymph nodes varies from person to person.

Since I always need to have questions to keep my gynecologic oncologist and radiation oncologist on their toes, I'm going to run the question by them at my next appointment just to see what both of them have to say.

Take care,

MoeKay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2004, 08:35 AM

Thanks for all the info. about the lymphnodes. I've been trying to research about that, but didn't find much. Have no idea how many they took from me, but I'm feeling great.

Deanna
Unread 07-24-2004, 06:04 PM

HI Judy----
I also had lymph nodes removed---don't know how many?---But do know that he took them from 3 different spots...I did have a slight problem like Donna and my toe on my left foot was numb for about 2 months, but then it was better all of a sudden---something about the nerve like Donna

Ro
TAH/BSO 7-17-03---endometrial cancer 1B
Unread 07-24-2004, 11:05 PM

There may not be much discrepency about these two estimates of lymph node numbers, as we may not be comparing apples to apples. 1,000+ nodes throughout the body may work out to be about 350+ in the abdomen. Don't know if these are the areas each of these numbers were referring to, but if so, they may not be far off. Even if only 350 in the abdomen, I am hoping that 39 of them will NOT be missed!

Thanks for the info - Judy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register