Back disc injury after vaginal hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Back disc injury after vaginal hysterectomy Back disc injury after vaginal hysterectomy

Unread 07-20-2004, 06:32 AM
Back disc injury after vaginal hysterectomy

My seemingly rare post surgery complication is herniated discs. Seems that lengthy positioning of legs bent right back during vaginal hysterectomy caused herniated discs. Particular discs damaged are L4/L5 and L5/S1. This may never occur with abdominal hysterectomy because of different positioning. My surgery was October 2002. Excellent outcome gynaecologically. Still in chronic at times severe pain and unable to work 20 months later.

Would be very interested to hear from anyone with knowledge of this complication.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-20-2004, 12:18 PM

Hi well I can offer some knowledge on this complication. I had my hyst 2 years ago. It started out as a lavh but because of the adhesions it was finished a tah. I had no back pain before the hyst, but woke up with with 2 herniated discs. The l4/5 L5/S1. I am still bieng treated for the back pain today. My pain is know treated as chronic and I am taking alot of meds. I have had 2 minimally invasive surgeries on the 2 discs but they did not help me.Feel free to pm me if you want to talk about it. I have not talked to anyone in the same situation an me.

Carla
Unread 07-21-2004, 06:26 AM

I had a TVH just over a year ago. I also had a laparoscopy for extensive adhesions about 9 weeks ago. Now, my back is just killing me! I thought it was more adhesions, but turns out it's sciatica. When I think back, I realize that I've had this pain off and on since my hyster. I always thought it was part of the adhesions. I guess not. It scares me to hear what you ladies are saying & I wonder how common disc problems are post TVH! By the way, how do they diagnose a herniated disc? It's scary that you both have the same 2 herniated discs after this surgery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-21-2004, 10:41 AM

Hi Chook,

Pheww!!!

Chook and Carla, I'm so sorry you have this complication.

I'm in a kind of semi-shock reading your posts and don't know what to write here really - the words are kind of choked up in my head. Here goes. I had lower back pain really bad since surgery, in fact, it was only second to the gas pain initially. It eased off a bit but came back with a vengeance after a couple of weeks. I've had more treatment for that than anything else. Even the pain from surgery was less inhibiting. I've had physio, chiropractic and been on diclofenac and co-codamol for longer than I can remember. It has improved I have to say pain wise but I'm soooo careful as to what I do or it just flares up again.

I was referred to the neurosurgeon after 2 months of incessant pain and got to see the consultant just 2 weeks ago. He said he thinks it's a disc problem but has put me on the waiting list for an mri scan which will be around September time. In the mean time, I've been told I'm not to carry or lift and no matter what I'm doing, if I get any twingeing at all, I have to stop immediately. I've been signed off from work now until the results of the scan are through as my job is physical. The dr I saw tested my reflexes of both knees and ankles and made me resist against him pushing my feet down. Did any of you have this?

I've had achy backs before but this is something totally alien to me. I've worked with all kinds of moans and groans, including a stress fracture in my foot though have to say, once it was diagnosed, I had to be off it!!!!!! I grew up with chiropractic and usually any squeaks left after a treatment or two, but even after treatment, I got the pains still. It just hasn't responded as it normally does.

In which part of your backs are the discs you've got affected? The pain for me radiates from the lower part of my sacrum and I do get sciatica too.

Sorry I've waffled a bit - it's worried me a bit too. They told me this had nothing to do with the surgery!
Unread 07-21-2004, 04:33 PM

Hi Bio and musk

It is usually a mri test thay will show if a disc is torn or bulging onto the nerve. I have had 2 mri and 2 diskographys. Bio I replyed to your other post about living with pain. I had put in there to be real careful with a chiro because it made me worse. I did not know it at the time because the dr would not even order the mri until I saw the chiro for weeks.I have the sciatic pain that goes to my right side of my back and then down to my foot. That is from th L4/L5 disc. Then I just have this stabbing aching and burning pain that feels like it is in my tailbone.That is from the L5/S1 disc. I am taking a high dose on Neurontin for the sciatic nerve pain and Vioxx for inflamation a muscle relaxer and a really strong pain medication. I am only 6 weeks out of the last surgery but do not feel a difference yet so I am thinking that this surgery did not work either but know knows I will see the dr again in about 2 weeks.

Carla
Unread 07-21-2004, 07:34 PM

Thank you Carla!

My dr said it may mean a minor op on my back if it is disc, but the longer this goes on and especially since seeing the neurosurgeon, I think this is what it must be. I get pains going down into my foot and my tailbone is painful and sore from time to time too.

They all seem very interested in a riding accident I had when I was 17 years old as opposed to a complication from surgery. (my horse landed on top of me in a fall - OUCH!!) Ironically, I was only saying the other day that I felt they were all looking to cover their backs and grabbing at straws but all I want to know is what's wrong so treatment options get started.

I feel great from the surgery so this is completely frustrating ..... and a bit worrying! I'll just have to wait and see.
Unread 07-22-2004, 06:21 AM

jones74-

I'm so sorry you haven't found relief yet! Hopefully, it will come soon!

musk2u-

My dr. says that back injuries are additive. That means that one injury many years ago might only do a little damage, not even causing symptoms. But if there is another "slight" injury again sometime later, it adds to the first injury. And don't let the drs. kid you, surgery may definitely have an impact. Think about it: You're under anestesia, out cold, and they need to move you from one bed to another. They are pulling, tugging, lifting, and you are not even aware of it. Normally, you might say, "Ouch, stop! That hurts my back!" But of course, you are out, and they keep right on tugging. Please be aware that this is just my opinion! I hope you find relief soon!
Unread 07-25-2004, 09:17 AM
herniated discs

Its funny you should mention this. After my TVA I was diagnosed with a herniated disc. L5, S1 ? I think. Hmmmmm I never connected it to my TVA.

I wonder. I had and x-ray which ofcourse shows nothing, but the MRI , showed the herniated disc.

Though it showed age and deterioration too.

Tell me more about you.

Jeanne
Unread 07-25-2004, 09:24 AM
discs (2)

Also, don't rush into spinal surgery. First I went to a chyropracter (sorry about the spelling) And my lower back actually hurt worse. She had me on my stomach with heat and electrodes. (without a few pillows under my stomach for support)

But then I found a great physical therapist. And I have been working with her ever since.

We are working on strengthing the lower back muscles to hold everything in place.

Let me know what all of you are doing.

Jeanne
Unread 07-25-2004, 02:16 PM

I understand what you are saying bioblazer about the additive side of injuries and how we are handled in surgery. It makes sense.

Trying to be brief as possible, I've grown up with chiropractic as both parents practised it. The method is done purely with the hands, palpation and manipulation. Mum has too many health problems of her own to treat these days (a shame as she was very good!!) and there is such a wedge between dad and I that it's only been 2/3 times. (He dropped me off from the castle, said "we'll sort your back when you've healed a bit" but hasn't even phoned me past week 3! I have to phone and book an appointment just as his patients do.) I think he's offended that I haven't just jumped up and been able to do things normally and my step-mum has been very un-complimentary about it today!! Even though I've got 2 gp's and consultant nerosurgeon telling me do's and don'ts, she has curtly told me that I should be going back to work on check outs .......... which would mean doing things that these dr's tell me NOT to! I guess I'm frustrated and hurt that I've got less support than patients by both my parents!!!! I'm right off chiropractors!!!!!!!! Am I being too touchy on this?

I think I'll just ride this time out and listen to the dr's treating me and wait for the results of the mri scan. They are all confident the problem will be revealed by it.

Incidentally, dad told me today that the procedure is good, done by key hole surgery and he's got patients who've had it done, blah blah ..... and gone back to work 2-3 days afterwards. Oh yeah, I work in a supermarket doing display work which involves alot of heavy lifting, moving shelves and stock about etc .... my step-mum was a checkout supervisor (in a chain that no longer exists) about 20 years ago. I just wish they'd give me a break - if I could do stuff, wasn't facing red tape with my employers (.... we've got patients and your company are soooooooooo good...) who've moved goal post after goal post to the extent that my gp has written to them then YES, I would be at work!!!!

I give up with them!!!!! Sorry this has turned into a vent - I didn't mean it to. The frustration of 1 step forward and 1 back constantly has got to me today.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register