DESPERATE FOR ADVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

DESPERATE FOR ADVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DESPERATE FOR ADVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unread 12-04-2000, 04:02 AM
DESPERATE FOR ADVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

o.k. ladies, i have a problem (i know whats new). i had my preop appt on friday, i didn't see my dr. or the anesthesia dude i saw a surgical nurse who gave me all my directions. well for those of you who don't know i am sick. i have a sinus infection. when i started to feel like i was comming down with something i panicked (on thursday). i went to the store and bought a bottle of echinacea. its a herbal concoction that gives your immune system a boost. i've taken this stuff lots of times before and i've found that if you really load up on it when you first start to feel crapy that about 70% of the time i can kick it without getting full blown sick. the directions on the bottle say take one 4 times a day. well i guess i live by the more the marier rule so i took 4, 3 times a day. i know its stupid. but ive done it before and it worked. anyhow, i did this on thursday and on friday. then i started to read the bottle, the warning part and it says discontinue use 2 weeks prior to surgery! needless to say i haven't taken anymore since then. back to the preop part of this disaster. the nurse asked me to give her a list of all the meds that i'm currently taking. i told her about the echinacea (just that i was taking it, not that the bottle said stop 2 weeks before, i didn't find that out till later that night.) and she didn't say anything about it. do you think that i should bring this up to my doc?

Now for the second part. as i told you, i am sick. the nurse said that they would still do the hyst as long as i don't have a fever and i'm not coughing. well all of this junk in my head is draining and going into my lungs. it always happens this way, i usually get bronchitus after a sinus infection. its not a full blown nasty cough yet, just everyonce in a while. when i wake up and even then its only a couple good hacks and then i'm done. should i pretend that everythings fine, i don't know what to do. i don't think i can handle it if my doc postpones this thing, i may loose my mind. also my dh is a student and he only has this month off. i have 2 small kids and the more help i can get the better. thats what made me pick the 5th. wow, i am really freaking out. i know you girls will have some good advice. does the doc not want to do the hyst if i'm coughing because the coughing would be to hard on all of the stitchs inside? just wondering. sorry for taking so much time. HELP ME PLEASE, i have 1 day to go.
hugs
nocluegirl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-04-2000, 04:16 AM

Talk to your doctor. Explain about the echinacea and about the coughing. It isn't just the surgery and recovery you have to worry about, but the congestion in your lungs could cause problems with the anesthesia. If he decides to postpone surgery I'm sure it will be difficult for you, but it's better to be safe. You don't want anything to hinder your recovery. Best wishes,
Unread 12-04-2000, 06:53 AM
Call Your Doc!!!!

Please call your doctor's office today and tell them all of this! I am the same way with the sinus/lungs connection and trust me... You will NOT want to have surgery with any type of chest congestion. They may give you some antibiotics and ask you to go in for a chest XRay.

My doctor's office gave me a slip of paper stating that if I were on any herbal supplements to stop 2 weeks prior to surgery. The also added this is because they are not regulated by the FDA so they do not know what could happen, if anything, if taken prior to surgery.

I hope everything gies well for you. Please let me know. I have to call MY family doc today because here I am, 2 weeks pre-op, with THE SAME THING!~*

Good luck!

Kami~*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-04-2000, 11:37 AM

The same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago when i was scheduled for a laparoscopy. I started getting a head cold on Thursday and was scheduled for surgery on Monday so I started piling on the ech. pills, it helped and nobody said anything about the pills before the surgery. The doctor did say they wouldn't do the surgery if I had a headcold because of the risk of pnemonia. Please call your doctor and check it out with him. Better safe than sorry later. Good luck!
Unread 12-04-2000, 12:03 PM
Check with your doctor *and* an herbalist

Even if your doctor says it's OK, you might also check with someone experienced in the use of herbal medicines.

My doctor warned me not to take several things, like aspirin, before surgery because the affect the ability to form blood clots, so excessive bleeding during surgery could become a real problem.

He did not say anything though about Gingko Biloba (which I don't take anyway) - it also thins the blood. I know of a friend's husband who ended up in the hospital with "mysterious" bleeding in his intestines. He had been doubling up on his Gingko dosages. Last I heard, his doctors still hadn't made the connection.

So what I'm saying is that your doctor may not have a clue about echinicea, or how it works, and might tell you it's fine, when it really isn't. Please check with someone who knows - or look up info on the Internet, at least.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register