Figo staging..i'm confused! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Figo staging..i'm confused! Figo staging..i'm confused!

Unread 07-20-2004, 02:15 PM
Figo staging..i'm confused!

Ok....the other day I was looking at my pathology report, trying to see new info that I've not absorbed yet.
My FIGO "rating" is stage 1, so I wanted to know what that meant. So I went to the 'Net, naturally

"FIGO Staging is based on clinical staging, careful clinical examination before any definitive therapy has begun. Exception: ovary, which includes surgical exploration.

Categories:
Stage 0 In situ carcinoma
Stage I Similar to localized: confined to organ of origin
Stage II - Stage IV Extension beyond organ of origin into areas of the pelvis and beyond (regional and distant stages) "

OK. SO. I had a 14 cm tumor on my ovary. My pathology report says it is FIGO stage one...OK...I'm with it so far...BUT....they found cancer cells in 2 lymph nodes...does that not contradict what it says under the "categories" section? Stage 1 would be if the cancer was confined to ONLY the ovary...right?

What confuses me is that my FIGO is stage one, but my diagnosis is stage 3c.

Does anyone have a better understanding of this, and be willing to explain it to me?

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-20-2004, 07:18 PM

s K9

I found the following on the Johns Hopkins web site.
It looks as though it has to do with staging IC or IIC by using the peritoneal fluid.
Hope this helps.

Peritoneal Fluid Cytology

Cytological samples of peritoneal fluid are routinely obtained during staging procedures for ovarian cancer. These findings are important in substaging early (FIGO I and II) ovarian cancer; malignant cells in peritoneal washings or ascites warrants assignment of tumors to stage IC or IIC.

karenann
Unread 07-21-2004, 01:27 AM

Hi K9 !
First of all, I am no expert on this, before my surgery in May I knew nothing, and after it I knew nothing for a long time too. I have just been reading lots and lots on the internet, and there are a lot of good sites out there.
MY understanding is that the lymph nodes are a seperate issue from the stages. Stage two means other "organs" are involved, (such as uterus, fallopian tubes, bladder, etc. WITHIN the pelvis. Stage Three means spread beyond the pelvis 'organs'. and four means distant spread. I believe you can be staqe one and either have lymphnode involvement or not. That is a seperate issue. (maybe lymph nodes arn't 'organs'???) This is my understanding, and if I'm wrong, anyone, feel free too correct me.
Hang in there!
-Sus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-21-2004, 06:40 AM

Hi Sus

Any lymph node involvement with ovarian cancer causes your staging to drop to Stage IIIC.

Here is the staging list from the National Ovarian Cancer Coalition:

Stage I—Growth of the cancer is limited to the ovary or ovaries.

Stage IA—Growth is limited to one ovary and the tumor is confined to the inside of the ovary. There is no cancer on the outer surface of the ovary. There are no ascites present containing malignant cells. The capsule is intact.

Stage IB—Growth is limited to both ovaries without any tumor on their outer surfaces. There are no ascites present containing malignant cells. The capsule is intact.

Stage IC—The tumor is classified as either Stage IA or IB and one or more of the following are present: (1) tumor is present on the outer surface of one or both ovaries; (2) the capsule has ruptured; and (3) there are ascites containing malignant cells or with positive peritoneal washings.

Stage II—Growth of the cancer involves one or both ovaries with pelvic extension.

Stage IIA—The cancer has extended to and/or involves the uterus or the fallopian tubes, or both.

Stage IIB—The cancer has extended to other pelvic organs.

Stage IIC—The tumor is classified as either Stage IIA or IIB and one or more of the following are present: (1) tumor is present on the outer surface of one or both ovaries;
(2) the capsule has ruptured; and (3) there are ascites containing malignant cells or with positive peritoneal washings.

Stage III—Growth of the cancer involves one or both ovaries, and one or both of the following are present: (1) the cancer has spread beyond the pelvis to the lining of the abdomen; and (2) the cancer has spread to lymph nodes. The tumor is limited to the true pelvis but with histologically proven malignant extension to the small bowel or omentum.

Stage IIIA—During the staging operation, the practitioner can see cancer involving one or both of the ovaries, but no cancer is grossly visible in the abdomen and it has not spread to lymph nodes. However, when biopsies are checked under a microscope, very small deposits of cancer are found in the abdominal peritoneal surfaces.

Stage IIIB—The tumor is in one or both ovaries, and deposits of cancer are present in the abdomen that are large enough for the surgeon to see but not exceeding 2 cm in diameter. The cancer has not spread to the lymph nodes.

Stage IIIC—The tumor is in one or both ovaries, and one or both of the following is present: (1) the cancer has spread to lymph nodes; and/or (2) the deposits of cancer exceed 2 cm in diameter and are found in the abdomen.

ox karenann
Unread 07-21-2004, 08:54 AM

Karenann -

You're a gem. I had the same questions. Thanks a ton for the info.

Hugs,

Ghita

(Three weeks post-op from TAH with endo cancer, stage 1)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register