6 weeks & still no vacuuming!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

6 weeks & still no vacuuming!! 6 weeks & still no vacuuming!!

Unread 07-20-2004, 04:04 PM
6 weeks & still no vacuuming!!

Just returned from 6 week post op check. I'm not completely healed, so no sex for 2 more weeks. He said actually, the remaining sutures would probably hurt my husband (he likened it to bumping into the end of a broom). Other than that, things are just fine and I don't need to go back unless there is a problem. He said to ease back into normal activities - that doesn't mean jump right into them.

I'm released to go back to work, but no lifting over 20 pounds for another month. No vacuuming for 6 months (darn!). Actually, since no one in my family seems to remember how to use the vacuum, I have hired a maid service. It's more expensive than I thought. I'll bet my husband remembers how to clean and vacuum pretty soon!

I'm looking forward to a new and improved quality of life! Good luck in healing to all Sisters! s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-20-2004, 04:18 PM

no vacuuming for 6 MONTHS?? Yikes. I live alone right now, boy would be floor get really dirty... is that a common amount of time to wait?

"He said actually, the remaining sutures would probably hurt my husband (he likened it to bumping into the end of a broom)"

I hope you continue to have a good recovery!!
Unread 07-20-2004, 04:26 PM

I keep reading about how we aren't supposed to vacuum for 6 months after surgery. I am afraid since I have been vacuuming since my 6 week check-up. I am still hurting a lot. Now, I'm thinking it is all related.

My doctor never gave me any information whatsoever. She never visited me in the hospital--not even on the day I was to be released. When I did see her a few days after I left the hospital--she removed my staples and barely spoke to me.

I have found a new gynecologist to give me my Vivelle Dot and my Premarin Vaginal cream.

I envy all of you who had good doctors who actually treated you well after surgery, instead of doing like mine did--try to pretend I didn't exist.

She treated me that way because of a medicine mix-up the day after surgery. My lungs began to collapse. So, she didn't want to see me or have to talk about it.

I was glad that I had the other gynecologist to see.S~Moonchime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-20-2004, 04:33 PM

Hi moonchime
I wanted to say I got clearance to vacum from dr around five weeks but knew that I was not ready so I waited another ten days and that first time out i over did it and i hurt. I think the clearance for vacuming varies according to how well you healed and what procedures were done. Mine is a light weight canister so it is not so bad.
So sorry you had a uncompassionate dr. That dr ought to whacked good for his or her lack of bedside manner and concern. You can tell that dr is only it for one thing. I was blessed to have a compassionate caring dr. I am grateful to her for saving my life and giving my life back. She was great! Without her I don't want to think what would have happened. I dealt with my primary before her and he blew it off as perimenopause. The thought of what he almost did to me or didn't do makes me shudder.
anyhow a big to you!
teresa
Unread 07-20-2004, 04:42 PM

katlover,

I'm not sure if 6 months is a common time to wait for vacumming. When my doctor walked out of the exam room today (after answering my entire list of questions), his nurse pulled me aside. She said that if you ask any of the nurses, esp. the ones who have had hysterectomies, they would all tell you not to do anything strenuous for approx. 6 months. I asked if I could vacuum the tile. She said that would most likely be OK, but if I do it and find out it hurts or I am sore afterwards, STOP. Definitely no carpet vacuuming. It puts too much strain on the abs and newly healing tissues. She just wanted to make very sure I understood that even though things were fine with my recovery, neither she nor my doctor wanted me to take steps backwards. My doctor said full recovery isn't for 6-12 months. I plan to follow his directions.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register