Just diagnosed - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just diagnosed Just diagnosed

Unread 07-21-2004, 10:07 PM
Just diagnosed

When telling people The News, my strategy was to tell them how great I was doing and that I felt fine and that I had a great doctor and everything was going to be fine, blah, blah, blah, on and on. I kept talking until they had a chance to absorb the news and catch their breath.

Good luck with this - you'll be in my thoughts and prayers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-21-2004, 11:13 PM
Just diagnosed

Hey Barbiekins......so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I had to hear those words from my doc too. What a scary thing. I discovered that it was very difficult for me to pick up the phone and tell anyone I had cancer. I was devastated at the idea of telling my family so I bit the bullet and called a friend to go with me to tell my Dad. After that it was much easier. You will be amazed at the amount of support you receive and you'll feel so much better after sharing the news with people that care about you. I never was able to get past calling anyone with the news, so beyond that first friend I called to help me tell my family, I waited til my other friends called me and told them one by one.
I hope you're encouraged by the posts from others that have shared your experience. Endometrial cancer is very treatable, and sometimes requires no additional treatment at all beyond Hysterectomy. I wish you all the best of luck and we're here when you need us
Ceedeewho
Unread 07-22-2004, 08:02 AM
just wanted to share this...

A well-known newspaper columnist and radio personality where I live has cancer, and in one of his columns he wrote:

(my translation, sounded better in the original)

"people shouldn't be embarrassed to talk about cancer. I have nothing to be ashamed of - I didn't steal my cancer from anyone, and if I did, I'll be glad to give it back!"

Esther
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-22-2004, 10:33 AM
Just diagnosed

GOOD ONE!
I'll remember that, and thanks for posting it!

Any takers??

<<"people shouldn't be embarrassed to talk about cancer. I have nothing to be ashamed of - I didn't steal my cancer from anyone, and if I did, I'll be glad to give it back!">>
Unread 07-22-2004, 11:22 AM
Just diagnosed

When I found out that I have cancer, I used my e-mail list to contact a lot of my friends starting with 2 people who were breast cancer survivors. I told as many people as I could and asked for prayers, thoughts and good feelings, whatever they were into. I wanted the big Karma umbrella lifted over me. I got great responses, some from people who were not terribly close to me before. It made the adjustment period much easier, having people fuss over me and send me cards. I gave my spirits a lift when I needed it most. Now I am 2 1/2 months past surgery and I still have people who put my chemo treatment schedule on their calendars so they can call me afterward. You should put yourself out there and be amazed at the results. I speak more with these people about my problems (in person, e-mail and on the phone) than I do my own family because I don't want to worry my family so I put on my best face for them. I don't feel needy, I feel cared for! This web-site is an example of how women care for their own!
Unread 07-22-2004, 11:44 AM
just diagnosed

Hi
Your situation sounds so like myself, I got this same diagnosis in mid June and had me tah/bso just three weeks ago. I'm a pretty stoic person who usually suffers in silence... until this. I got my dignosis at work over the phone and was in a stupor, went out for a cup of tea and ran into an old friend who's family has suffered through (and survived) many cancers, she knew something was wrong, I told her and got much understanding and hugs. From that moment on God brought just the right people into my path and by the time of my surgery just 2 weeks later I was feeling great peace about whatever the outcome. I didn't find it too hard to tell friends but telling my Mom was the absolute hardest, I guess we never want to hurt our Mom's. She was great. My cancer was Stage I and the surgery got it all so I've needed no follow-up treatment and I'm healing well. My doctor said that if I had to get cancer this was the best kind to get as it's usually confined to the uterus. I can tell you that after bleeding so much (I did that for about a year and was very anemic too) I am so looking forward to feeling better and not having to deal with that at all. The cancer thing is scary but we live in a time when we can be cured and it's not the even close to being the death sentence it once was. I am so thrilled to live a time when they can detect and remove the cancer so quickly and efficiently. You'll find that so many people you come in contact with have already been where you are and have come out OK, they will reach out to you and you'll need to except their help in whatever way they want to give it. This experince has changed me for the better by teaching me to except the concern and help of others, I've gained a new appreciation for the people in my life. I' praying that all will be fine with you. Good luck.

Swedish
Unread 07-22-2004, 02:30 PM
Just diagnosed

Okay, let me begin by saying I know I'm a little anal but...

I began by making a three lists: 1 for people who I wanted to give the whole story to ( I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer), 1 for whom I just wanted to say "I'm having a hysterectomy and 1 for people who just needed to know I would be unavailable for sometime.

Once I did that I wrote up a few bullte points of what I wanted to say for each list and then I started making phone calls and visits. Actually I did most of my telling people by phone, it was just easier on me.

See, I told you I was a little anal.

I just got my diagnosis a couple of weeks ago and even my Doctors were shocked because of my age. I'll keep you in my prayers that you will find the right words at the right time.

Everdean
Unread 07-22-2004, 07:30 PM
Just diagnosed

HI

you already received lots of good advice. the only other thing that I would add is to tell your boss and the rest will follow with that> I work at a high school and was diagnosed July 6, 2003 with endometrial cancer. I told my principal and vice-principal that I would not be there for the start of school on August 13 and would let them know more when I knew more. Thank God I did not have to have chemo or radiation (stage 1b). Word went out among my co-workers even during the summer and I received cards and phone calls and visits to the hospital. I told my one friend from church and told her to spread the word and that I wanted all the prayers they could send. My church friends rallied around me and I had food to feed my husband and 2 teenager boys and me for 6 weeks---what a blessing!
I had a friend of mine take me to a CAT scan before surgery and on the way back, we stopped and told my mom. My friend is a nurse and she made it sound not too bad, so my mother who is 83 did not go nuts.

I think if you find your way to tell one or 2 people, word will spread. Accept all help that anyone wants to give, It's not easy at first, but all help was appreciated!

I will keep you in my prayers ---there is life after cancer!

RO
Unread 07-23-2004, 12:45 AM
Just diagnosed

My gyn/onc told me that if I was going to get cancer, this one was the one to get. She said that because the survival rate is so high.

Hopefully yours is early and you will be fine after the surgery.

Good luck.
Alana

7-1-03 TAH BSO endomentrial cancer stage 1a
Unread 07-24-2004, 05:23 AM
Just diagnosed

When I found out I had endometrial cancer...I was pretty much drugged up (I was suffering from food poisening at the time). Anyway, I just blurted it out to my family when they came in to see me. After that...I found out that if you just matter of factly tell people...it's much easier than to hold it in and wait till later. I found that the people I waited to tell got a little upset with me b/c I didn't tell them sooner.

Good luck in whatever you do

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register