Horrible HORRIBLE Hot Flashes | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Horrible HORRIBLE Hot Flashes Horrible HORRIBLE Hot Flashes

Unread 07-21-2004, 02:00 AM
Horrible HORRIBLE Hot Flashes

HELP HELP HELP!!!!!...Ok..I thought that once you had this dang thing done that the hot flashes are supposed to go away?!?!..lol...I had a TAH but they left both my ovaries cause he said they looked good...No bumps or bruises i guess...LOL...But now seriously...What can I do for these things?...My god I thought i was gonna burst into flames earlier today...My face was all red..Sweat was pouring off me..It was the worst one I have ever had...Even my mom commented that my face was flushed...It kinda scared me to tell the truth and shame the devil...I started fanning and standing over the air vent...My grampa got mad cause I made it "Too **** cold in here!!!"...LOL...I didnt know what to say...LOL..But I can only assume that this is normal...What say you sisters?....Is there anything i can do about them or am I just SOL?...lol...Thanks for the input!!

Hugs to all my Sisters...And Sisters in Waiting...

Pookie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-21-2004, 05:11 AM

Okay, thought I replied to you before, but apparently the coffee has not kicked in yet and I hit the wrong buttons!! I use the cold compresses that you put in the freezer. I put them on my neck and they help alot! I thought they would go away also, but apparently not yet.
Unread 07-21-2004, 05:21 AM

They put me on the Estradiol patch 0.5mgs not very strong and they work miracles. I thought I would try a couple of days with out it because I didn't really need it. Wrong. I woke up soaking wet burning up. and yes the very cold wash cloth behind my neck was what put me back to sleep. My Doctor said she don't think I will need them forever but for now she said with all the pain and everything else the one thing she can make go away was the hot flashes so she did!! It did help me. I hope your flashes get easier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-21-2004, 05:24 AM

Hi,
I've read here that your ovaries might be adjusting to the surgery and are reacting. There are otc remedies I've seen here that seemed to help some. Look under the Hormone Jungle forum. I'm on hrt because my ovaries are gone and was without this the first 3 weeks. I sympathize! They woke me up at night. Good luck!

Unread 07-21-2004, 08:32 PM

HI! I had TAH/BSO on June 2nd. I take an herbal supplement twice a day containing black cohosh until my HRT kicks in. I can tell a difference already. I haven't had a hot flash in 5 days. WHEW! I feel like DANCIN'!

Kel
Unread 07-21-2004, 08:39 PM

I just read today on the 'net that HRT when you've kept your ovaries can actually make your hot flashes WORSE, while if you had a BSO, it can improve them. Me? I started taking Black Cohosh, and that really seems to help. No HRT for me, due to endo.

Esme
Unread 07-21-2004, 11:12 PM
I went to see my DDR today

Well today was my one week postop checkup...They took out my staples...I asked my doc what I could do for this...And you know what he told me?!?!....That I was as crazy as a crap house rat..LOL...He said to me...and I quote..."Didnt I leave your ovaries?"...to which i replied..."Well geez Doc...You said you did...Me I dont know...Did you?"...Granted we all had a good laugh about it...But he told me that since I have them that the hot flashes were just in my head....Just something that I thought up I guess...Hmmmm....LOL...I wonder if he knows what its like to be sitting in a puddle of your own sweat when its 30 below zero in your house?...LOL...I love my DDR...But he drives me buggy!!...LOL...So should I try the Black Cohosh?...Or do ya'll agree with him that im nutty as a fruit cake?...LOL...We also got the pathology report today...My uterus wasnt badly enlarged but it weighed 94 grams...Does that make sense?...But thankfully there were no "Abnormal Adhesiens or ?????ARRRHHHGGGG..I cant remember the word!!!"....LOL....But there were no bumps or cooties or anything...But there was severe scarring from my 2 C-Sections...Im wondering if that had anything to do with how bad it had gotten over the last 7 yrs?...Because I do have to say that it did get worse once I had my 2 beautiful DD's...They are soon to be 4 and 7 btw...LOL.......

Thanks Ya'll....You all have no idea what a comfort its been to have this place and all you ladies and friends in here....

Hugs to all my sisters And Good Luck to all my Sisters in Waiting...

Love to you all

Pookie
Unread 07-21-2004, 11:29 PM

Hi, Pookie! (love your name, BTW)

From what I have read, the ovaries can "go to sleep" from the shock of the surgery and take a little bit to come back to life. Sometimes the nerves and/or blood supply are damaged and you lose their function anyway. But, you won't know until later.

I'd try the black cohosh and see if it helps. I read that the liquid was the best, so that's what I've been using - one dropperful in 2 oz of water 3-4 times/day followed by a water chaser - YUK!

Esme
Unread 07-22-2004, 12:46 AM

For your doctor to tell you your hot flashes are "all in your head" infuriates me. Of course they are NOT all in your head! Just because he left your ovaries doesn't mean they are working and any doctor who is taking women's parts out should know how they are all put together.

It is NOT uncommon for ovaries to go into shock after surgery and not work for a while. You should also know that it is not uncommon for ovaries to fail following hysterectomy. The ovaries need a rich supply of blood in order to survive and their major source of nourishment is the uterine artery; which has to be cut in order to remove your uterus.

The most CLASSIC, COMMON, symptom of menopause is HOT FLASHES and menopause (natural) is caused by a reduction in hormones supplied by the ovaries. Surgical menopause is caused by oophorectomy. Any ovarian interruption or failure can cause hot flashes. It's not rocket science. Any doctor who does not understand (or believe) or admit this, is, in my opinion, either ignorant or hiding something.

If you were having hot flashes BEFORE your hysterectomy and he told you that the hysterectomy would "make them go away," you need to see another doctor.

I guarantee you that you will not find another woman, (among the thousands), on this web site who will agree with your doctor that your hot flashes are "IN YOUR HEAD!" (The nerve of that man!)

As some of the other sisters have already explained, there are many things that you can try. Have you been to the "Hormone Jungle" yet? That's a good place to start.

Clearly, you will have to take matters into your own hands and start learning about menopause. Hopefully you can educate your doctor too. If that doesn't work out (soon) I'd suggest getting another opinion.

Bless you sweetie! I sure hope you didn't doubt yourself for one second!

Hang in there,
Unread 07-22-2004, 10:30 AM

ALL IN YOUR HEAD??? :burning: GRRRRRRRRRRRR....

Let me at that doc one day without a patch and I'll show him a thing or two. That's like waving a red flag in front of a bull to me!

Kel

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register