6 Radiation Tx's Down...24 to go... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

6 Radiation Tx's Down...24 to go... 6 Radiation Tx's Down...24 to go...

Unread 07-21-2004, 09:46 PM
6 Radiation Tx's Down...24 to go...

...and it's going well. So far, I'm not really feeling any side effects other than being tired. I had some pelvic pain on the third day, but I realized that I probably did too much that day. It wasn't from the radiation but from the surgery recovery.

I saw the oncologist today. He actually had not received my surgical records from the other hospital. I filled him in on my progress, and we discussed several treatment options for chemo after the radiation is over. He is going to do some research over the next 5 weeks to come up with the right plan for me. Right now, though, he is thinking about Hycamptin (Topotecan) and Gemzar (if the combo is off clinical trials by then. otherwise insurance may not pay for it)

As much as I am not happy about going through this again, I was happy to see my favorite oncology nurses again. They all hugged me and assured me that it was OK if I was back...they'd take good care of me all over again! I'm so lucky...that made me feel better.

I've been a little depressed. I heard through the "grapevine" that one of my very good friends lost a friend to cancer. She's afraid that this will happen to me, so basically, she's backing away from our friendship. I noticed, too, that there are not as many well-wishing calls when you relapse as there were the first time around. I've also noticed that people must expect me to be at home lying on the couch instead of trying to live a somewhat normal life, despite treatment. All I have to say to them is that I am a wife and mother. Those privileges did not go away when I became a cancer patient...

On a sad note...I lost a friend to AML (leukemia) last night. He was only diagnosed about 2 months ago. His son is a friend of my DD, and his wife is a good friend to me and many other of our school friends. He went so quickly. It sure hits home.

S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-21-2004, 10:27 PM

Linda,

I am glad to hear the first week of radiation went well and that
the oncology nurses are so good. It is natural to feel depressed at all you are going thru and especially to have lost a friend so suddenly. I am sorry that your other friend is backing away. I had a some friends do that to me. They felt they needed to be strong, but couldn't so backed away. Once they realized that I didn't need their strength, only their love, one came back and our friendship grew. Maybe when your friend gets past her grief she will be there for you again. You and your family are in my prayers every day.
Unread 07-22-2004, 07:14 AM

Linda

I am glad that you are doing okay with your treatments, my rad onc told me that the diahrrea wouldn't set in till around the third week. (mine started the first week, I blamed it on the combo of the radiation and the chemotherapy)

I am sorry that your friends are stepping back from you, I am sure that she is just saddened by losing a good friend and doesn't want to lose you as well. So she is, I don't know how to say it, just needing a breather. (sorry if that sounds dorky)

I too have noticed that when the recurrence comes around that people treat you differently, than they did the first time around. I was at a party about a month ago with some of the guys that my dh works with. And Joe, (the birthday boy and good friend of my DH) comes to me almost crying and I did not know how to handle it. I mean it had been about 7 or 8 months from my surgery, and I had healed fairly well. I know that in the month of November I wasn't sure how I was going to make it thru. But I guess he felt that I was going to die or something.

I do not under stand why some people act that way, maybe I acted that way too before **IT** came into my life, but not now I am a different person. More loving, more caring, more feeling, and less cinical, less of carrying grudges.

Maybe you should, if you want to, talk to your friend about her distance behavior. Tell her how you feel, and understand how she must feel after losing a close friend to cancer.

God Bless and good luck on the rest of your treatments
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-22-2004, 07:18 AM

s Linda

It sounds like you are making the most of this treatment time.
Not surprising.
I bet many of us found that there were certain people in our lives who backed away after our cancer diagnosis. Perhaps being too close to us makes them feel more vulnerable or just puts them outside of their comfort zone.
But like Debbie says, sometimes they find their way back.
Hope you continue to enjoy the summer!

karenann
Unread 07-22-2004, 09:27 AM
Hugs Linda

You just keep up with that radiatoin and then chemo and the last cancer cell will leave a note on the door before he runs out of there that your body is inhospitable to cancer cells and none should ever return. Friends will come and go--I think they too fear they could be next--and yes, with recurrence there's been some "she's been there before so I don't need to be as close" attitude that I've had--but stick with us--we don't desert anyone. Let's get those cancer cells running for the hills.
Unread 07-22-2004, 09:31 AM

Dear Linda,
I am so glad you are doing good and that you are feeling okay...I have been wondering how you were doing! I am so sorry that some of your friends are backing away, I am sure it is only because they do not know what to say and are afraid they may say something wrong. If they only knew that saying nothing, ect. is so much worse. I hope they come around and are there for you and your family. You will see the real friends, they will be the ones that cont. to be there through it all. Real friendships to treasure and be thankful for! I hope your treatments are successful and that you will feel good through it all. You are admired by many, and will continue to be in my (and many) prayers!! Take care!

Rhonda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register