Home and staying home FINALLY! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Home and staying home FINALLY! Home and staying home FINALLY!

Unread 07-22-2004, 02:19 AM
Home and staying home FINALLY!

I had my hysterectomy on 6/23 (open hysterectomy -kept ovaries)--I came home after only 2 days in the hospital, but developed a bad vaginal cuff infection as well as a bladder infection. This caused me to be put back into the hospital. Then I had to go to the ER twice--I needed to have a catheter put back in and then I nearly ripped it out getting out of bed---UGH!

But finally, I am physically feeling much better, the infections "feel" like they are about healed. Of course I still need to go to the urologist to check on that next week and then the following week check back in with the gyn to double check everything for my 6 week check up. Hopefully all will be healed up.

My DH had to return to work just 3 weeks after my surgery-he travels out of state the majority of the month--so life has been quite hectic being alone with my three kids-although they are aged 11-16--but they are soooo bored too! They want to get out and do more things, but I am still not up to taking them everywhere just yet. I am driving, but not very much. I am very blessed to be less than a block from the grocery store, so I can quickly pick things up or send the oldest to walk up there for milk or other small items.

My concern is that since the surgery I have a real feeling of melancholy. (I hope I spelled that right). What I mean by this is that nothing that I would normally be interested in seems to mean much to me these days. I am not super depressed or anything like that...I am just in some sort of an emotional fog. I don't seem to be happy about much, nor do I care to get back to doing the things I know I enjoy.

I am going through the motions and doing the things I know I need to do and that I would normally like to do--but am just not "into" doing anything. I found more pleasure in cleaning my bathroom, than in my hobbies or anything else. Enjoyment activities no matter how small all seem to be more of a chore to me.

Also, I am NOT hungry in the slightest. I have lost weight and am having to MAKE myself eat and drink. I simply don't care to and am not finding myself hungry very often. Nothing I eat tastes good to me--everything seems so boring and dull.

Please don't think I am simply trying to whine...I am just concerned because this is very unlike me. I am normally such a positive person with more irons in the fire at one time than I care to admit--over achiever if you will....but I don't want to do anything. I don't want to sit there and watch tv or sleep, but I don't want to get up and do anything either. It is not due to pain...it is not due to discomfort.

My DH called the other day and asked when I would be cleared for marital activites...and I have to admit, in that regard, I am glad he is not home, because I have no interest/desire there either. Am I going crazy???

I guess I just want to FEEL like me again, and for some reason, it is like I don't feel like I am myself anymore. It is like I am watching myself from across the room going through the motions...like I am out of body or something. Has anyone else experienced anything even remotely close to this? I am afraid to tell my doctor about this because it sounds to me like I am losing my mind or whining ...not quite sure which way I would classify it...LOL

Also, the hot flashes are still with me but they are getting better. The doctor said that the ovaries should kick in after a few months, they seem to be starting back up...but I hope they kick back in soon--this is one hot summer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-22-2004, 02:57 AM

hello
I am almost 11 weeks post op now from a TAH-cervix gone-kept ovaries. I went through the exact same thing as you. I felt like nothing mattered. I couldn't get interested in watching tv or anything else. I had such bad anxiety and did housework all of the time, eventhough it was a big no no. I hate to admit, but I couldn't even seem interested in what my four teenage boys were up to. I was irritable and very moody. Finally at seven weeks out, my GYN put me on zoloft for depression. I have been on it for four weeks now and am doing so much better. Hopefully I will be weaned off of it in a few months. This has been a very emotional and trying time for me and I just needed something to help me through it.
I returned to work this last Monday and it has been the best thing for me. To be getting back into a normal routine is just what I needed.
Hang in there. Things will get better. Don't be afraid to ask your dr. for some meds to help you through this rough time.

take care
Peggy
Unread 07-22-2004, 07:45 AM

I haven't had my LAVH yet. One week left today. As far as the not eating though I can tell you I get that after I have surgeries. I've had 2 in the last 2 weeks and food just doesn't cross my mind now. This has happened to me before in the past. Now mind you I could stand to lose the weight so I try not to get upset too fast but yes I'm not hungry right now and when I do eat it is like a few bites and I'm done.

I hope you get to feeling like your old self again though.
Huggs,
Emily
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-22-2004, 08:47 AM

Oh, s!

You have been through SO much! Just having major surgery, let alone the kind we have had, can throw someone into a funk. And the complications on top of it all. and not having DH there to hold you when you're blue. I think it's just part of recovery. I've felt pretty apathetic about things and unmotivated.

However, if it persists or really, really bothers you, I'd talk to your doc about it. I don't think docs do enough to help us through the emotional part of preparation and recovery.

As for not eating - I've lost 10 plus# since surgery, and I'm sure not all of it was "parts." I've heard that the anesthesia can take a month or longer to leave your body. My appetite was terrible the first couple of weeks back, got better, and now it's not so good again, 6 weeks out.

As for "marital activities" - I was relieved when my doc extended my restrictions for 2 weeks at my Post-Op appt. I am scared to death!!!

Esme
Unread 07-22-2004, 10:51 AM

glad they have a handle on the complications!!!! I am feeling pretty blah too... but I'm having crying jags with it so Friday when I go for my 4 week check I'm going to talk to the dr about it.
I drove for about 20 min to and 20 min home the other day and I was wiped out the rest of the day so it's good you have close access and older kids to help you out! take care!
((hugs))

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register