Ovary removal 2 yrs post-hyst | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovary removal 2 yrs post-hyst Ovary removal 2 yrs post-hyst

Unread 07-22-2004, 06:16 PM
Ovary removal 2 yrs post-hyst

Two years ago, I had a hysterectomy. Now, I'm scheduled to have my ovaries removed on Aug. 10th and I have no idea what to expect. I'd like to be prepared a little more than I was then.

I'm 34, had 2 c-sections & tubal ligation (at 18 and 20) and was left with total damage. Had lost a child at 19 due to "incompetent cervix). At 32, my Dr. found that my uterus was completely adhered to my abdominal wall. Not to mention the tangled mess of my tubes & ovaries. It was like someone had welded everything together in there. Left my ovaries due to my age and in hopes that they would behave. No such luck.

He's going to try laproscopic, but may end up with another full incision. I think I should just install a zipper at this point! Help---what should I expect this time?

Thanks so much for all that I've learned by reading your posts in the past!

Renee1969
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2004, 02:31 AM

Hi Renee1969,

My name is April, and I live in Portland, Or. I am 30 and I,too, lost a child at 19. I had a hysterectomy due to severe Endometriosis, ovarian cysts, adhesions, etc in 2000 and my ovaries removed in 2003 for the same problems.

First off, I am sorry for your loss. Not only your child, but the hyst and now losing your ovaries. You came to the right place for great support by a lot of wonderful women who are going through your similar situation.

In my situation, I was at first put on estrogen-even though I knew in the back of my head that it was a bad idea due to the endo..but my doc said I'd be ok. Well, within 7 months the pain was back. First advice, trust your Woman instinct. You are the one that knows your body better than anyone. Don't be afraid to ask questions and stand up for yourself. Second, prepare your family as much as possible and help them understand how important their support and patience is to help you through this. I am very fortunate to have a wonderful and loving husband and two of the most handsome step-boys (5 & 6) and many other family members and friends that support me and the decisions I make in dealing with this disease. I have been married to my husband almost 3 years (together over 4), and he has been so patient with me and our starved sex life. Most times it's very painful, but he doesn't give up on me. It's not always that easy, but we try hard to keep our lives focused. This past year, I've had 2 failed surgeries to remove an "unknown" mass in my pelvic area and have now decided to look at pain management and alternative medicine as an option. My family and friends are having a hard time dealing with my decision, because they just want me "healed", but they support me anyway. It's so important to have that support- Especially being so young and going through what we are dealing with.

I hope you don't mind me rambling on a bit. Please, let me know of any specific questions you may have.

Hang in there.....You will have ups and downs..some meds will work, some won't- but don't give up. Make sure you trust your doc and feel like the doc can keep an open mind about all of your needs, questions, options, and your overall health.

Again, please let me know if there is anything I can do or answer more directly to help you be as prepared as possible!

April
Unread 07-23-2004, 03:42 PM

Nice to meet you, April. I'm Renee and I live in West Virginia. Iwas born and raised in Kansas. I've been to Portland & it is beautiful! My dad lives in Camas, WA.

Thank you so much for sharing your story with me. I am sorry about your loss, too. Yes, you are very lucky to have such an understanding husband and family. I, too, have a great support system. Do you ever still feel alone in all of this, though?

I talk with my husband about everything because we're best friends. He listens and reassures me, but of course he doesn't understand. Love his heart, he tries, though! Anyhow, I guess I feel alone like I did w/ my hyst.

Sorry, I'm a bit melodramatic these days!

When your ovaries were removed, how did they do it --- laproscopic or abdominal? What kind of pain level did you experience? What should I expect hormone-wise?

Thank you, April. You're a blessing.

Renee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2004, 11:06 AM

Hi Renee,

Portland is very beautiful. I just moved here from Phoenix, AZ. I was born and raised in San Diego but lived in Phoenix the last 7 years. Phoenix is where I met my husband. He was born and raised in Portland but was living in phoenix to be near his two boys. Anyway, it's very nice meeting you.

You are right! I still feel alone. My family can never understand what I am going through, but they are there to try and at least have a shoulder to cry on. My hysterectomy was a very tough choice. My Aunt told me that I was giving up- That I should try harder to get pregnant. I know my family was thinking the same but knew that I was in too much pain. Matt and I were new "lovers" at the time. So, he had never even heard of the disease or dealt with anything like "me" before. But he supported me (it wasn't always that easy ) and stayed with me. I,too, felt like I was giving up, but the pain was just too much. I wanted my life back, and I thought this was the answer, after all, my doctor told me it would be! He didn't want to take my ovaries, because I was too young. I knew better, but whatever!

After my Hyst, I still felt there was a chance for me to have a child. After all, I still had my ovaries. I thought if the endo could just stay away long enough for Matt and I to be financially able to, we could have a child. But 7 months later, it was back. That was a hard blow! Losing my ovaries was more difficult than the hyst. I felt a new loss. I already lost one child, but now I am losing all rights to become a mother- a biological mother. I felt very alone! But I'm lucky, I have two of the most handsome step-boys ever. They don't replace my loss, but they do fill it. I still have my moments, and I fell that I am entitled to them. It's still very painful to see new babies. Mothers day is hard- and my b-day happens to be very close and sometimes on mothers day. But I've learned to take the time I need to grieve and then go on with my life and be happy.

Ok, so enough of my rambling -which I do a lot of sometimes

Both my hyst and ovary removal (TAH/BSO) were done by abdominal surgeries due to the fact that I was an absolute mess in there. Everything was adhered to everything- it was a mess. Pain wise, it was just like my hyst. But if you have never had an abdominal surgery, well then, your first week maybe two weeks are considered "Hell" Week. Make yourself (esp if you are like me- who want to do everything) do absolutely NOTHING but rest during this time for as long as you can.

Hormone wise- well you are going to have either an ok experience or a very bad one- it really depends on your body. Have you discussed if you will be put on hormones immediately? They put a patch on me in the hospital. It was up and down for me. My body was trying to adjust to this new type of hormone and the loss of my ovaries. I had decided before my surgery to go on antidepressants to help with the adjustment. Some days I felt like it helped but other days I felt like going crazy! During an episode (either a hot flash, anger, sadness, or anything to make you fell insane), try to leave the situation and take a moment to breath, cry a bit, and get your "footing" back. It does help. I've found that Yoga and other meditation is a great way to deal with the "downs". And remember you are not alone..during your downs when your family just cannot understand..e-mail me or post here. There is so much support here- the support that does know what you are going through and can help get you through with words of encouragement. You are not alone! Yes, I know it feels like it...I have my days where I feel so alone, but then I come here and even if just to read posts, it helps me!

Ok, there I go again. I hope this has helped a bit.

april
Unread 07-26-2004, 12:26 AM

Renee,

Can you tell us a little bit more about why you are having your ovaries removed now? Do they still seem to be working or are you having menopause symptoms?

There is a HUGE difference between surgical menopause, (which you will experience if you have an oophorectomy) and natural menopause. I would recommend reading every book you can find on the subject. At the very least, go to a book store and read the chapters dealing with SURGICAL menopause.

Removing your ovaries will definitely change your body as the ovaries are an important part of the endocrine system and play a great part in your overall health.

It is important that you understand everything and all your options before consenting. Ideally, your doctor will load you up on information about the ovaries and have a detailed discussion with you but since that doesn't always happen, it is up to you to make sure you are informed.

April,

Honey, I was shocked to read your post, "After my Hyst, I still felt there was a chance for me to have a child. After all, I still had my ovaries."

There is just no way a woman can carry a baby without a uterus and the fact that your doctor, (clearly) did not explain this to you prior to your hysterectomy is EXACTLY the reason that I am urging Renee to gather more information before submitting to an oophorectomy (removal of ovaries).

I had no idea how important the ovaries are beyond reproduction and have found out the hard way. I don't want any other woman to find out too late when there may have been other solutions.

Hugs to both of you,
Unread 07-26-2004, 12:32 AM

Hi Lucille,

I guess I need to clarify myself. With my ovaries, I at least had a chance for a one of my eggs and my husbands sperm to be planted into another women. A surrogent mom, but the cost is very expensive and we did not have time to save. I knew the risks with that as well. But it was an option.

Thanks for your concerns

april
Unread 07-26-2004, 12:32 AM

April,

After re-reading your post, I realize that maybe you were thinking of surrogate motherhood?! That would make sense.

Sorry if I leapt to the wrong conclusion!!!
Unread 07-26-2004, 12:34 AM

Hi Lucille,

Too funny! Anyway, thanks for your concerns. Yes, Surgical menopause is completely different from natural menopause!

april
Unread 07-26-2004, 12:34 AM

LOL!

I see you are online and beat me to the response!

That's a HUGE relief! But, in my defense, I HAVE heard of women not knowing a hysterectomy would leave them unable to carry a child. Just never met one!
Unread 07-27-2004, 06:38 PM

Hi, Lucille & April.

I am having both full throttle menopausal symptoms and extreme PMS symptoms. I've also had a lot of ongoing pain, adhesions, cysts, etc.

We've tried numerous hormone combo's over the last 2 years. It's just steadily been going downhill.

During my last exam. he found another cyst and it literally brought my behind off the exam table it hurt so bad.

Hugs to you both!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register