Ovary removal 2 yrs post-hyst - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovary removal 2 yrs post-hyst Ovary removal 2 yrs post-hyst

Unread 07-28-2004, 01:38 AM
Ovary removal 2 yrs post-hyst

Are you aware that polycystic ovaries come under the specialty of many fertility endocrinologist? Definitely worth a visit as they have made great progress with this in the past few years.

I got more bad news from mine today: osteopenia, from lack of hormones. One year before the oophorectomy I was told I great bones, way above average. Now this. (Also, my teeth are shattering.) Those ovaries do so much more than hold eggs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-29-2004, 10:06 AM

Hi,

I just went through the same thing. I had my hysterectomy 2 years ago. Then 6 weeks ago I had my right ovary and a cyst removed. Now, over the past weekend I had emergency surgery to remove a 7.5cm complex cyst and remove my left ovary. They told me I would have to have a small bikini cut. When I woke up I found out they cut me from my belly button down. I guess my ovary, bladder and bowel were all stuck together with adhesions. They also ended up nicking a vein and had to call in another surgeon. They said I should do much better now with all the adhesions gone. It is a rough recovery and now hot flashes as well. In the long run it should be much better. I wish they would've taken the ovaries to begin with!

Good luck to you,

Cindy
Unread 07-29-2004, 04:04 PM

Yeah but here's the kicker... adhesions are thought to be CAUSED by the blood
leaking into the area, either from prior surgery or disease. The ovaries produce hormones that keep our blood from being too sticky and help to PREVENT adhesions! Therefore, women who had adhesion problems probably had them because they had poorly funtioning ovaries in the first place and will most likely suffer MORE if the ovaries are removed. It's a classic case of "chicken or egg." This is the quandry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-02-2004, 10:54 PM

I go for pre-admission tests tomorrow. One week to go. I ordered my hystersister belly pillow and the surgical menopause book. Hopefully I'll get them this week. My face is disgustingly broke out, I'm cramping & bloated. Not to mention being a royal...well, you know. What kind of skincare and makeup would you ladies use for a 34 year old with sensitive, acne-prone skin? Also, what should I take to the hospital with me? I may only be there one night. cyaple, I'm so sorry to hear about your vertical cut --- I wish you a speedy recovery! I wish I knew if it will be laparoscopic or bikini cut for me. I hate uncertainty! Thanks all!
Renee1969
Unread 08-02-2004, 11:43 PM

WoW You have been thru alot I have to have mine done abdominally JUST like I did when I had my hysterec. I know what you mean about a zipper being installed. It seems once I get one medical bill paid off on me something else happens and another surgery is required..... Good Luck
I too want to be prepared and was a good princess with my hystec but I feel with my ovaries being removed its another ball game all together in a way.... I dont quiet understand all the hormone talk yet.

Keep us informed
Unread 08-03-2004, 06:20 PM

GAGAL, when is your surgery? I'm not totally "up" on a lot of the hormone scene, just enough to be dangerous I guess. Mine have been so crazy for 2 years, I may not notice a difference, but it's best to be prepared, I agree. I'm getting the surgical menopause book and I'll let you know how it is. Supposed to have all the important info about the "hormone cliff" we'll be jumping off!

May I ask, why do you have to have yours removed?
Unread 08-04-2004, 07:13 AM

Since my surgery one week ago, my doctor put me right on estrace 1mg. I am still having night sweats really bad, but each day it seems a little better. He wanted me to start taking 2mg, I am really reluctant to do that because of the endometriosis that I had. He insists that it will not grow from taking this. I sure hope that he is right. I cannot take any more surgeries for awhile that is for sure.

Good luck to you,

Cindy
Unread 08-05-2004, 03:29 PM

I hope you are feeling better, cyaple. Your body needs a rest! Is the estrace affecting your moods or can you tell? What about flashes?
Unread 08-05-2004, 05:31 PM

I seem to be having some mood swings a little bit. No hot flashes, just night sweats that seem to be a little better as time goes on. I am trying to get by on the 1mg, my doctor said I can increase it to 2mg but I am trying not to because of the endometriosis. My doctor says it shouldn't be a problem, but I am not so sure.

Take care,

Cindy
Unread 08-05-2004, 06:00 PM

Hi Renee! So sorry for your loss. I'm also going in to remove remaining ovary and large abdominal mass attached to it, one day after you, August 11th. I'm with you on the zipper idea! I've had a c-section, the same bikini cut with a hyst two years ago, and this time I get the pleasure of the vertical cut. Just another to add to my collection I guess. I have lots of adhesions again this time also. I sympathize with those who have difficult bosses- my previous boss with hyst was somewhat difficult. My present boss is accepting at least, but one male coworker has been a royal pain. I teach adolescents with behavior disorders and it has been very hard to have the usual energy. I'm wondering if my remaining ovary has really been working as well as it should - I've been rather emotional and tearful. My doctor suggested the Climara patch for post surgery - will try it and need to do some more research. Hoping for the best for both of us... diane44

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register