Does anyone here regret having their cervix removed? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Does anyone here regret having their cervix removed? Does anyone here regret having their cervix removed?

Unread 07-22-2004, 10:15 PM
Does anyone here regret having their cervix removed?

I elected to keep my cervix for many reasons, not the least of which is the possibility that sexual response may be impaired when the cervix is removed. Unfortunately, I've been bleeding for the past 11 days and it is likely I will have to have the cervix removed after all.

For those of you who've had your cervix removed, do you regret it? I'm mainly concerned with the sexual issues, but also curious if any of you have dealt with prolapse as a result of having it removed.

I really can't see dealing with cyclical bleeding after having a hysterectomy, but don't want to regret having the cervix out.

I'm just curious if any of you ladies have noticed a difference in your "big Os" that caused you to regret having the cervix out.

Many thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-22-2004, 10:19 PM

Hi Susan,

I had my LAVH 2 1/2 years ago - my uterus and cervix were removed. I have no regrets. I have no problems with sex and orgasm is great.

s
Unread 07-22-2004, 10:23 PM

Hi,

I had my cervix removed when I had my TAH two years ago and have never regretted it. Everything works the same as always and I've never even missed it.

s,

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-22-2004, 10:23 PM

Keeping my cervix was not an option, since I had cervical cancer. But if it had been an option, there is no way I would have even considered it. Why leave something there that could become cancerous and could cause bleeding, pain, unpleasant discharge, etc.? No way I'd keep mine. It's gone, and I don't miss it a bit, and neither does Hubby.
Unread 07-22-2004, 10:28 PM

I had my LAVH 4 weeks ago, and they removed my cervix. Like chickenlady, I had cervical cancer so I couldn't keep it... BUT, if I could, I wouldn't have. With the possibility of mini periods, and my bleeding dissorder, I wouldn't have even chanced it. Haven't had much experience in the "big O" department, but I hope all is great and pain free!!!!!!!!! Good luck dear... Diana
Unread 07-22-2004, 10:48 PM

I had LAVH,BSO on 06/08/04. I had cervix out but was very concerned about negavtive things id heard about having it out. now Im glad I did. Everythings fine and I have no regrets.
Best wishes to you.

Laurie
Unread 07-22-2004, 11:03 PM

I just posted today about my question on rather or not to have my cervix removed. I received alot of replies and this is what I have found:

There is the option to have it cauterized, which will stop the 'mini-periods', keeping it helps prevent bladder-prolapses, it helps with future pelvic ligament support, helps with sex, no vaginal cuff that needs to heal, and chances of blood loss is low. This is the information that the sisters here have offered me. Now, I had finally posted this question because I couldn't find an answer to it anywhere. Each women is different and some say take it out, some say leave it in. It's totally up to you, as it's up to me. The more I'm informed about all of this, the better I feel.
I hope this helps you!
Eileen
Unread 07-23-2004, 01:14 AM

Hiya Susan...

Ok I am going to be very very blunt... sorry if this is TMI... lol

I had a TVH on June 28th.... I was as afraid as you about the cervix thing but... let me tell you .. I have had many many many many many many many many "O" s since. I know it seems like I shouldnt have any at all since I just had surgery 3 weeks ago but let me tell you I have and they were great. I did of course have outercourse but it was wonderful . It was wierd the first time but after that ... [email protected]@

Please dont let that get to you . I know it was all ONLY in my head. I worried really for nothing. Now I am sure that it wont feel the greatest the first time but I know I will orgasm.. and I have had many since and sometimes multiple...

If you need to have it removed I don't thin you need to worry. Hopefully it will be fine. As you can see here there are many women that feel the same as I. Take care and Happy "O" s... heheheh

Dee
Unread 07-23-2004, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EileenJ1960

I just posted today about my question on rather or not to have my cervix removed. I received alot of replies and this is what I have found:

There is the option to have it cauterized, which will stop the 'mini-periods', keeping it helps prevent bladder-prolapses, it helps with future pelvic ligament support, helps with sex, no vaginal cuff that needs to heal, and chances of blood loss is low. This is the information that the sisters here have offered me. Now, I had finally posted this question because I couldn't find an answer to it anywhere. Each women is different and some say take it out, some say leave it in. It's totally up to you, as it's up to me. The more I'm informed about all of this, the better I feel.
I hope this helps you!
Eileen
Eileen --

My cervix WAS cauterized during my LSH. That's what's been so frustrating! In my surgeon's words "we cauterized the hell out of it!" and he is more shocked than anyone that I'm bleeding. So cauterizing the tissue does not always mean there won't be menstrual bleeding unfortunately. I'm sure I'm one of the very rare few who have this sort of complication, but it is something you may want to consider as you make your decision.

Best wishes with your surgery!
Unread 07-23-2004, 08:16 AM

Hi
I had my cervix removed on march5th of this year and have had no problems with it being removed. Let me reassure you the o's are there and just as good if not better. My Dr. told me as I was making my decision that it is a myth that you won't have orgasms if you remove the cervix. Keeping both ovaries I had heard about mini periods and decided I did not want to risk it I was done with the bleeding. No problems so far with prolapse. Other then that everything is fine. Had zero problems with vaginal cuff healing.
Hope this helps I had struggled with that question before surgary but learning what I did from here helped me a lot.
teresa
gl on your decision!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register