Rectocele repair..nightmare (long) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Rectocele repair..nightmare (long) Rectocele repair..nightmare (long)

Unread 07-23-2004, 02:31 PM
Rectocele repair..nightmare (long)

I will try to make a long story short. I had surgery on Tuesday, July 13th. It was a 3 part surgery. I had a rectocele repair, IVS Tunneler (for vaginal vault suspension) and laparoscopic surgery for removal of adhesions caused from the hysterectomy last October. Everything went fine during the surgery. I expected an uneventful recovery based on my experience from the hysterectomy, but things went differently from the beginning. I woke up in recovery in terrible pain, burning, stinging, aching pain that the morphine pump did little to help. The idiot in recovery would not give me any ice and my tongue would stick to my lips. She said I could not have anything until I got to my room, so I put up with this for two hours. I still managed to go home the next day. From Wednesday until Sunday I lived on pain pills and would be up for about two hours and then in bed for two hours. I could not sit for more than a little while without having to get up and stand.

On Monday, July 19, I woke up with some minor vaginal bleeding. I had felt so bad the previous week that I had not called to make my follow-up appointment. When I called the office I discovered that my doctor was on vacation and I would not be able to get an appointment until August 4. The office assured me that this was fine. Even though I felt terrible I did not really have a specific complaint so I did not make a big fuss. At about 4:20 I really started to bleed a lot so I called the Drs. office again. The nurse reassured me that “Really, this is perfectly normal as long as you are not soaking more than 1 pad per hour.” At that point I had only soaked about 3 pads since the morning. Almost from the moment I hung up the phone I started soaking pads. I used 6 pads during the next ½ hour and was not able to leave the bathroom. I called the answering service and waited for the doctor on call to return my call, but never received a call back. When blood started dripping through the pad and my panties onto the floor we headed to the ER.

We arrived at the ER at about 6 PM; I wish you could have seen the faces of the two male techs when they asked me what my problem was. I figured that “a picture is worth a thousand words”, so I pulled up my gown and showed them the three blood soaked towels between my legs. Needless to say I was in the back in no time. (This is gross, but when I stood up in the ER a blood clot the size of a dinner plate fell on the floor. The same thing happened when I moved from the cart to the OR table. They did not put me to sleep until the last moment before surgery. The doctor said that my BP would fall during surgery, so they would wait until the last minute.)

Bottom line—at about 11:00 PM I went into emergency surgery with the best OB/GYN from Vanderbilt. As far as he could tell the whole thing started because of a hematoma that probably formed right after the original surgery. It was all inside except for a small hard place that was what had caused me so much pain for a week. At about 4:30 PM the hematoma pushed the mesh from the rectocele repair through the original surgery site and caused the hemorrhaging.

I woke up from surgery with three IV’s and received two units of blood. I left the hospital with a hematacrit of 24. Two hours after surgery I felt better than I had for the previous week. The surgeon had to completely redo the original surgery, remove the mesh, and infection and then left everything open. He said that he dared not close the wound because of infection.

I am feeling much better now and have told this story to remind others (since I did not do it myself) TO LISTEN TO YOUR BODY. Don’t worry about aggravating your doctor. I knew that something was not right, but did not follow through—partially because my Dr. was on vacation. I never want to put anybody out, or cause a scene, and I had never been to the ER for myself, but my delay could have cost me my life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2004, 03:28 PM

Hi Wow, I am so sorry you have gone through so much with these repair surgeries. I'm also grateful to you for sharing your story with us... you've sent a very powerful message in a way that many of us could not. Your post may very well save others from going through what you have.

I'm glad you were able to get a good surgeon to do your last surgery and pleased to hear you're feeling better now. Remember to take it easy ... a good rule of thumb is, do only half of what you feel like doing. Best wishes for a smooth recovery!

s,
-Linda
Unread 07-23-2004, 04:01 PM

wow......I'm sure I speak on behalf of all the other sisters here when I send this your way

please take it easy and pamper yourself....and thanks for sharing your story, it's true, especially after having doctor's tell us repeatedly that nothing is wrong, we tend to try and squash what are bodies are trying to tell us....after reading your post I hope we'll all remember to listen!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2004, 08:36 PM

Oh ((((Sweetie)))) I am soooo sorry you had such a scary experience And I can so identify with your feelings: I too hate to make a fuss and bother others... it brought it all home that being like this could have had dire consequences

(((Sweetie))) Thank you so much for sharing your story and, please, do take good care of yourself. Please let us know how you're doing, when you feel up to it
Unread 07-23-2004, 08:47 PM

Oh my goodness, you poor dear. You have been through such a scarey experience.

Thank you for sharing and reminding us to listen to our bodies and not to worry about bothering or offending others . It could cost us our life.

You take care and rest . I will be saying prayers for you that you heal and have a smooth recovery.

Let us know how you are.

Sending lots of s your way.
Unread 07-23-2004, 10:44 PM

Wow!! you poor thing. What a horrible experience.
Thank heavens it all turned out okay in the end.

Sure makes you realise just how we're own best advocates on whether or not something is wrong. Good on you for posting this.

Very best wishes for an uneventful recovery.... you've earned it!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register