Still hurting more than one year post-hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Still hurting more than one year post-hysterectomy Still hurting more than one year post-hysterectomy

Unread 07-23-2004, 02:42 PM
Still hurting more than one year post-hysterectomy

I had a complete hysterectomy (except for my cervix, which they left in) last May.

For the past year, and still continuing, I feel like I have "ropes" attached to each side of my lower abdomen. Whenever I sit too long, or stretch, or try to exercise or even if I walk a lot, I feel a tremendous amount of discomfort and a strong pulling sensation. I have tried stretching and yoga to relieve the discomfort, but it only makes it work.

Also, when my "ropes" are really bothering me, my lower abdomen is tender to the touch and swollen. And I still have numbness across the incision area!

This is all really interfering with my ability to be active, and despite the fact that I am no longer in pain from endometrios, I am now in constant pain from these internal "ropes!"

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? And do you have any advice? I asked my gynecologist about it, but he just said that I may have adhesions, but that he doubts it, because he thinks he did such a perfect job on my hysterectomy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2004, 04:52 PM
HI

Hi There,
Oh my god, can I relate to you!!!!! I will be one year on August 5, and I have the EXACT same feeling!!! Everyone tells me that I should be all healed by now, and boy do I wish I were!!! This is very annoying. I am VERY tender in the ab also, more like above the incision area, all the way across. I find I feel great in the AM, but by days=end, after sitting at work for 9 hours, I ache!! Especially if I am standing, and lean into something, or "poke" at my tummy. The other day I had on a rather tight pair of jeans shorts, went grocery shopping, and I really HURT the next day, but only if I touched the spots!! It drives me nuts, as I also had endo, and thought this was gonna free me from all pain, this is worse, because the surgical menopause (no HRT) seems to make everything more annoying!!! My DR also thinks he did a "perfect" surgery, and when I asked about it, he acted insulted!! He said it will "take time" but how much time is too much, and when do you worry that it might be a "real" problem? I don't know where to turn with this one, DR thinks your a whiner, and should be grateful you are "fixed", then I think, do I really want to pursue this, as I know that would mean another lap., and I don't want that, so I just "tough" it out. Please let me know how your doing.
K
Unread 07-23-2004, 05:12 PM

Quote:
I asked my gynecologist about it, but he just said that I may have adhesions, but that he doubts it, because he thinks he did such a perfect job on my hysterectomy!
My doctor did an excellent job on my hysterectomy 2 1/2 years ago and I still developed adhesions; I just had my right ovary and adhesions removed last month.

Your doctor may have done an excellent job when your hysterectomy was done - you can still develop adhesions. In fact they are an almost inevitable outcome of surgery - about 95% of women undergoing a hysterectomy will develop adhesions. Not all adhesions will cause pain or problems. Some people go through life never even knowing they have them. Then there are those that can have a small amount of them but suffer a great deal of pain & sometimes ongoing health issues because of them. Their location and what they are adhered to can make a big difference in the issues they may create. Adhesions can be a very real aftermath of undergoing this surgery or any other surgery. The pain they may cause can be quite severe as can the possible complications they can cause.

Pelvic adhesions are abnormal bands of scar tissue that form in the pelvis and cause organs to stick or bind to one another. Adhesions occur in the majority of women who have pelvic surgery. Adhesions are a common and occasionally serious outcome of surgery of all kinds, including hysterectomy. Adhesions that form after surgery in the pelvic area are among the leading causes of post-operative pelvic pain and bowel problems.

Unfortunately our bodies form adhesions after surgery. Adhesions form as a defense mechanism to the trauma and tissue/organ handling that takes place during surgery. The formation process begins before we leave the operating room - it can last up to 5 days. During those 5 days, no further adhesions will form but the ones there will finish their process. There are certain techniques that can be used during surgery to help limit the amount that forms; for example: not using gloves that contain talc, limit the actual handling of organs, keep blood loss at a minimum and be sure that any blood that might have leaked into the pelvic or abdominal regions are cleaned up immediately. There are also products available that can be used during surgery that were developed to decrease formation also.

My doctor said the only way to positively diagnosis adhesions is by laprascopic surgery. I strongly suggest you see another doctor and get another opinion.

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2004, 07:08 PM

I also have a very tender abdomen and incisional area, but my pain is whenever I sleep on my right side, I will wake up with a pulling sensation that feels like it is in the groin area where the very top of the inner leg meets the pelvic region. My doctor acted insulted also and said it wasn't even related to the surgery. DUH, when the anesthesia wore off at home, I immediately felt that pulling, but she said it was too low for an adhesion. I am going to try one last time to talk to her next week. I would never "blame" her for it. I just want her help in this matter. If you have a lot of pain in the abdomen, you really should get that checked out. I hear the laparoscopy is smooth sailing. I wish you luck.
Unread 07-24-2004, 11:04 AM

Adhesions are not only the result of surgery, but can form during an illness. As LynnMary mentioned, they are the body's natural defense mechanism. When I had my first ovary removal in 1994 the op report states that they removed numerous dense adhesions, probably from a previous surgery. Well....that was my first surgery in that area, so they couldn't of been from surgery. They were probably from when I had a kidney infection and than pneumonia.

After surgery, adhesions will most likely form immediately. It is where they form and if they attach to other organs and tissues that can cause problems.

I've had a very tender belly and incision since my hyst many years ago. I've been diagnosed with nerve damage. I had a lap two years ago to look for adhesions and none were found. I also have alot of digestive problems. What I'm trying to say is that the problems aren't always from adhesions, but there may be some other underlying problem. It's best to explore all possibilities. If your current doctor isn't helping, than seek another. I've had to go thru many many doctors in my search for answers and relief. For every door that closes another door opens

Unread 07-24-2004, 03:23 PM
hi there

With regards to this adhesion issue, if we've never had any of these problems before the hyst, doesn''t it just stand to reason that the hyst caused them? I'm not saying it's anybody's "fault", but surely the surgery is the cause. All I know is that after almost 1 year, I still have to watch what kind of pants I wear, as any undo pressure in the abdomen area causes me pain. I'm afraid to have another lap, as I don't want to add more adhesions! Do they get better after time, of is this a permanent thing?
Thanks for any input.
Unread 07-24-2004, 04:05 PM

Quote:
I hear the laparoscopy is smooth sailing.
Well, it's still surgery and all surgery has risks. When I had the ovary and adhesions removed lat month I was told the recovery would be about 3-4 weeks. I felt good after the second week but it did take some extra time to feel recovered and for the swelling to go down.

Quote:
With regards to this adhesion issue, if we've never had any of these problems before the hyst, doesn''t it just stand to reason that the hyst caused them?
It can also depend if you have had prior surgery. I had 2 C-sections, hernia surgery and an abdominal tumor removed before I had my LAVH. I suspect the other surgeries contributed to the adhesion problem

Quote:
Do they get better after time, of is this a permanent thing?
Unfortunately there is no way to predict the future. I am about 8 weeks post-op from the ovary/adhesion removal and feeling so much better - that ovary was sure causing some havoc in my abdomen. Hopefully I won't develop any more problems but you just can't tell.

s to all!
Unread 07-24-2004, 04:12 PM
Re: hi there

Quote:
Originally posted by whatsnormal
With regards to this adhesion issue, if we've never had any of these problems before the hyst, doesn''t it just stand to reason that the hyst caused them?
Well... I guess the answer is yes and no: As both (((LynnMary))) and (((Kim))) have mentionned, adhesions are usually a result from surgery: they are scar tissues that abnormally attach themselves to other tissues and organs, sometimes causing pain. Therefore, you could say that the adhesions are the result of the hyst. However, it doesn't mean that your doctor's at fault, since it could also be the result of your own body's healing mechanism. My guess is that, only you already had adhesions before the hyst, it is unlikely that doctors would be able to predict whether or not you could end up with adhesions

Quote:
Originally posted by whatsnormal
Do they get better after time, of is this a permanent thing?
Again, the answer could be yes and know: while it is always possible that any adhesions could be a normal part of recovery and that time could heal them, it is also possible that the adhesions are there for the duration To help you understand what the adhesion monster is all about, here's a link to our Resources Database where you'll find lots of links to web-sites specializing in the field of adhesions: Adhesion Resources
Unread 07-25-2004, 01:57 PM
adhesions

It's been so helpful to me to read all the email from you wonderful women out there who have unfortunately, like me, are or have experienced what appears to be these darned adhesions! I though I was the only person in the world whose hysterectomy had helped a lot (cured the endo), but given me a whole other set of painful problems!

In my case, I'm sure that I already had adhesions from my four previous laproscopies for endo - the doctor who did my hysterectomy said that I was a complete mess inside! It feels like my adhesions are attached to my abdominal wall rather than to my bowell or other organs (whatever is left down there), because any stretching I do or sit ups or anything that involves my stomach muscles makes them worse!

I just relocate to the Bay Area - does anyone know of a good doctor who believes patients with this kind of problem, and has done adhesion removal surgery? I just dread the thought of going from doctor to doctor trying to convince someone that this is a real problem! I'm usually a very active person, and the adhesions are wrecking the quality of my life - and the whole reason I had the hysterectomy was to improve the quality of my life! How ironic...

Thanks again to all for this discussion - it's so good not to feel alone anymore.

-Ropes
Unread 07-25-2004, 02:08 PM

Quote:
It can also depend if you have had prior surgery. I had 2 C-sections, hernia surgery and an abdominal tumor removed before I had my LAVH. I suspect the othr surgeries contributed to the adhesion problem
I just wanted to point out again that adhesions can form not only from surgery. I had adhesions and had not had surgery in that area. Adhesions can form at any time, they are your body's natural defense mechanism. My problems all started after a kidney infection. Knowing what I know now, I believe that it was the infection that started my cycle of female problems probably due to the adhesions that formed.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register