Still hurting more than one year post-hysterectomy - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Still hurting more than one year post-hysterectomy Still hurting more than one year post-hysterectomy

Unread 07-27-2004, 02:39 PM
adhesions

Yes, somedays are worse than others, seems if I wear tight jeans, then it gets really bad, other days I can go about my business, and if I think about it, or press on the tummy, I know it is always there. Yes, when it gets bad my back also hurts, if I lean against something, standing my ab hurts, but if I lay down, and the cat jumps on me, or even during sex, it doesn't hurt. No I can't "feel" anything when I press down on abdomen. I also get this "pinching" feeling, like far down on my left side, where ovary used to be really bound up in things! As fas as losing weight, I don;t buy that one. I only weight 118lbs. Also, I don;t have my ovaries, as all was taken out, so it definetly is not related to a cycle. I feel the same as I did 3 months post-op, like thats all the healing I'm gonna get, and I'm almost at the full year mark.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2004, 06:45 PM
Bell Curve

Yes, I can feel my adhesions when I touch my abdomen - I am certain that mine are not deep in my abdominal cavity but rather are attached to the inside surface of my abdominal muscles.

And some days are definitely worse than others - it depends on how long I've been sitting (that seems to be the thing that makes them hurt and swell up the worse), or if I've done (or attempted to do!) some sit ups. Walking around seems to make them feel a bit better.

Yes, I have pain other than in my incision area (although I do have pain there, too, but it's pain on touch and not the 'ropes' deal). My pain is runs up and down my lower abdominal wall on the two sides of my torso.

Yes, they are extremely tight! Frequently when I walk (after I've been sitting all day for work) it feels as if I can't extend my legs to their usual full stride because they are being held back by the discomfort and tightness of the adhesions.

No, I never feel any back pain - that's the one thing that finally went away post-hysterectomy!

-Ropes
Unread 07-27-2004, 08:05 PM
For me

Some days feel worse than others, I feel worse in the evening more than the morning. Some of my adhesion pain is from where they attached my bladder ( or so they say) during the sling. I was told that exercise helps though I doubted it at first. When I exercise I will hurt during and after it more than I like, but after 2 days of 15-20 minutes of walking I am actually doing better.
Back pain yes.

Julie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2004, 07:22 AM
Glad it's not just me!

Thanks for your replies about your adhesion pain, ladies. At the risk of sounding like "Misery loves Company" (I hate that adage because Lord knows I don't wish pain on anyone!), I feel better knowing there are others out there who are functioning on a daily basis with issues just like mine. Ropes, your sensations sound a LOT like mine. I also have the pain up each side of the torso - - but I also feel it across the top part of my incision as well. Sometimes, it feels like my whole belly is one big adhesion!! While I know they're bad (my gynecologist told me that I'm one of only a handful of patients in her practice that have adhesions as thick as mine - - wow, what an honor), I'm hopeful they're not as bad as I imagine them to be. You know how you can get a bump on your face that feels like the size of Montana but really is only a small bump under the skin? I guess that's what I mean - - I'm hoping my perception is just skewed. And, in my research on adhesions, I have read where severity of pain doesn't necessarily indicate the severity of the adhesions. That's just how I'm choosing to think at this point. There are days where I motor right along and barely think about them (although, I always feel them on some level) and then there are days that I'm really uncomfortable. And, like you said, Ropes, that "tight" feeling is really irritating. But walking helps. Thanks, ladies.
Unread 07-30-2004, 04:34 PM
regardng adhesion surgery

Did any of you ladies that had adhesion surgery get relief from it, or did you all find that it made them worse??? I function OK now, just have to watch what I wear, some days are really bad, others OK, but I know everday that I had surgery, (2 actualy lap first, 6 months later hyst. Also, when I had my lap, I developed a 7 inch bruise on the OUTSIDE of my ab, from one incision on the side, down to the pelvic region. Anybody else have that experience with only a lap? That is what makes me really afraid to have another, It seems that every surgery has made a bad situation worse!!
Unread 07-30-2004, 04:52 PM
Still hurting more than one year post-hysterectomy

Yes, I've had extreme bruising from a lap. I've actually looked like a truck ran over me! I think that most of my problems stem from a surgery before the hyst. If I only knew than what I know now. Sigh. Oh well, there's no going back, so I have to do what I can to try to feel better.

Unread 07-30-2004, 08:11 PM

When I was told after my first laparoscopy that I was loaded with adhesions, I had no prior pain from them, but I did have other pain which I later found was due to a fistula, so I guess I probably shouldn't be answering. What I can say is that I did not notice anything after the lap. Now that I have had the hyst. I have a lot of pain and have been told by my doc the other day that I am probably loaded with adhesions again and he feels that that is the cause of my pain. Catch is he wants to do more surgeries, one to remove granulation, another to remove adhesions, and another to repair a rectocele; he told me his partners will not let him do everything at once, so I am seeking a second opinion and will be leaving this doc., hopefully the next one will be better. Keep your fingers crossed.

Toni
Unread 07-30-2004, 09:10 PM

I noticed when I went in for an ultrasound to see if I had ovarian remnants, it hurt to have the technician rub the probe over my belly, which prior to the hysterectomy was not unpleasant at all (last I'd had it done was during the pregnancy). I attribute it to my scar (vertical). I didn't say anything at the time.

Does anyone have any advice regarding this Rolfing technique of massage?

My former PT had told me adhesions can form very deeply after surgery and suggested I massage myself on a regular basis.

Has any one pursued this one their own?

I for one will start more regularly massaging my belly to try to be a little more proactive about potential scar/adhesion formation.
Unread 07-31-2004, 06:08 AM
rolfing

The massage therapist at my chiro. office had me buy this oil, and she and my husband were massaging the area. Going in deep circles, as she called it "pushing it out" to the sides. It hurts while doing it, but I really don't notice any permanent improvement. I think, from what I've read, we are stuck with this forever, it is very depressing. I, for one, was never "warned" of this possible outcome when I was debating this surgery. I truly wish I was. If I had know then that I would feel like this, I would have dealt with the endo pain!! At least there was a hope that would stop when menopause hit naturally. I don't know if what I had done was really "rolfing", maybe that is a more intense thing.
Unread 08-03-2004, 09:28 AM
For Better or Worse?

Hey, ladies.

I don't know if my last surgery for my adhesions made my problem better or worse - - it did make it different, I'll say that. In some ways it's better because I don't feel that intense pulling to the left. However, now it seems like I feel burning tightness over a larger area of my pelvis and this time I can actually palpate little knots that really hurt! Also, there are times when I feel like there is a deeper pulling almost to my back, which causes some back pain. Annoying!! As with most of you - some days are better than others. As for "Rolfing" - - in order to be truly "Rolfed", you need to find a massage therapist who is certified in this technique of massage. No, it won't get rid of your adhesions or even tear them down (unless they are really superficial in which case they are less likely to be causing you pain anyway) but it can help adjust the connective tissue on which the adhesion is pulling. It won't permenantly "fix" you but it will help in relaxing some of these tissues. I also went to PT for four months where they did the type of massage that was referred to earlier - - with the oil and massaging outward in circles. That isn't the same as the Rolfing. Anyway, I don't expect this to fix me permanently but after having to have a laparotomy for my last lysis of adhesions (when she thought she was only going to be doing a laparoscopy), I'm too scared to entertain the thought of another surgery right now.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register