What if you're sick? Still can have surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What if you're sick?  Still can have surgery? What if you're sick? Still can have surgery?

Unread 07-23-2004, 06:50 PM
What if you're sick? Still can have surgery?

I've just come to accept the fact that 'YES, I'm having surgery next week' and now I'm feeling as though I may be getting sick.

I'm severely asthmatic and I get bronchitis often. It usually lasts about 2 weeks.
I feel as though it may be coming on. I can't tell for sure yet, but I'm feeling weak and tired, a bit of congestion, all the usual signs.

What happens if you're sick? Does anyone know what the surgeon/hospital does if you're ill? Do they cancel?? Can I still go through with it?

Thanks in advance.

MarieMarie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2004, 07:56 PM

mariemarie, YES they probably will cancel the surgery, get to your GP & get checked out ASAP, The GP gave me antibiotics to help with sniffles & congestion 12 days out from my surgery. Hope things go well
Unread 07-23-2004, 08:03 PM

Yes, they will probably cancel surgery... Your body needs to be in best working order in order to heal properly... I agree with aussie, go to your gp and have them give you the once over... explain the entire situation to them and hopefully they can help.. good luck! Diana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2004, 08:07 PM
Sick before surgery?

If you have a fever and other symptoms of an infection, they should postpone your surgery. Make sure a nurse or doctor listens to your lungs and takes your temperature, etc before you go into surgery. Let your doctor know now about how you are feeling. They may want to put you on antibiotics or give you other medications to treat your symptoms. Good luck.
Unread 07-23-2004, 09:18 PM

Thank you!

My G.P. doesn't like to put me on antibiotics until he's sure I have bronchitis (colored phlegm...ew) because I get it so often and they stop working if overused. For example, Levaquin and Cipro no longer work for me. I've used the Z-pack the last 2 times I had it and it worked well.

I'll be going in to see him on Monday.

Hate the waiting....!!

MarieMarie
Unread 07-23-2004, 09:47 PM

HI-- I have had asthma since childhood. If you are wheezing or your chest is congested your surgery will probably be canceled. Did you have a PFT (Pulmonary Function Test) ? That was something my doctor used to help her decide if I was well enough for surgery.

Maybe put a call into the answering service this weekend. I think this is a legitimate enough concern to "bother" the doctor on the weekend. If you get to nip this asthmatic episode in the bud now you will be clear next Friday . Maybe even a short dose of steroids either oral or inhaled will help you out. I know when my daughters have a flareup of wheezing etc the oral steroids can clear it right up in just a few days.

Do you have a nebulizer machine? If you do start doing treatments every few hours to try to get things cleared up. At least until you can talk to or see the doctor.

Good luck

--------kangaa

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register