Who will I be? Me or some woman I don't know? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Who will I be? Me or some woman I don't know? Who will I be? Me or some woman I don't know?

Unread 07-24-2004, 01:12 AM
Who will I be? Me or some woman I don't know?

I am scheduled August 5th for hysterectomy and oopherectomy. Losing the uterus made me nervous, but the ovaries really worries me. I am affraid of the mood swings, or better yet becoming that crabby old woman who once lived down the street from me.

I feel like I am losing my woman card.

Thanks, Itsallaboutme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2004, 06:14 AM

I have not yet had my op & I AM that craby old woman who lived down the street from me

You will be you & no one else. you will NOT be an 'it' or a 'thing' you will be you. A woman with out pain or bleeding.

You are a woman with feelings & thoughts, you will have the same feelings & thoughts after your op. Nothing will change in that.

What will change is that you will have had some bits removed to make you the person you once was & not the pain wracked person you have now become.

s
Unread 07-24-2004, 06:40 AM

Hi

I'm 10 months post op (well, almost 11) and I had both ovaries taken. I have been on Vivelle dot since day 1 and I am not the crabby old lady down the street DBF said it's been wonderful...no mood swings, no pms and no taking people's heads off without warning or reason. I feel better than I'd felt in years.

Not everyone has instant success with HRT. If you're going that route, plan on a little "trial and error" time. My dose started at 0.1 and was cut to 0.05 after a couple months. It's worked perfectly for me.

If you're not going HRT, there are herbal alternatives that will help with hot flashes and the like. Surferbabe and the other Sisters over in the Hormone Jungle have lots of wonderful information that they're always willing to share.

Good luck!
s
Cat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2004, 09:13 AM

This was a big fear of mine too!!! I didn't want to become someone else with mood swings, etc. etc. I am almost 4 weeks post-op and I can tell you I am the same person I was before the surgery, but with less parts. I had everything removed because they didn't know how far the cancer had spread. I don't have any menopausal symptoms and am very thankful!!! You just need to keep a "Positive" attitude. Everything will turn out great and you have all these ladies here who are so supportive.

Big hugs to ya,
Deanna
Unread 07-24-2004, 09:39 AM

I'm looking forward to finding out who the real me is.
Living with chronic pain, tends to make a person a little testy. I also feel like I have been a hormonal roller coaster. Hopefully with the HRT I will be a little more even. And then if I am crabby, I guess that is the real me! Ha

LJO

tah/bso on 8/4
Unread 07-24-2004, 10:06 AM

Okay, I don't have the ovary issues - mine are still in residence - but I can tell you that I'm less of a crabby old woman down the street (where I'm sure my family would have rathered I lived in the months before surgery) than I was.

Because I'm not in pain, not exhausted from anemia, not afraid to wear non-black clothes - I'm feeling happier, healthier and more feminine than ever. I quit smoking just days before surgery and have stayed quit. I'm walking pretty regularly, making healthier food choices and drinking water like crazy.

You'll be fine!
Unread 07-24-2004, 10:07 AM

I'm going in Wednesday, and I decided to think this through a few months ago so I could be at peace with my decision, and so I could snap back at anyone who DARED to say ugly and unthinking things! (I have a tacky streak that is wider than my hips!)

Hopefully I'll be able to cling to my belief through the emotional roller coaster that is in my future.

I've decided that "Nancy" resides in an organ that is about 6 inches long - the brain between my ears!! Not in my uterus, my ovaries, my cervix, or anything else the doctor might find when he's excavating around down there. Those things probably have helped me along, but I'm the sum of all that I've seen, done, been, and the generations that have gone before me.

I wouldn't think less of my DH if he lost a limb, or had a stroke, or was in an accident - so I'm not going to think less of myself, either.

As I say, my surgery isn't here yet - Wednesday is the day - but I'm writing down these words and plan to keep them close to my heart and soul.

As to being possessed by another person - I have a couple of close friends I've asked in advance to chart/monitor my mood swings at work -we've survived for a boss who proudly screamed "she'd never taken a hormone during menopause", and we all have a pact that we won't allow each other to follow in those footsteps.
Unread 07-24-2004, 09:14 PM

Hello, and

There are many unknowns to those facing a hyst, and that may certainly result in a person feeling a host of uncertainties: Will I feel better afterwards, or worse? Will I soar into a new world of good health, or will I merely trade one set of problems for another? It's a scary time, that's for sure.

We are all hoping for the best for you. And, if it turns out that do do encounter roadblocks on your journey to good health, remember that we will be here to help you with the challenges.

Many s and Best Wishes to You!
Unread 07-24-2004, 10:34 PM

i had the same worries as you..but rest assured!..i will be 2 weeks post-op on monday,and im ME,better and improved!!..

TAH WITH OVARY REMOVAL ON 7-12-04..endometriosis,adenomyosis,severe bleeding,cysts,high cancer risk

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register