Green Tea & SGS (Next-Gen Antioxidant) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Green Tea & SGS (Next-Gen Antioxidant) Green Tea & SGS (Next-Gen Antioxidant)

Unread 07-25-2004, 11:17 AM
Green Tea & SGS (Next-Gen Antioxidant)

I was responding to Mimny's post about caffeinated green tea (in my "no more chemo" thread) but realized that this info might not get seen if it was buried. Thought this might be helpful:

I drink decaf green tea all the time. There are many brands on the market, so you should be able to find one. With green tea, if it doesn't say "decaf," it's caffeinated. I also take decaf green tea capsules as part of my daily supplement regimen.

There is a new tea brand I found about three days ago at whole foods that's quite interesting. It's made by Brassica and includes "the next-generation antioxidant from broccoli." There are six or eight types of tea, but two were decaf: Green Tea and Black Tea.

The side of the box says:

"Scientists worldwide are examining the role specific natural plant compounds (phytochemicals) may play in supporting the body's natural defence system. The scientists at John Hopkins University School of Medicine who discovered the natural compound Sulfaoraphane Glucosinolate (SGS) in broccoli and concentrated in broccoli sprouts believe that SGS boosts the body's own defense systems. This includes Phase 2 detoxification enzymes, which promote long-lasting antioxidant and essential cellular processes that inactivate free radicals."

I detect a "broccoli undercurrent" in the tea's taste, but it's not at all bad. Has anyone else heard about SGS?

I found it at Whole Foods, just in case anyone's interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-25-2004, 12:38 PM

s Dina

I knew it would make you chuckle to know that even I drink green tea!! Along with a cookie of course.

karenann
Unread 07-25-2004, 01:16 PM

I've been addicted to green for years... that and water are pretty much all I drink anymore. There is a thread about the health benefits of green tea over in Hysteritaville:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=81526

The studies on SGS so far have been done only on rats... the Brassica website cautions against extrapolating the data to humans just yet. That doesn't mean SGS isn't a good thing, just that the data on human studies aren't there yet, so we don't really know.

I'm all for trying to do everything we can to get/stay healthy. My cancer was only non-invasive (at least this time)... I'm trying to avoid a recurrence. Because I can't tolerate Tamoxifen, I take DIM (diindolymethane), also a component of broccoli... check out some of the links about it in the Breast Cancer section of our Resources directory. I realize I could just eat broccoli... nothing against broccoli, but to get the amount of DIM from broccoli that I take in 2 capsules 100mg each per day of DIM, I'd have to eat several pounds of broccoli every day... and that might cause a few undesirable side effects

In fact, I wash down those DIM capsules with green tea

s,
-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-25-2004, 02:23 PM

Hi, Surferbabe!

I also take DIM -- two caps in the morning, and one in the evening. Helps the liver process estrogen correctly. I also try to eat broccoli and kale and dark greens, but there are some weeks where I do well with that, and other weeks where I just eat too much chocolate.

Interesting that SGS studies have only been done in rats. I had no idea. I sent a note to my nutritionist to ask what she knew; she's usually up on all that sort of stuff.

Karen,

I use the green tea to wash down chocolate. So I'm right there with you! I actually had so much chocolate in my house that I bagged it all up and made a friend take it home with her two nights ago. I had several pounds of M&Ms, Reese's, Hershey's Kisses, etc., left over from a large party. It kept calling my name, so it had to go. :-)

Dark chocolate only from now on. I need to make it a treat instead of a daily indulgence. :-) But I fail on that quite a bit. ;-)

s!
Unread 07-26-2004, 01:04 AM

SirenSong,
Thanks for your post. Wow, I didn't know green tea had caffene! And here I thought I was being so good! Bummer. I don't know if I can get decafinated where I am, but I'll try.
About the chocolate, I have cut back to almost none but I endulged in chocolate covered blueberries from Starbucks last night. Sometimes we need a little indulgence.
Some other notes on chocolate;
1.) Oxalic acid is naturally found in many foods. Leafy green vegetables like spinach, blue fruits, carrots, even chocolate has it. One of its activities is that it acts as a natural chemotherapy in the body, killing cancer cells.

2.) Chocolate is a vegetable. Chocolate is derived from cocoa beans. (Bean=Vegetable). .. Sugar is derived from either sugar cane or sugar Beets. Both of them are plants, in the vegetable category.... Thus, chocolate is a vegetable. To go one step further, chocolate candy bars contain milk, which is dairy. So candy bars are health food. Chocolate-covered raisins, cherries, blueberries, strawberries all count as fruit, so eat as many as you want. Remember, "STRESSED' spelled backward is "DESSERTS".
Unread 07-26-2004, 08:49 PM
green tea

Hi SirenSong!
Thanks for reminding me to start drinking the decaf green tea I bought last week! I have been eating broccoli every day, but I hope that the boiling doesn't take away the nutrients. I love chocolate too! I read that hot chocolate has antioxidants, so I have it once or more a week and I count it as a health food!

Hugs and Chocolate,

Twisted Sister
Unread 07-28-2004, 06:59 PM

Susmita!

Your chocolate-is-a-vegetable logic is awesome! I love it! I had no idea desserts was stressed spelled backwards. How funny! "Evian" is "naive" spelled backwards. Another fun fact. ;-)

Everyone else:

Closing the loop, here is a note back from my nutritionist about SGS. Very interesting in terms of how to derive benefit from brassica family vegetables:

From Dr. Wallace:

sulforaphane (anti-cancer constituent in brassica family vegetables) must be masticated (CHEWED and mixed with saliva) in order to be activated.....so "pills" are not useful. Since most people drink tea by gulping--rather than holding the tea in their mouth and swishing to mix it with their saliva--I doubt the product will offer the intended benefits.

Guess it's back to actually EATING the broccoli and brussels sprouts !

Hope you are doing well.
Kindly,
Jeanne
Unread 07-28-2004, 07:00 PM

PS to Susmita:

You should be able to get decaf green tea anywhere. Any health food store should have it. It's pretty common these days. :-)
Unread 07-28-2004, 07:35 PM

Siren - I have been drinking these teas for about six months now. I have a friend who is a natural foods distributor and she brought me a box of each to try. I only drink decaf since my surgery, but I do serve the caffeinated to friends. I like the tea.
I also drink the traditional medicinals teas.

Jan
Unread 07-28-2004, 07:44 PM

Hi, Jan!

I thought it was interesting that the benefit of the SGS component of these teas isn't really helpful unless it's mixed with saliva or chewed. I guess the lesson is, hold the tea in your mouth for a while before swallowing, or just eat broccoli. ;-)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register