pregnant with HPV..questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pregnant with HPV..questions pregnant with HPV..questions

Unread 07-25-2004, 01:05 PM
Pregnant with hpv

ok well im 14 weeks pregant.. and i went to the doctor two days ago and he told me my pap came back abnormal... and saying i have cancerous cells... after i heard that.. my mind just went somewhere.. i got really scared.. i wanted to cry but i held it back...i was so confused i didnt reallty understand what he was telling me..then he had my mom leave the room... (im young, so yeha my mom comes with me, b/c i want her to, for comfort) so she leaves.. and then he starts talking to me about dysplasia and HPV... he told he its sexual transmitted... and its the most commom std .. he told me it wont effect the baby at all.. but ive been reading stuff about warts developing on the vocal cords... which got me scared.. but he told me everyhting would be ok.. and he didnt mention anything about a c section.. he also said he cant do anything until after i give birth is that true???? and is dysplasia and hpv the same this... if not what are they.. im going to talk to him more about it when i go back.. but in the mean time i wanna get some answer and help... cuz iv been stressin... he mentions that its low grade dysplasia... sorry for rambling on and on... but im looking for insight and answers to ease my worrys cuz i left the office really worried and confused.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-25-2004, 06:45 PM
pregnant with HPV..questions

Stacy,
I am so sorry to hear about this. You are dealing with enough, being so young and pregnant. Your doctor is right, he can't do anything until after delivery without risking a miscarriage.

HPV is a virus that the majority of sexually active people have. It doesn't do anything to men but can lead to cancer in women. In 99% of women it doesn't ever turn into cancer. Dysplasia is when the cells begin to turn to cancer but it can take years and years for that to actually happen. There are three levels of dyplasia then pre-cancer then cancer. I've also heard that pregnancy slows down the cervical changes. Usually dysplasia is treated by removing those cells from the cervix but that's risky if you are pregnant.

Again, I am so sorry that you are so young, unmarried, and pregnant, and now have another problem to deal with. Try not to worry about the dysplasia. You might want to make a list of questions and then make another appointment with the doctor to ask him the questions. The dysplasia will not affect the baby at all. I've never heard of warts on the vocal cords but the baby can't get anything from your dysplasia. HPV is the virus that causes dysplasia. It doesn't do anything to anyone's vocal cords.

I assume your parents know that you are pregnant. Did you tell them about this dysplasia? They might be able to help advise you and help you talk with the doctor too.

Have you finished high school yet? Do you have a job? You have so much to deal with at such a young age. So much stress! You have my sympathies. Please ask any other questions that you have. We'll try our best to help you. Hang in there, none of this is the end of the world. You and your baby will be fine. Concentrate on preparing yourself for a good future and try not to worry about the dysplasia.

Hugs and comfort,
Janie
Unread 07-26-2004, 05:26 AM

Thanks Jane,..... no, im afarid to say i havn't finished high school, but im going to. (after the babys born) also after the babys born im getting married. my boyfriend is very supportive and has a good job...... yes, my mom knows about the dysplasia.. i told her when we got home.. she and i looked stuff up on the net and we did infact write down questions that we wanted to ask my Doc.. we'll do so when i go to see him in 3 weeks.. so hopefully then ill feel better.... thankx again....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2004, 05:31 PM

First, congratulations on your pregnancy. Unplanned and unwanted are very different things. Stay on your Mom's good side because you'll benefit from the support. I'm in my early 40's with two young kids and I still need my momma sometimes. And I don't just mean for babysitting.

Now for the good news. Mild dysplasia often goes away on its own and if it does hang around one treatment usually does the trick. All the same, you're gonna have to be good about getting your paps FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE because it can rear its mean little head years and years later and progress to cervical cancer. Stay ahead of it. You have a child to raise.

Now for the better news and I speak from experience. I had my second go round with dysplasia when I was pregnant with my first child. I had to have a colposcopy, just like a pap except they use binocular type things to have a closer look. I also had a biopsy at 14 weeks. That gave them enough information to know my dysplasia wasn't likely to progress to cancer in the next 6 or so months of pregnancy. They did another pap when I was about 26 weeks and it was slightly improved. After the baby was born I had a leep procedure and then frequent paps. Got pregnant again and did the same thing all over again. (My situation was followed closely because I had a bad pap a couple of years before I got pregnant and it came back. Usually it doesn't.)

So, breathe easy. But never, ever blow off a pap.

All the best, Laura

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register